Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Random things we've learned the hard way

ChrisandPenney52

ChrisandPenney52

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Here are some things that we have learned the hard way in two years of ownership, or heard of others who did. There must be many more:

Make sure that nothing is pushing against the inside or outside of the sliding cupboard doors or you may end up pulling the segments apart (I did, and one of the door panels is now gaffer taped)

Don't put a big pan on the right hand burner when the bowl is in the sink. The gas will melt the edge of your bowl (we have a melted rim on our bowl)

Always check that the ledge round the pop up roof is clear of all the things you parked 'upstairs' before you lower it, or you may squidge your iPhone / water bottle / keys, or bend the roof (several near misses here)

If you rotate the driver's seat when it's in the wrong place it scratches the door pillar (yes, we have some scratches on the door pillar and also on top of the handbrake when we've forgotten to release it to turn the seat).

Don't stand on the arm rests! They break. (No, we haven't but I know it's happened to others)

Turn the gas supply off at the valve in the left hand cupboard under the burner after use (prevents young inquiring minds doing themselves and the van terminal damage even if the gas is on at the bottle).

Take the keys out of the ignition when you have put the roof up to prevent any chance of someone accidentally squidging upstairs occupants whist trying to adjust the fridge temperature.

If the van is locked with the keys or plipper it really is deadlocked. You cannot get out or open any windows. Instead, when you're camping and want security, use the lock button inside on the driver's door to secure all the doors and then just release the sliding door to get out. Relock the sliding door with the button above the sliding door release to re-secure

On a less safety You need to open the water tank filler cap if you want to drain the fresh water - otherwise you just get an air lock. This is basic physics and I'm sure any ex-caravanner will know it, but we're not and I forget it every time I clean out the fresh water tank.

Chris

Further to Chris and Penneys wise comments I have had a problem with the flexible light stalk for the upstairs bedroom. It's snapped off at the fixing .
Could not understand it and it is being repaired under warranty BUT I think that possibly I may have broken it myself by raising the bed with out disconnecting the light from the mattress. It,s a stupid design detail but has anyone else done this I wonder?

David

What a useful thread - and slightly amusing too! :lol: :clap :clap

If you close the tailgate on the end of a bike handlebar it will close. However it twists the tailgate causing one side to sit proud. We are careful when loading the boot now not to have anything poking to far out.

Although the floor in the back looks mega tough we have managed to put a small 1cm cut in it somehow. Maybe a piece of flint in a shoe tread.

Make sure the rear cupboard door is shut before the tailgate is shut.

Not happened to me but, met someone who had to have a new mattress upstairs. The flexi light was on while the roof was down ( they are adamant they had switched it off) and it had melted the plastic/vinyl covering (it could have been much worse). Luckily he managed to persuade VW Customer Services, after some persuasion, to replace it (the supplying dealer wasn't interested).
I always make doubly sure it is switched off, I personally don't trust these rotating switches in such a tight space, especially after hearing their tale of woe.

Hubert

One I'd forgotten about - camping under pines last year we missed an innocent little pine nut which made a regular pattern of dents in the awning when we wound it in. Always check now, especially if we are camping under trees of any sort

DavidofHook said:
Further to Chris and Penneys wise comments I have had a problem with the flexible light stalk for the upstairs bedroom. It's snapped off at the fixing .
Could not understand it and it is being repaired under warranty BUT I think that possibly I may have broken it myself by raising the bed with out disconnecting the light from the mattress. It,s a stupid design detail but has anyone else done this I wonder?

David

Happened to me 2 days ago - 7 days in to a trip to Spain/France, so roof up and down daily over that period, light not used much (other than to bend it out of the way), and on one of those occasions (bending it out of the way), it just broke - right at the point where it is mounted - clean break.

So a trip to VW on the cards when I get back - the Cali is only 9 weeks old!

Steve

Just did a silly one. We could not work out what an odd smell was. A bit like stale rubbish and only smelt it on the move. Tried all sorts without joy.

Then checked the waste water tank; what we thought was open was actually closed. Three months of waste water festering - urgh!

Part of the reason it happened though is that I think both water gauges are faulty. One for our local dealer as well as excessively squeaky brakes and an occasional knocking sound I think might be a suspension mount that needs tightening!

Thanks,
For hints,
I would add that green naturally powered lemon cleaner took all the plating off my tap and spout.
I also found my upstairs lamp snapped off be warned.
Thanks
Alan