Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Being secure at night..

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I feel a little ashamed asking such a basic question, but I don't find the manual clear. If you are sleeping in the van at night and want to have all the doors locked what is the best way to do this? This also includes being able to go out for a wee, using the side door, without fear of being locked out etc. I've read about the motion sensor and how you can disable it by opening/closing the driver door etc but still not clear what is easiest. Also is it best to have keys in or out of ignition?

When going bed my keys are stashed somewhere safe (not in the ignition) & I use the lock/unlock button on top of the drivers door & the only way to get locked out is if your misses has got the hump with you and locks you out!

The auto re-lock function only activates if you unlock the vehicle with your remote & none of the doors are opened within a set time it then re locks the doors, if this happened you'd still be inside the van or outside with the keys.

If I go out for a wee after already locking the doors for the night I'd usually pull the sliding door handle once and release which unlocks the door then pull the handle again to open door & if you close it behind you then it will not re lock until you lock it yourself after getting back in!

I suppose the worry is that the toilet block is a fair walk from your pitch & you have your newspaper under your arm so may be away for a while, for this there is several options which if wifey was asleep I'd wake her up & depending on her mood I may take my keys with me just in case she locks me out.

As Robo said above, the lock switch on the drivers door below the mirror switch. Internal sensors are not activated.

Thank you all for very comprehensive and quick replies. I should be safe tonight as long as I don't fall out with my wife. I guess if it's a bad fall out hiding the keys in the van would also prevent her driving off with it!

Thank you all for very comprehensive and quick replies. I should be safe tonight as long as I don't fall out with my wife. I guess if it's a bad fall out hiding the keys in the van would also prevent her driving off with it!

You could end up returning from the santairy block afther a shower finding another camper on your spot....:D

Don't get to freaky about security or you end up doing nothing but worrying.
On a campsite you'r pretty safe , only don't leave expencive stuff all over the place unattended.

That has answered an unasked question of mine - my worry is when my grandson age 11 is with me, I worry about him getting out to go to the toilet and not being able to get back in. The kind of places I camp when he's with me, I usually just don't worry about locking up, but we might want to freecamp now he's older.

It has happened once while vehicle locked on drivers door button and sliding door opened and closed, it was locked and could not be opened from the outside. I was inside so I could unlock the door again.

I found as previous replies lock the car from the drivers door it only locks the doors , to get out in an emergency you have to operate the unlock handles two times this works on both front doors and the side door if you only do it once you will feel you are locked in I was very concerned when I locked the car I could not open the doors even my dealer did not have an answer, When he contacted VW tec support no answer was forth coming from them

Good thing I found was yes you can store your breakdown card in the flap that covers your mobile phone storage location is there a breakdown card or as I was told its in ones handbook

In 45 years of camping, 20 in campervans I know of only 2 occasions when something was stolen.
1 My bottle of whisky left outside on table near Calais
2 Motorcyclists stole items from campsite in SE France.

Very rarely do we lock the van on campsites, even when we visit toilet blocks or washing up areas. :cheers:cheers

Early in my Cali camping days (9 years ago!) I discovered the hard way that you need to disable the interior alarm if you leave the van with the roof up. As soon as you're beyond running-back distance, the slightest puff of wind, or even - on one occasion - a bee flying around inside, can set it off and annoy the hell out of other campers. Now I've discovered - thanks to this thread - that I don't have to do this when inside at night - just lock the doors via the switch on the driver door! Thanks, from an idiot!