Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Choice Drive away awning

D

Doyle17

Hi all,

Just about to hit the road for a few weeks road trip with our 13 month old daughter in to. looking at getting a drive away awning that isn't to big as we will probably end up using it as living space more than anything else this time round. i know there are alot on the market so wanted some views on best options as i currently have a roll out awning which although handy isn't really practical for our needs.

Any help/advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Doyle

Think we're going with the Vango Kela, not keen on the kyham joints and reviews say the material is not the best. Only think about the kela that put me off is the sawn in ground sheet

Depends on your budget ..?? Or if there isn't one ??? :)
How big you need it and how often it will be used and whether or not its an up and down for a few days or a stayer for a longer holiday ....all factors need to be looked at ....:)

Hey all,
Thanks for the replies. Firstly budget is less than £500 if possible. Also I actually wanted to be able to ditch the roll out awning and go with a figure 8 attachment as it is neater and also reduces the height of the van slightly. I didn't know about the joint issue on the first suggestion so something to consider and also in response to the other questions I will have times where it will go on for 1/2 days and others where it will be used for longer than a week....

Cheers
Doyle

Khyam was our choice, very quick to erect. Had no problems with it and thoroughly recommend it. Been using it for almost 4 years now. Had Khyam tents before this too which are also excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have had the Khyams, but are looking to change to the Vango blow up awnings, now. We like the idea of a sewn in ground sheet, and obvious they are very compact when in the bag.

We will be selling our khyams if this happens....

Watch this space

Is the built in ground sheet grass friendly only some camp sites are hot on this !

I like the look of the Vango but am concerned about the SIG on a hardstanding pitch. I can imagine the stones piercing the groundsheet. BMVS please keep us updated on how you get on with them, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk HD

Retiredron said:
Is the built in ground sheet grass friendly only some camp sites are hot on this !

Ive never heard of this? I presume you mean breathable? In which case I doubt it, but then is any groundsheet?

Barryjm said:
I like the look of the Vango but am concerned about the SIG on a hardstanding pitch. I can imagine the stones piercing the groundsheet. BMVS please keep us updated on how you get on with them, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk HD

Hi Barry

You can actually buy a groundsheet protector to go underneath it to add protection.

We've had a Khyam fro a couple of years without any problems and it's been up in some really bad conditions.
I was taken with the ease of the Vangos but the sewn in groundsheet put me off as like most awnings when the doors are open and it's raining water drips into the awning space. I could see this being a problem with a sewn in groundsheet gradually getting wetter and wetter.
We also use the awning as a porch for taking off dirty walking gear so for us the sewn in groundsheet doesn't work.

On the vango the sewn in ground sheet is separate to the porch bit - That has no groundsheet in it.

Sorry I don't mean the bit between the van and the awning, just used it as a generic term.
We looked for ages for a an awning like a caravan awning that have vertical sides rather sloping ones but gave up and got the Khyam.
I guess the Vango groundsheet helps to keep it in shape when it's inflated. They certainly look easier even than the Khyam to erect, keep you fit as well with the pumping. :cool:

I am fairly happy with my Khyam Motordome Sleeper- but not when it rains. The 'living area' can get wet due to the gaps at the front and rear where the awning attaches to the van. I'm thinking this is an issue with most driveaways, but it's still a pain when camping in rain. I take a small tarpaulin to cover the gaps but its not ideal!

Back