Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed over cab

Gr calidreamland

Gr calidreamland

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello, this year finally we´ll go to England. And one of the things I´m worried is about my son. He doesn´t stop growning and the bed over cab is too small. Does anyone have the magic solution to extend the bed?

Hei, i år drar vi endelig til England. Og en av de tingene jeg er bekymret for, er for sønnen min. Han slutter ikke å vokse, og sengen over førerhuset er for liten. Er det noen som har den magiske løsningen for å utvide sengen?

Thank you Sven. It's ingenious, it rests on the ladder, doesn't it? Is it made with wood?​

My teenage son is over six foot tall and sleeps quite happily, diagonally across the bed, foot at the extension corner, head at the sliding door side, using a sleeping bag and pillow.

My teenage son is over six foot tall and sleeps quite happily, diagonally across the bed, foot at the extension corner, head at the sliding door side, using a sleeping bag and pillow.
I didn't find the length or width of the top bed in a GC600 a problem, it was the head height, I constantly turn over in the night & I had to position myself under the roof light to have enough room height to fit my shoulders. The other thing that I didnt like was if I pulled the duvet up to far, there wasn't anyway I could get it back down the bed to cover my feet.

If I needed a 3 berth again I would either look to change the rear bench for something with a folding mechanism make a simple downstairs additional bed, or look at a cab bed spanning across the van.

When looking in to this myself I was quite surprised that there doesn’t seem to be an off the shelf bed extension solution from one of the accessory providers. How easy is it to store Sven? I wondered if you might be able to put a hinge in it somewhere so it can fold when not in use.

When looking in to this myself I was quite surprised that there doesn’t seem to be an off the shelf bed extension solution from one of the accessory providers. How easy is it to store Sven? I wondered if you might be able to put a hinge in it somewhere so it can fold when not in use.
Remove and place it on the mattress after use. Take it with you if necessary. No weight 4mm veneer. No changes to the original vw construction. My family is 30 year and 188 cm slip good.

Remove and place it on the mattress after use. Take it with you if necessary. No weight 4mm veneer. No changes to the original vw construction. My family is 30 year and 188 cm slip good.
You should start selling them on Etsy or something, 50o Nord charge €183 for some boxes :D

Make a cardboard template for the desired size. The board is put in place when the guest is in the bunk. Skylight creates extra ceiling height when the blinds are off. The board is lifted away so that the ladder can be used from the bunk, good morning. The two legs are hinged. Good luck.

Make a cardboard template for the desired size. The board is put in place when the guest is in the bunk. Skylight creates extra ceiling height when the blinds are off. The board is lifted away so that the ladder can be used from the bunk, good morning. The two legs are hinged. Good luck.
The board is put on and removed from the upper bunk after the ladder has been used or is to be used without problems.

Looks like a good idea, wonder if the rear bench can be converted into a bed towards sliding door

What you can do, on right hand drive models, is remove the table, turn the passenger seat, tilt the seat back, fill in the gap where the table was with suitcases, cushions etc to the hight of the bench, and then sleep there. As an overweight pensioner, slightly above average height, with a bad back, it's worked for me!

The Knaus 600XL is the other solution! ;)

Bit more expensive than the bed extension idea but a great size double up there.

What you can do, on right hand drive models, is remove the table, turn the passenger seat, tilt the seat back, fill in the gap where the table was with suitcases, cushions etc to the hight of the bench, and then sleep there. As an overweight pensioner, slightly above average height, with a bad back, it's worked for me!

Thats exactly how my daughter preferred to sleep, she would rather do that than use to top bed. The dog liked it like that as well.
Makes me think if we were to have a GC again we would go for a 680 and make a bed for the front.IMG_4470.jpeg