Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best VW audio option for 2007 California

S

sdes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm just trying to figure out what options I have for audio upgrade.

Our 2007 Cali has what I assume was the standard (Blaupunkt RCD 200, I think) radio CD, the FM tuner part of which seems very good, it can seemingly stay 'locked in' to a radio channel over a 200 mile journey - an absolute pleasure after the unit in my Alfa which could rarely manage 10 miles before needing to be retuned or switched to CD as it was incapable of tuning to anything.

So, I think I'm keen to stick with a 'real' Blaupunkt / VW unit, but obviously the dash cutout has changed for the fascia in the 2010 facelift, so I assume newer models will require significant cutting of either the dash or the radio - not keen - and new control modules to save it flattening the battery as I understand it.

I'm keen to get:
  • 1. bluetooth working for hands free calls.
    2. 'aux in' or 3.5mm jack connection so it can accept audio from iPod etc wired.
    3. Ideally would be better quality audio too, the RCD 200 is not exactly HiFi.

Really not worried about navigation - I have tomtom on iPhone and it works better than high end pre-installed systems in most vehicles, so don't need big touchscreen or any of that, especially if I can put its audio through the head unit.

So, can anyone tell me what the 'top end' audio for pre facelift models? Surely there must have been a double DIN unit that did a little more than play a CD and shuffle the tracks or tune into a radio station?

Thanks for any steers.

Stephen

Have you looked at a Parrot type kit, therefore keeping your current head unit but giving you bluetooth for your phone and music streaming?

I hadn't to be honest - I thought it would probably answer No. 1 of my three requirements, but probably not 2 and definitely not 3, but I don't know much about them, so perhaps I'm wrong on 2.

Thanks for the thought anyhow - I will have a look at what's available and see if any of them would do the trick.

Stephen

In your position I would replace the head unit with a Pioneer double DIN unit that has Bluetooth and aux in. Something like Pioneer FH-X700BT . Has higher power and therefore better quality amps and everything else you need. I have similar in a T5 camper that I am about to sell and it has been fine. If you do something to improve speakers to component types (not sure what you have) you will also hear a big difference. My Cali is 2013 but the OEM kit is at best average and the speakers way below average - seems bizarre on a £40K vehicle.

Hi 777111, Thanks for that, and quite agree re the existing drivers / speakers, they are well short of what you might expect on a £40k plus vehicle - particularly one where you can actually spend time listening to music without engine and road noise and so the quality is that much more worthwhile.

It doesn't help that the speakers are directed into your legs either. Ho hum, such clever design for the 'camping' bits - I guess that was the priority. I think its also well nigh impossible to replace some of the drivers - the ones in the rear drop down for instance - without causing permanent damage - in their wisdom VW have made sure you will always have low end speakers / audio quality.

I will check out the unit you suggest - it looks a little Star Wars compared to the VW supplied unit but if it works well, that's the main requirement.

Cheers

Stephen

sdes said:
Hi 777111, Thanks for that, and quite agree re the existing drivers / speakers, they are well short of what you might expect on a £40k plus vehicle - particularly one where you can actually spend time listening to music without engine and road noise and so the quality is that much more worthwhile.

It doesn't help that the speakers are directed into your legs either. Ho hum, such clever design for the 'camping' bits - I guess that was the priority. I think its also well nigh impossible to replace some of the drivers - the ones in the rear drop down for instance - without causing permanent damage - in their wisdom VW have made sure you will always have low end speakers / audio quality.

I will check out the unit you suggest - it looks a little Star Wars compared to the VW supplied unit but if it works well, that's the main requirement.

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen,

I just successfully replaced the rear speakers to huge advantage. No damage either - I am really fussy / careful! If you were anywhere near NW England I would show you how I did it in person? Failing that I have some pics. Well worth it.

The Pioneer (I have an earlier version is a doddle to use. And sounds really good - way better than OEM . And for a modest outlay.

Let me know if I can help some more.

Thank you, would be very interested. Unfortunately I'm in central London, but if you have any images / notes of what has to be done that would be very helpful - to others on this forum as well I imagine.

Cheers

Stephen

Just in case anyone out there is facing the same issue, this was our Solution

A Sony WX-GT90BT head unit.

We purchased from Halfords at half price (£129.99) currently, and a significant audio quality upgrade from the standard head unit.

Needs an antenna adapter £4.99 and a wiring harness adapter £7.99 but did not need the mounting kit and Facia adapter plate, there is already one in the box which is a perfect fit for the VW 'pre-facelift' California dash.

Audio on Bluetooth hands free is very good - Sony have obviously been making quality microphones for many years, pairing was easy, works with wireless (or wired) audio from tomtom app on iPhone etc.

It even comes with a tiny IR remote control which is nice when upstairs or sitting in the back.

Bad point - illumination is very bright even on the 'dim' setting. Needs to be switched of manually, but not really a hardship.

Anyhow, I won't go on, but if anyone has the same 'what do I fit to upgrade' issue, this is a pretty good option. Hope it helps someone.

Stephen

T4WFA said:
Have you looked at a Parrot type kit, therefore keeping your current head unit but giving you bluetooth for your phone and music streaming?

I would recommend a PARROT MKi9000. I have one in my car.

It will do hands free calls, as that is what it is built for. It can stream audio from your phone over bluetooth, and it also comes with cables for 3.5mm jack or ipod connector.

When playing audio it uses its own internal amp so may or may not be better than the stock head unit.

There is a 9100 and 9200 version which have displays, but I manage without that (as the phone has a nice display)

You can also get vehicle specific looms to simplify the install.

T

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Back