Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ORDERED - HOW EXCITING

veg_frenzy

veg_frenzy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Well we've done it! Cali is ordered. Expected April 2014, so trying to remain calm until them.
Some typical 'newbie' questions if I may:

1. Insurance: Any suggestions for appropriate and value deals? Any views on 'return to invoice' type extra insurance in the event of total loss?

2. New owner essentials: Would appreciate views on what would be the things we should source before delivery. We've got the seat covers and mattress topper covered already. Think we need focus on some kitchen equipment and van management (i.e. power cables, levellers, etc.). I recognise this would vary dependant on views on usage. Initially we're thinking UK based for 2014, weekends and maybe a few full weeks. Also intend attending some 'meets' where we can pick the brains of the experienced experts (yourselves of course).

3. Where to go: Any trip suggestions welcomed. Bearing in mind we're new to this game! Open to any suggestions. We relatively mobile and open to most interests.

4. Meets: We're definitely interested in joining the family, so will look to come to meets where we can. COTF seems a good option (actually visited last year on the Saturday as an observer). Any others you'd recommend.

Think that covers it for now. Glad to be on board. Thanks to those who have provided me advise with selection/sourcing process - appreciated.

Try comfort insurance they sponsor the forum and seem very popular.
Mine is £245 fully comp. Give them a ring and mention the forum :thumb

Welcome aboard the financial rollercoaster, glad to have another Cali onboard. I say that as you asked about recommended things to go with the van :crazy :help it can become all consuming if you don't take the tablets.

I use A-Plan for the insurance but looking at Kevs cost at Comfort it looks like I will also look again at Comfort this year.

I have just picked up mine and insured it with VW they were very keen to do business, and have done it fully comp for under £250.00 for me and the wife I just mentioned another company and price and they did it cheaper with out me saying a price, they appear to really want your business.

Caravan & Camping Club insurance, don't need to be member apparently. Underwritten by Groupama & cost me about £370.
Have a look in the Insurance sub forum.

Best accessory I've bought was VW monster matts, basically sturdy rubber matts to keep carpets clean.
Bought cheap matt from Lidl or Aldi for the rear, when it gets dirty either put in washing machine or buy a new one.

Agree that VW insurance good at the moment, matched Comfort insurance on price and seem to offer just as good, if not a little better, policy. We keep our Cali on the street and the majority of insurers will not cover this but the two who did, comfort and VW did and were also the cheapest by far (C&C quote was an absolute joke).

Otherwise try to enjoy the wait for the van but it will seem frustrating every time a good day rolls and the Cali is not with you yet. Spend the time researching stuff to go in it, there are some fun items out there.

Andy

Pete Wilkins said:
I have just picked up mine and insured it with VW they were very keen to do business, and have done it fully comp for under £250.00 for me and the wife I just mentioned another company and price and they did it cheaper with out me saying a price, they appear to really want your business.

That's some price from VW?? They were over £150 more for our Beach quote than Admiral.... :?

Cheers

Shaun

bournemouthbeach said:
Pete Wilkins said:

That's some price from VW?? They were over £150 more for our Beach quote than Admiral.... :?

Cheers

Shaun
Yup for me too…in fact I think the difference was even more for me.
I might try them again next year to see how they compare as for some reason I feel a level of comfort going with VW who at least really get the product…I'm still not entirely convinced that Admiral do, even though they have it on their system!

veg_frenzy said:
Well we've done it! Cali is ordered. Expected April 2014, so trying to remain calm until them.
Some typical 'newbie' questions if I may:

1. Insurance: Any suggestions for appropriate and value deals? Any views on 'return to invoice' type extra insurance in the event of total loss? We use Comfort and are happy with them.

2. New owner essentials: Would appreciate views on what would be the things we should source before delivery. We've got the seat covers and mattress topper covered already. Think we need focus on some kitchen equipment and van management (i.e. power cables, levellers, etc.). I recognise this would vary dependant on views on usage. Initially we're thinking UK based for 2014, weekends and maybe a few full weeks. Also intend attending some 'meets' where we can pick the brains of the experienced experts (yourselves of course). Get a Euro plug adaptor, a 25m hookup cable, Thule levellers, the usual kitchen kit and a bottle opener. I'd also consider a roof cover if you might camp in heavy weather; the canvas is okay up to a point but will leak as our poor baby girl found out! We went for the cheap but very effective Pucer cover

3. Where to go: Any trip suggestions welcomed. Bearing in mind we're new to this game! Open to any suggestions. We relatively mobile and open to most interests. Start local in case you forget anything then just explore in the best vehicle ever!

4. Meets: We're definitely interested in joining the family, so will look to come to meets where we can. COTF seems a good option (actually visited last year on the Saturday as an observer). Any others you'd recommend. We just meet Cali people on our travels.

Think that covers it for now. Glad to be on board. Thanks to those who have provided me advise with selection/sourcing process - appreciated.

"Answers" above - and congratulations!