Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

best kitchen for Beach

W

Waldo

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My Beach is to be delivered in March. I need and afermaket kitchen and have been looking at several options. This new one really seems the nicest to me:
http://www.maxxcamp.de/de/module/multim ... /index.php
I've also been looking at aljoy.de who make the California Comfort kitchen.
Hesitating if it's worth to drive from Belgium to Stuttgart CMT this week where all vendors are present.

Looks perfect to me and if the wallet can take the pressure then 2 words " BUY IT " :thumb

These look great , if I had a beach I would save up for one of these units,

I want them. would make for the perfect van. the luxury of storage and the practicality of the beach why would you go for the cali? Just have to start saving or sell the kids.

and when you update to a new beach just take them out :p

These are brilliant but they wouldn't be for me. I like to keep my van simple. These are genius though and when you consider the bigger bed of the Beach, it looks tempting.

In the UK having one of those over a full Cali is even more tempting as UK Cali's get a transporter dash so these fitted you would not be losing out on much.

That said, the Beach is based on a German Caravelle (UK Shuttle) which is a very different van to the Cali's which are based on German Multivans (UK Caravelles).

Have to say though, these are fabulous. Is there anywhere in the UK that does anything close to this? Those German ones look good quality.

The problem I found when I had a full Cali whilst my Beach was repaired was weight. The 140 Cali I had was far more refined than my Beach and a great cruiser but around town, compared to the Beach it felt heavy and far less nimble and that became a bit tiresome. I guess the advantage here would be that you could have a camper when needed and still have the Beach for day to day use.

I wonder how these affect the two seater Beach and three seater Beach/Multivan. It's clear that if you have a UK Caravelle these would fit as well which is interesting.

The other down side for me is that my cool box would have to move back to the boot :( We like it in the middle of the van lol.

Thanks for posting these :)

James

I've seen them in Stuttgart Sunday, as well as the Aljoy model (and other ones which I was not interested in). Look much nicer indeed but also twice the price of most other models. My major problem is my Beach arrives in March, I need a kitchen to register it as a camper but they don't deliver them before April :-( (Aljoy even May, I suspect them to say April just to counter Aljoy)
Have ordered a 6 persons Beach: 2+1+3, kitchen instead of 7th place on row 2, no space for a 2nd module unfortunately

Hi, been lurking for ages but quiet! No Cali yet but T25 westfalia owner with a hankering after something newer. Beach is attractive, particularly with 2 seater bench. Interested in the storage box vs kitchen pod situation. Seems to me like the storage box could be reduced in length to allow a pod to sit where Cali kitchen is, as the space between end of storage box and front seat looks too small for anything useful. I would want to keep part of the storage box in place, as want full bed width for most part, but happy to lose some at end to enable slim pod to fit in alongside reduced length storage box, if that makes sense.

For me pod would be fridge + storage, as not bothered about cooking as we always do that outside. Place to boil a lecy kettle would be a must though.

Have to say that nearly new prices down to 27k, getting very tempting...

Cheers, j

Jcali said:
Hi, been lurking for ages but quiet! No Cali yet but T25 westfalia owner with a hankering after something newer. Beach is attractive, particularly with 2 seater bench. Interested in the storage box vs kitchen pod situation. Seems to me like the storage box could be reduced in length to allow a pod to sit where Cali kitchen is, as the space between end of storage box and front seat looks too small for anything useful. I would want to keep part of the storage box in place, as want full bed width for most part, but happy to lose some at end to enable slim pod to fit in alongside reduced length storage box, if that makes sense.

For me pod would be fridge + storage, as not bothered about cooking as we always do that outside. Place to boil a lecy kettle would be a must though.

Cheers, j

I am not sure a cool box would be as big as the fridge in one of those pods but you could consider a cool box, either the VW one or an aftermarket one.

There are lots of posts on the differences between three seater rear bench and two seater rear bench, maybe worth a look as you consider your options.

It's not a case of one being better than the other but they are quite different in how they work on a day to day basis .

