Bellows

Let’s see how long these stay on the Cali before replacing for the 06S
This is my 5th set

View attachment 124325
Hopefully they will not leak and you can take your mind off it, god knows you deserve it for going through so many sets and doing VW’s testing for them!!

My cali has been with Vw 4 days they confirm bellows leak.They are now waiting for a fix from vw. now i have to wait and see how long this takes as dealer ,said there’s no point to keep changing them until they have fixed the issue. I agree with that as I don’t want mine being replaced on a regular basis!
It’s all hassle , I just want to get out and enjoy the vehicle, topper at the ready!!!

I sprayed my 03S with Aquatex yesterday, now need to wait for a suitable day to try them in anger. TBH I cannot bare the thought of VW changing the bellows.
I hate to think what stresses and strains all the mechanisms etc have been put under to change all those Bellows. Hope the 5S works though!

My cali has been with Vw 4 days they confirm bellows leak.They are now waiting for a fix from vw. now i have to wait and see how long this takes as dealer ,said there’s no point to keep changing them until they have fixed the issue. I agree with that as I don’t want mine being replaced on a regular basis!
It’s all hassle , I just want to get out and enjoy the vehicle, topper at the ready!!!
Breeze Havant?

If the 03s to 05s bellows have been supplied by the same manufacturer maybe it is time for VW to tell them to get stuffed and find another manufacturer?
After the Japanese earthquake (and then the war for Ukraine) exposed many OEMs to single source supplier issues nearly all procurement for parts has moved to multi source. There will be at least two, maybe more, suppliers for the Bellows. Entirely plausible it is one of them that is the source of many quality issues.

I sprayed my 03S with Aquatex yesterday, now need to wait for a suitable day to try them in anger. TBH I cannot bare the thought of VW changing the bellows.
I hate to think what stresses and strains all the mechanisms etc have been put under to change all those Bellows. Hope the 5S works though!
Once sprayed the warranty will be void

Only if you tell them, and one Dealership on the Continent advised an owner to do just that.
As these sealants are invisible when dry I very much doubt any Dealership or VW are going to put each bellows under scientific analysis to prove a chemical agent has been used.

What is Aquatex?, I didn’t put anything on it, feel free to send the bellows to a lab for analysis! my replies if ever asked but the reality is, if it does not leak I will never be claiming for it…..
VW commercial probably monitor the forum. So I would like to make it quite clear that I have absolutely no intention when getting our new van home of using aquatex. I will not be popping up the roof and applying a first coat of aquatex, waiting two hours, and applying a final coat. Subsequently, if the bellows leak after having done none of the above I will be calling in my VW warranty.

You may find that O5s bellows are just O4S sprayed with Aquatex or something similar . From my discussions with various dealers VW HQ are now starting to authorise Aquatex on a case by case basis and even have had a recommendation that if I’m worried just apply Aquatex from day one … so I think the concern about voiding warranties is definitely reduced As VW grapple with the issue. My cynicism would think By customers applying it from day one there would then be a drastic reduction of complaints …but reflecting on this , who cares as long as the bellows dont leak and not damaged. I would rather that than endless trips to the dealer for repeat fittings. Every time I’ve ever been near a dealer with a Cali something doesn’t look quite right afterwards and the only scratches I’ve ever got on my Cali are from the dealer. I think the whole thing has mellowed and far more accepting as to how to overcome the issue than a couple of years ago. Sometimes life is just too short so just take a pragmatic approach and do what needs to be done. At £10 a can it’s not exactly breaking the bank. Let’s just get out there and enjoy our vans

VW commercial probably monitor the forum. So I would like to make it quite clear that I have absolutely no intention when getting our new van home of using aquatex. I will not be popping up the roof and applying a first coat of aquatex, waiting two hours, and applying a final coat. Subsequently, if the bellows leak after having done none of the above I will be calling in my VW warranty.

I doubt it to that extent but if there are cases already of authorisation to apply a water proofer the precedent has already been set.

It would probably take months to reach a decision, but I still believe that the Motor Ombudsman would rule favourably in the event of any owner having a replacement bellow warranty claim rejected because they had use a waterproofer.

