Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beginners questions

A

AndyP12345

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello All

here are my first newbie questions...

1.struggling with sourcing Campinggaz 907 bottles seems to be a COVID shortage. we are in Poole any local Cali owners have any advice
2.what length hook up cable would most recommend 10 or 25m?
3. what is best way to manage fresh water, 5m food safe hose and attachments and some flexible 10l water containers and a funnel
4. what other essentials should we buy straight away

Hi AndyP12345 and welcome
1) not local to you so cant help
2) I have gone for a 10m and 15m - the 10m does most places if not the 15m so less wet cable to put away then on rare occasions you can double them up to give you 25m
3) I have carried a hose for 3 years and only used once, I prefer a 10Lt plastic jerry can with spout more flexible for toping up when need and less chance of any contamination
4) leveling ramps if like me your sensitive to sleeping head lower than feet, gives you better chance to get rear of roof into wind on a slopping site. Assuming you have kitchen basics (pots, kettle, plates etc) your good to go everything else can be added later if you find the need.

Hope you get out soon and enjoy your van
Kelvin

Here is my tuppence worth with your questions. I was where you are with a new Ocean 2 years ago.

1. Look on ebay. I have found a local source just 10 miles away who provides a refilled 907.
2. 25M. Many sites do not have a EHU immediately adjacent your pitch. We keep ours in an IKEA zip bag.
3, We refill at home. Also carry 2Ltr bottled water as backup. We carry 3M hose to refill 2x tap adapters - 1 hozelock type push connector, 1 push on with screw band fastening. Also stored in same IKEA as 2 above. Only used adapter 2x in 2 years.
4. Decide if you are going to use Ocean cooking facilities. If yes, then range of stackable pots, ridgeway pan, cutlery, Cuboid heater (when on hookup). Also decide if you want separate awning tent, Certainly helps provide extra space when stopping 2 nights or more.

Agreed - just used them via eBay really good service

Hi Andyp
Go on gumtree type in Gas bottle chap has one in Barton on sea, Add is 5 days old give it a go .

Alan.

Hi Andyp

With regards to your electric hook up cable I personally use a 25m gives you more flexibility when pitching.

Alan

thanks. just called him going to pop over shortly. found some at gas express as well just need old cylinder to hand in

LENGTH OF HOOKUP CABLE NEEDED​

This is already a very informative thread if you use the search function.
Consensus seems to be 10m+15m with a waterproof connector cover at the join if 25m is required.

If you do get cylinder from eBay etc, it‘s worth checking that it comes with the screw in cap/carrying handle. You’ll need to have one when you get a refill ( my supplier won’t do a cylinder exchange without the cap).
They cost £3, if you do need one.

Came with a sealed top so we should be good to go

Hello All

1.struggling with sourcing Campinggaz 907 bottles seems to be a COVID shortage. we are in Poole any local Cali owners have any advice
3. what is best way to manage fresh water, 5m food safe hose and attachments and some flexible 10l water containers and a funnel
1. There is a search filter on campingaz site however we found a campsite near us who sell them not on list so worth ringing round
2. we have a 25 m and a 10m, it’s annoying to unravel 25m when the hook up point right by you!
3. Containers you can clean
4. Ridgemonkey, rainbow screens covers, cadac, duvalay toppers, dog!

Hello All

Have you tried Go Outdoors in Poole? They had a few when we bought our first one a few weeks ago.

Get an empty bottle off Ebay. Then exchange at go outdoors.
I get my 907s from a local boat yard where I live so if you are near a canal check them out

Thanks for advice on Gas managed to get one on Gumtree

Hi AndyP12345 and welcome
1) not local to you so cant help
2) I have gone for a 10m and 15m - the 10m does most places if not the 15m so less wet cable to put away then on rare occasions you can double them up to give you 25m
3) I have carried a hose for 3 years and only used once, I prefer a 10Lt plastic jerry can with spout more flexible for toping up when need and less chance of any contamination
4) leveling ramps if like me your sensitive to sleeping head lower than feet, gives you better chance to get rear of roof into wind on a slopping site. Assuming you have kitchen basics (pots, kettle, plates etc) your good to go everything else can be added later if you find the need.

Hope you get out soon and enjoy your van
Kelvin
I also have a 10m and a 15m.

However the CMC do not allow you to join them (if they see them), whereas the CACC do.