Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed Level

Our bed is level but the softer shelf pad left a ridge when sleeping even with a topper. We now use the thinner parcel shelf mattress from Comfortz with a topper and the problem is sorted.
Also gain a bit of extra storage under the bed.

I haven't read all the detail in the posts... But we have a Comfortz foam pad unused and new surplus to requirements to fit on the rear shelf and designed to make it level. We ordered that on the advice of Comfortz, but in the event our bed is level in the upper position without it.

We have exactly the same problem on our 2012 California SE. I am sure I read in another thread that this was a specific problem to a particular model year - but perhaps I have remembered incorrectly.

This weekend I fitted some 18mm thick MDF under the cushion. I drilled pairs of holes through it and fixed it securely in place to the wire shelf with heavy duty tie wraps. We are going away this weekend so I will tell you how we get on.

Did not want to add the extra weight of MDF, but do want a comfortable sleep.

BTW we also have the zonesleep topper which is excellent - but definitely does not iron out the height difference.

Tried the bed out with the MDF last night - worked brilliantly. Much more comfortable. That does mean that the level was out by around 18mm though...

Tried the bed out with the MDF last night - worked brilliantly. Much more comfortable. That does mean that the level was out by around 18mm though...

Pleased to hear you found a solution. I went for a slightly different option. I visited a local packaging company and picked up 10 large sheets of cardboard for £1.50 per sheet. I stencilled the mattress and one by one place the cardboard sheets inside the mattress cover underneath the sponge. I went with 8 cardboard sheets and it zipped up tight but not enough to stress the zip. It has raised the mattress by about 20-25mm to just the right height. I liked this option as it was lightweight and I could fine tune the height by adding fewer or more sheets.

I have found this a massive improvement and don't feel the need to add a topper now, I like firm so it is perfectly comfortable as it is for me.

Back