Given the clear evidence of VW's inability over many months (if not more) to provide a solution that works, what other options did owners have to stop the water ingress?
  • Reject their van and demand a full refund.
  • Spend money on a topper with the inconvenience of having to fit it whenever a rain shower was forecast.
  • Allow VW to replace their bellows for another set with a high chance that the new set would be no better.
  • Apply a reputable brand waterproofing spray designed for use on caravan awnings and other camping material that has been proven to work in the short term and possibly longer.
I hope it doesn't end up in a fight, but if my Aquatex treatment fails and VW refuse to replace the bellows then I will be initiating the process with the Ombudsman.

I still don't know how VW can f**k this up so big time.

I was in Bretagne 2 weeks ago and about 3 nights in a row there was rain. 2 nights quite heavy.
The first heavy rain, my van was parked up sideways. Of course the bellows became wet, but apart from some condensation, there was no water leaking inside, despite the heavy wind and the heavy rain.
And mine is just a single sheet of cotton? fabric.
You would suppose, when they bring out a new (synthetic?) fabric, it is even more waterproof than just a single layer of heavy T-shirt like fabric?
Or is it really at the seams? Then why don't they just heat glue them togheter instead of sewing them?

Oh well, I really hope you get this sorted out, and all the other unfortunate recent Cali owners!

Internal cover isn’t going to stop the water coming in is it.

Simple solution is for VW to revert back to the tried and tested fabric used on older vans.

In the meantime, would be very wary about applying aquatex etc unless you are happy keeping the van with a substandard roof. But would suggest you instead fit an internal isotop, to avoid any warranty issues.

Once the van is outside of the warranty period, VW will most likely class any repair as a ‘goodwill’ fix on a one off basis.

VW love a legal fight, even if they are 100% in the wrong - anyone remember the emissions scandal?
Personally I think that is the worst possible thing to do. An internal cover may keep You dry but the van would be wet with no easy way of drying it out and leave it permanently damp inside and a prime candidate for Mould. A perfect excuse for VW to refuse a warranty repair as you have made the problem worse.

An External cover would be better protection to stop water ingress in the first place.

I hardly think applying Aquatex or equivalent leaves you with a substandard roof bellows. You will accomplish the same thing as VW are trying to accomplish by a different method. Also, as Aquatex seems to have worked for those who have done it then why would you want to get the bellows replaced. Its waterproof so Enjoy.

Last edited:
It would probably take months to reach a decision, but I still believe that the Motor Ombudsman would rule favourably in the event of any owner having a replacement bellow warranty claim rejected because they had use a waterproofer.

Given the clear evidence of VW's inability over many months (if not more) to provide a solution that works, what other options did owners have to stop the water ingress?
  • Reject their van and demand a full refund.
  • Spend money on a topper with the inconvenience of having to fit it whenever a rain shower was forecast.
  • Allow VW to replace their bellows for another set with a high chance that the new set would be no better.
  • Apply a reputable brand waterproofing spray designed for use on caravan awnings and other camping material that has been proven to work in the short term and possibly longer.
I hope it doesn't end up in a fight, but if my Aquatex treatment fails and VW refuse to replace the bellows then I will be initiating the process with the Ombudsman.
A potential class action? There are enough of us to pool together.

I can see the Google add popping up now..." Did you own a California after Oct 23? Do your bellows leak? You may be due compensation"

I am pragmatic, it's an old age thing...Aquatex seems to work and putting on our pop top cover takes five minutes. If the forecast is awful we tend to put it on anyway so we can lower the roof with dry bellows in the morning.

Just open the roof on the next dry day to give it an airing. Same as you do with any tent that has been packed whilst damp.

Waterproofing products are great, but VW are likely to use any excuse to side step a warranty claim.
The bellows material is waterproof, you have the internal isotherm cover. If you are prepared to remove the Isotherm when you raise the roof to dry out that would work but what a faff compared to using an External Cover or a can of Aquatex.
You have to get rid of any water ingress between bellows and Isotherm.

Back