Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Kitchen and Storage Pods

Plastic bit is 7E8-885-749. Sits on the rail.

Metal Part 7H5-885-297

Andy
Here's the part numbers from earlier in the thread. They look much better fixing-wise than the eBay ones and the plastic part is shaped to fit the rail.
The VW ones lock positively in place and I would use them for safety knowing that they would have been well tested.

Andy

Last edited:
Just got my POD certified tonight for 'Self-Containment' in NZ. 3 days wild camping for two people. It's still the MDF prototype, so I'll wait until it's made of the proper board before posting pics.

Basically 24 litre fresh water (2 x 12 ltr), 26 litre grey water with external vent, Porta Potti Cube 345 and sealed rubbish bin (15 ltr).

Most daunting part was drilling the hole in the van for the 'grey water' tank vent. It ended up not being that much of a problem as the vent fitted nicely below the plastic below the LHS tail light. Drilled a hole through the metal and fitted a rubber grommet that was a tight fit on the pipe - see pic. I put anti-rust primer on the bare metal followed by Sunny Yellow touch up before putting the grommet inP2160633.JPG

If they sold a twin slider beach, I'd buy one tomorrow. Nothing like sleeping in 36 degree humid heat & having both doors open!)

The Twin Slider Cali Beach is available, but in South Africa. 4 Motion too! Google VW California Beach BiTDI 4 Motion South Africa for specs. Now waiting to see what VW NZ can get in the way of the same in to New Zealand with the T6. The only T5 Beach in NZ so far appears to be Goldie, on this Forum.

Mine one is a 2015 Beach 4motion. In Spain you can get a Beach even 180ph DSG 4motion, I don't know why are not available in UK

Hi guys I was just wondering if this is still a hot topic for anyone?? I am currently in the process of making a slide out pod to fit under the multiflex board of our caravelle conversion. It is based on a triple seat style layout and multiflex board but I could easily adapt it for the 2 seater style multiflex board. Our pod will include......

2 x gas rings
A sink
Waste water tank
Storage cupboard for pots, pans, cutlery and crockery
Hot and cold running water
I am also building it to be fully removable so it can be used as a stand alone price of furniture in the drive away awning. With this in mind I am incorporating a built in stand for it that doubles as a low level table. The whole thing will be made from genuine vohringer as well.

Ours does rely on the fact that our van has a large under floor water tank and separate water heating system. However if anyone is interested I could easily produce them with integral cold water systems.
let me know if your interested in this? I will post up pics of mine as it all comes together.

It doesent seem as hot a topic as it was a year or so back. I'm always interested in seeing what people are building for their Beaches though.

Finished my beach pod and want to pop up some pics any idea how I do this?

still getting the hang of this forum (hhaven't worked out text and pics in the same post lol)

Anyway that is the slide out rear beach pod I have made for my van. It has x2 gas burners, hot and cold running water, 20l integrated grey water storage tank with 100mm cleaning access and a draw valve below the pod plus masses of storage space. It also has an integrated stand that doubles as a coffee table, this allows the pod to be removed from the van and used as a 740mm tall stand alone kitchen unit in a drive away awning. Best of all it is light weight and splits down into x3 prices so one person can load it. OH and it fits into the floor rails using the proper vw brackets.

Below I have pictured the toilet base I made to match it and the seat base facias with dockers volt meters etc

Tidy work, very tidy indeed. :thumb

If you'd done this a couple of years ago I'd have been having a word about my multivan,

Well technically my vw is a multivan (caravelle exec in the uk) which has the same multiflex board and triple seat as a beach. I have just added a genuine electric cali pop top and trim plus loads of other bits because I wanted a high spec beach with twin sliding doors.

If anyone is interested I can make these to order for beaches with either double or triple rear seats. I can even do them so they replace the multiflex board completely.

Excellent work and layout. :thumb
With a 2 seater bench Beach you would have to make it lower as the multiplex board isn't as high as the 3 seater / multilvan version.
Wondering if you could incorporate some sort of clip on or fold out table? One thing I found after making my pod was that I was short of work surface. Possibly space to store a table between the multiflex & top of your pod?

Excellent work and layout. :thumb With a 2 seater bench Beach you would have to make it lower as the multiplex board isn't as high as the 3 seater / multilvan version. Wondering if you could incorporate some sort of clip on or fold out table? One thing I found after making my pod was that I was short of work surface. Possibly space to store a table between the multiflex & top of your pod?

new pod system (kitchen, storage, wc, water) from germany:

www.buddybox.de

buddybox-wiese.jpg

I like the idea of the "Draft" buddy but l would not want to muddle it up with the "potty" buddy !!!! Searlesly
They look good something different.

yes, trying washing teeth in the wc pod could be annoying :D

jonnyashworth said;
Well technically my vw is a multivan (caravelle exec in the uk) which has the same multiflex board and triple seat as a beach. I have just added a genuine electric cali pop top and trim plus loads of other bits because I wanted a high spec beach with twin sliding doors.

A Beach with twin sliding doors seems to have been available in South Africa as their sole California model. DSG or Manual. 4motion too. Some quite good specs too. Here's the link; http://www.vwcommercial.co.za/en/mo....html/california-beach~2F2-0-bitdi-132kw.html. Not sure if it could have EHU tho. And....not available here!

Had a quick read and couldn't see where it says it's a twin slider and couldn't find it ?? I could just be being a bit thick though.
Here is a picture of the pod being utilised in our drive away awning (we are a week into a month long camping trip in the van on the continent) so far the pod has worked flawlessly in the van and in the awning.
There are definately a few upgrades I can make on mark 2 when we get back to the UK. :thumb

20150610_085101.jpg

Regarding Twin sliding doors on the SA T5 Cali Beach - If you look under 'Standard Features' , 'Dual Sliding Doors' is listed in the 'Exterior Features' section, just below 'Foglight-rear'. Your set up looks pretty well sorted tho. Very tidy. Well done.

Well, after posting just now about where to find the 'Dual sliding doors' , I went back online to check if things had changed in SA,and they have. My print out from Feb 4 this year lists the Dual Doors,as explained in above post, but they no longer appear on the current spec list. And not on the 'Options' list either. And checking prices,they've gone up too.

Is that a baby wrapped in tin foil ready to go on the bbq next to the pod?

Back