Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Big thank you to Curt

R

Rich Corrado

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Curt for taking the time to show me his black cali this morning.

I also wanted to share my observations with you guys as I thought it was very interesting and thought it might be informative if anyone was thinking of changing their wheels,leather, suspension and bhp.

Firstly, wheels. As most of you will know I have been looking into different options wheel wise and have been given lots of different and conflicting advise.
Curt has 21" RS6 alloys which look amazing in the flesh and suit the Cali perfectly. They fill the arch nicely and don't look too big in my opinion. THEY DO NOT RUB IN ANYWAY!
I have been told that 20" wheels will rub by some people but I don't know how unless the vehicle had been lowered dramatically or they had the wrong size tyre.
Curt is running Perrelli pzero 275/35/21 103y and they feel perfect. I was expecting a back crunching bumpy ride but it was far from that. The only way I can describe it is it was like driving a large sports saloon with big wheels. It felt like there was far more traction and stability like a sports car rather than a big wallowing van. Curt had the Cali full to the brim with bits and bobs in the cupboards and their was no more noice then any other Cali I had been in.

Next the suspension. Lowered 30mm and looks a million times better for it! It's hard to say what made the ride feel better wheels or suspension but I can say it stuck to the road like glue and felt like there was no body roll or wallowing. Now I appreciate that some people like big space hoppers but when I'm driving I like to feel in control and from my journey today in curts Cali there is no doubt that it felt better.

Tuning. Curt has had the Cali remapped and it goes like transporter on steroids! It has no turbo lag and pulls like a train. I can't say I've ever been in a van that feels that quick.

Leather. He had the leather done by an after market company for £1200. I can't see any reason why anyone would criticise this leather as in my opinion it looked just as good, if not better than some of my old range rover sports. £1200= no brainer as it's cheaper than the vw option and looks better, plus you can have any colour or style you like.

Anyway, thank you again for sharing your Cali with me Curt and sorry in advance if we have twin black Cali's.

Glad it helped you Rich, I think you are potentially just as bad a gadget freak as I am so its now war :D Sign up for Cali on the farm see you there if not before and I want a ride in your new black beauty when its delivered.

i ran on low profiles 19inch .had 2 bad blow outs .at rear pas side .there is so much weight on that side with water tank and large battery on that side .when the van was lowered the top of the wheel pulls in at the top putting a load on inside of the tyre .i had to cut the rear tracking adjuster .to get the wheel to toe out .i put in 55psi on rear .i now run 245 45 19 .did try 245 55 19 but did rub on inner wheel arch .hope this helps .i used H and R coil overs . ;) think the tyres are 102 y load rated .

Wow! sounds like you have been through a nightmare. And running at 55psi!!!! sounds like fun aand rubbing on the wheel arch, blimey. Good luck with that I hope you don’t get any more blowouts. I would have a word with the guys at customvanz http://bit.ly/KceTuN they have been fitting wheels to T5’s even heavy old fully loaded kinds like the Cali for years and maybe able to help.

all done now guys at van work sorted it .getting the camber and tracking set up did it .was running on 45psi and was pinching the tyre .have to remember the van is 3 ton with all the stuff in it .running ABT tuv approved wheels . :D

And even heavier with the 4Motion gear onboard glad you got it sorted. I had my camber and Tracking set up by Breeze in Southampton when they installed the 30 mm lowered springs and front spoiler 4600miles later I am very pleased Breeze are a really helpful.

Rich Corrado said:
Tuning. Curt has had the Cali remapped and it goes like transporter on steroids! It has no turbo lag and pulls like a train. I can't say I've ever been in a van that feels that quick.

This is one of the main reasons people have these vans tuned, it's not about power, it's about eliminating turbo lag, it's about reliability, it's about knowing these ECU's inside out.

On non california models the vast majority of van owners have them tuned to compensate for the loss in power once they convert them.

Code:
curtisnash said:
I love black Cali's :bananadance

That's quality bud :cool

Whenever I see the title of this thread reappear I keep thinking our word sensor has failed !

Back