James

Jcali said:

Cheers, j

Hi J

I've been looking at options for adding some basic cooking and cooling facilities to my newly acquired (6 days ago! :D ) Beach. In the 2 seater when in bed mode the front edge of the seat/bed is in line with the end of the storage box so your idea of shortening the box probably wouldn't work unless the pod was very small.
I’m probably going to go down the route of a simplified version of the units linked at the start of this post. Just replacing the storage box and leaving the existing bed board at the back. Waeco look like they do some good cool boxes around 18 to 25L size and maybe a spirit stove that wouldn't need a gas connection and could also be taken outside if needed. I do have the VW cool box already as it was part of the used spec but its not really suitable for the 2 seater bench version. (if you go for the 3 seater and want the cool box I will be looking to sell it ).
The reason I went for the Beach is because the nearly new prices were getting down to very similar to what It would cost to buy a nearly new basic van and add / change all the bits I wanted (SCA roof, sliding seat, single swivel seats, windows etc etc). Couldn't get the spec I wanted for 27k though… With the Beach all the difficult and expensive bits of the conversion are done and you end up with much more of a factory finish.

Custard said:
I am not sure a cool box would be as big as the fridge in one of those pods but you could consider a cool box, either the VW one or an aftermarket one.

There are lots of posts on the differences between three seater rear bench and two seater rear bench, maybe worth a look as you consider your options.

It's not a case of one being better than the other but they are quite different in how they work on a day to day basis .

James

Yep, thanks James. Whilst I like the idea of the full width bench in the 3 seater (my Westfalia bed is just too small!), I think the 2 seater gives more flexibility, with the availability of the full width with the storage box + cushion in place. As you say, no "right" option here, just what best fits your needs. BTW appreciate all your beach posts here, a true advocate!

Cheers, j

owen_h said:
Hi J

I've been looking at options for adding some basic cooking and cooling facilities to my newly acquired (6 days ago! :D ) Beach. In the 2 seater when in bed mode the front edge of the seat/bed is in line with the end of the storage box so your idea of shortening the box probably wouldn't work unless the pod was very small.
I’m probably going to go down the route of a simplified version of the units linked at the start of this post. Just replacing the storage box and leaving the existing bed board at the back. Waeco look like they do some good cool boxes around 18 to 25L size and maybe a spirit stove that wouldn't need a gas connection and could also be taken outside if needed. I do have the VW cool box already as it was part of the used spec but its not really suitable for the 2 seater bench version. (if you go for the 3 seater and want the cool box I will be looking to sell it ).
The reason I went for the Beach is because the nearly new prices were getting down to very similar to what It would cost to buy a nearly new basic van and add / change all the bits I wanted (SCA roof, sliding seat, single swivel seats, windows etc etc). Couldn't get the spec I wanted for 27k though… With the Beach all the difficult and expensive bits of the conversion are done and you end up with much more of a factory finish.

I was thinking that if you could shorten the storage box so that it ends in line with the bench seat base when in upright/sitting position, you would have enough room for a pod along the side, under the window. If that pod was the depth of the storage box, it wouldn't get in the way of the bench when opening for sleep position and you still get a full bed width for most of the bed. Something for me to think more about I guess. After 4 years with the Westfalia (template for the Cali layout), I've had time to think about what we would really need/use. As a design, the full Westfalia/Cali layout is a masterpiece, but we just don't have a need for cooking/sink facilities inside. But we really would want some kind of pod there for general storage/cooler etc.

Absolutely agree about the prices. Factory roof/bed for similar money to customised van - no brainer really. My wife keeps saying "have you bought one yet?", but current position would mean it'd be a very expensive garden ornament for a lot of the time due to our other vehicles, not to mention the 80's green thing hiding in the garage ;) but I guess you're only here once.

Cheers, j

Not quite a kitchen but have just picked up an icey tek cool box in yellow ( custard should aprove). Down side is its not a kitchen. Up side it has 70 litre capacity, sits nicely in the boot and will hold enough cold ones that I won't be able to cook anyway.

