Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Carrier

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

Please allow me to bring up this topic again.

What do I want to achieve?

My wife really wants to bring our 2x folding e-bikes with us on tour. I have a wee bit of doubt that we will be over the 3.5 t, but we will cross that bridge later. In a bike carrier we look need the following:
  • Max load minimum 50 kg
  • Carry 2x bikes (folding bikes)
  • Sturdy enough to be save even on dirt roads
  • Open the back door even with loaded bikes
  • High enough not to cover the rear lights
  • If possible mechanism to secure (lock) the carrier and the bikes
I did some research und I believe there are actually only 2x bike carrier systems that meet (most) above mentioned criteria's:

Fiamma
Carry Bike Frame for VW Crafter

• Meets most of the criteria's
  • 2x holes need to be drilled into the door
  • I can find installers in Ireland willing to install the carrier
  • I am not 100% sure if it will fit the Grand California
  • Expensive
I was wondering if somebody has the Fiamma Carry Bike Frame installed and can give me a wee bit of feedback about the quality and experience using the carrier.

Paulchen
Crafter II HD Bike Carrier

• Meets most of the criteria's
  • No drilling needed
  • I need to install it myself (this is a disadvantage)
  • I am not 100% sure if it will fit the Grand California
  • Cheaper than the Fiamma
Here the same, I was wondering if somebody got the Paulchen bike carrier for the Grand California and can tell me something about it.

If somebody is wondering, we don't have a towing hitch. I asked my VW dealer if it was possible to retrofit it, but he was not keen in doing it. But thinking about it, I wouldn't like this solution either because of even higher cost just to transport the bikes and will add several extra kilos.

Thank you.

Eberhard

Hi - we have the Memo Holland swing rack which mostly meets the criteria other than the bike wheels do obscure the rear lights but given it has its own full lighting tailboard its not an issue. It doesn’t need a tow bar as it has its own chassis fixed mounting arrangements.

Very sturdy and full access to both doors when open. 75Kg capacity.

Downside of the sturdiness is weight - you dont notice it in use but it will add 50Kg+ to the weight of the van.

I’ve fitted a prop stand so we can leave the rack swung open all the time when parked meaning to access into the rear is always easy and bikes stay secured onto the rack when not in use.

It may be overkill for folding bikes but thought I would flag to let you know this type of thing is available.

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1083.jpeg

Well, that looks brilliant. But as you pointed out this solution will add a lot of weight to the vehicle, even when unloaded. I had a look at the web page, but I couldn't find the price.

The Fiamma is about EUR 1,300 in Ireland plus EUR 350 or so for installation. I think that is already a lot.

What I don't like with the Fiamma is to lift the bikes so high to get it onto the carrier. But there is no way around because to keep the rear lights free.

PS
I contacted Paulchen Bike Carriers this morning and got a reply at lunch time :)thumb). It seems that Paulchen Bike Carrier meets a lot of the points I raised, but they clearly mentioned that when opening the back door the carrier as to be unloaded. I am not happy with this. In contrast the Fiamma saidt the door can be opened even when the carrier is loaded.

Regards,
Eberhard

Last edited:
The Memo Holland rack cost £1700 fitted. You can remove it easily if you want to when not in use - there are two tubular sections that bolt permanently to the chassis and the entire rack slides into those rectangular tubes. Released by a couple of wing nuts and a locking nut. I remove it when going to festivals etc where we are not using our bikes.

I had a look at the Memo Holland webpage and it seems there is an authorised dealer in ROI. I just contacted them to see what they can recommend.

Because I won't have the trailer hitch I don't know from where they would get the power for the light board.

Also I forgot to ask how it works with the rear parking sensors?

Regards,
Eberhard

Ah, yes, I forgot you also need to have the tow bar electrics fitted, that cost me another £225 . The GC is such a money pit!!. The fitters (LNB Towbars, Bristol, UK) who did mine also coded the system so when the light bar is plugged in the side and rear sensors are disabled automatically, only front sensors continue to work.

We have the Atera Strada 3- but they also make for 2 bikes. I checked and the weight max for the 2 is 60kg. The issue is that it attaches to the tow bar/hitch. It has its own lights and it slides so that you can open both back doors even with bikes on it.

We had a different challenge needing to carry 3 bikes, has my husband does Triathlons and needs to carry his tri bike, as well as his leisure bike. We really considered the swing bar mentioned above but the cost was more than we really wanted to spend. But if you don’t have the tow bar/hitch this solution would not work.

We have the Atera Strada 3- but they also make for 2 bikes. I checked and the weight max for the 2 is 60kg. The issue is that it attaches to the tow bar/hitch. It has its own lights and it slides so that you can open both back doors even with bikes on it.

We had a different challenge needing to carry 3 bikes, has my husband does Triathlons and needs to carry his tri bike, as well as his leisure bike. We really considered the swing bar mentioned above but the cost was more than we really wanted to spend. But if you don’t have the tow bar/hitch this solution would not work.
I think I might get one of these. I have a towbar and thule ebike carrier, but due to its high handle I had to mount towbar ball to lower position, which is 1.5” lower. Meaning carrier more likely to touch ground on uneven or steep driveways.
also although it tilts, I cant open doors fully.
so I am going to get a strada dl3, im sure I read somewhre the 2 bike version doesnt slide back as far, might be wrong.
also the 3 bike version better for big moutnsin bikes , if you have 2 bikes you can leave a bigger gap between them, to stop them touching

I think I might get one of these. I have a towbar and thule ebike carrier, but due to its high handle I had to mount towbar ball to lower position, which is 1.5” lower. Meaning carrier more likely to touch ground on uneven or steep driveways.
also although it tilts, I cant open doors fully.
so I am going to get a strada dl3, im sure I read somewhre the 2 bike version doesnt slide back as far, might be wrong.
also the 3 bike version better for big moutnsin bikes , if you have 2 bikes you can leave a bigger gap between them, to stop them touching
Andrew, you may want to look into the Atera Strada Trail- specifically made for trail and e-bikes to accommodate the wider stance.

I would check on the slide back on the 2- I think it was on this forum that someone recommended the Strada- and I believe they had the 2 and commented that their back doors both opened fully- but I can't locate the thread now.

Andrew, you may want to look into the Atera Strada Trail- specifically made for trail and e-bikes to accommodate the wider stance.

I would check on the slide back on the 2- I think it was on this forum that someone recommended the Strada- and I believe they had the 2 and commented that their back doors both opened fully- but I can't locate the thread now.
i looked at the trail, but doesn’t look like it slides back same way as dl3, it tilts, and unlikely we could open rear doors, just like the thule velospave XT ebike carrier we already use, so we would be spending over £400 to get something with no benefit other what we have already

In a Facegroup group a Polish guy markets a swing for any hitch rack for some 200 euros

Back