We have the reimo which we fit in place of a seat when needed in our caravelle.
No fridge, but a sink and small cooker facility. The cupboard takes a fair bit and there's a drawer.

null_zps200ab9d3.jpg
null_zps5953d7d8.jpg
null_zps39d0552d.jpg

Attachments

• null_zps200ab9d3.jpg
    null_zps200ab9d3.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 8
  • null_zps5953d7d8.jpg
    null_zps5953d7d8.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 7
  • null_zps39d0552d.jpg
    null_zps39d0552d.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 6
I can see the up side of a kitchen ,as I have a full fat Cali ,but I suppose if brought a beach I'd probably only be looking at cooling the beers and milk ,as storage seems quite good ...maybe just a little storage pod behind the passager seat or those window pockets or both

Jcali said:
Custard said:

James

Yep, thanks James. Whilst I like the idea of the full width bench in the 3 seater (my Westfalia bed is just too small!), I think the 2 seater gives more flexibility, with the availability of the full width with the storage box + cushion in place. As you say, no "right" option here, just what best fits your needs. BTW appreciate all your beach posts here, a true advocate!

Cheers, j

That's very kind of you to say that. We can only pass on our experiences. The 2 seater Beach is the original set up and more akin to camping/going away flexibility

James

deedee said:
We have the reimo which we fit in place of a seat when needed in our caravelle.
No fridge, but a sink and small cooker facility. The cupboard takes a fair bit and there's a drawer.

Hi deedee,

Just been looking at kitchen options for the beach. A few questions on the Reimo:

1) How heavy is it? Is it reasonably easy to lift in & out of van?
2) Does it use the floor rail system to bolt to the floor?
3) Did you buy it in the UK? If so where from?
4) Could you use it to cook outside e.g. for a longer trip, place on a board or similar outside vehicle?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris.

The weight of the unit is a little less than the chair you remove, so fitting is straight forward.
It fits into the channels on our Caravelle. Adapting it to wider or narrower channels would be straight forward as it's just drilling holes through wood.
Concept multi car are the uk importers.
We have it set up on the drivers side, that way the cooker unit is part way in and out of the sliding door when in use. If you want to cook out doors there are wing nuts which come off to quickly remove the little gas stove. I do this when frying etc so as not to get fat splashes all over the head lining etc.

It's a good little unit. No doubt you could get a similar one made for less, but the colours of this match the caravelle spot on. A California may be different.

I'll put some more pics up if you like?

deedee said:
Hi Chris.

The weight of the unit is a little less than the chair you remove, so fitting is straight forward.
It fits into the channels on our Caravelle. Adapting it to wider or narrower channels would be straight forward as it's just drilling holes through wood.
Concept multi car are the uk importers.
We have it set up on the drivers side, that way the cooker unit is part way in and out of the sliding door when in use. If you want to cook out doors there are wing nuts which come off to quickly remove the little gas stove. I do this when frying etc so as not to get fat splashes all over the head lining etc.

It's a good little unit. No doubt you could get a similar one made for less, but the colours of this match the caravelle spot on. A California may be different.

I'll put some more pics up if you like?

Just to close the loop on this, Concept Multi-Car have these in stock at £1000 inc VAT.

looks great ,but i would tend to lean towards a fridge or a burner of some sort over a sink ....i've had my cali over a year now and never used the sink .... The pod is a good idea and gives more flexibility ..it looks like my old bay window westfalia pod that was always in the way of the door .... :?

choplee said:
looks great ,but i would tend to lean towards a fridge of some sort over a sink ....i've had my cali over a year now and never used the sink .... The pod is a good idea and gives more flexibility ..it looks like my old bay window westfalia pod that was always in the way of the door .... :?

Yes, I kind of agree. I would like the ability to boil a kettle or heat some soup in a pan, but the ability to wash up in the van, is not critical.

I'm also considering these, especially as I already have the fridge, that they use in the fridge unit.

http://www.maxxcamp.de/en/module/multim ... /index.php

But I would rather they replaced the sink above the fridge, with a drawer, and a flat surface to cook on.

The VanEssa unit looks good too

http://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de/Volk ... del8dof0oi

The maxcamp stuff looks very good. In California colours too.

don't really like the vanessa though. Wouldn't want the fresh and waste water containers just put on the floor. On the Reimo they are secured properly. 1500 Euro too :shocked

Back