Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma bike carrier

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

For some time now I was looking for a bike carrier for our GC600. My wife was really missing the mobility at the places we visited. Also she loves cycling.

We have 2x e-folding bikes which we are quite happy with, but the weight of each bike is 24 kg each (without battery). We would have loved to have the e-bikes with us, so I looked for a bike carrier capable for a weight of 48 kg, well, 50 kg.

After a lot of research I chose a bike carrier from Fiamma (which composes of Carry-Bike Frame and Mounting frame). Because holes had to be drilled into the back door (which I didn't mind) I decided to get an authorised Fiamma dealer for the installation.

This happened last Wednesday by a company near Limerick. Surprisingly the installation took an entire day. But the installation looks good and the bike carrier seems to be very sturdy.

Today I tested the bike carrier using our e-bikes. This is the outcome:
  • The Fiamma bike carrier can hold our 2x e-bikes (of course without the battery)
  • Putting up the 2x e-bikes is difficult (weight), maybe I am getting old :)
  • One holder for each bike is not enough, I would prefer 2x
  • To fix the handle bar is very high, a small ladder or so is needed
We discussed this and changed our approach to bring bikes with on our tour. This is what we gonna do:
  • We will get 2x folding bikes (not electric, much lighter) which is good for 1.) putting them up 2.) for the overall weight of the camper
  • As soon as we got the new bikes we will do a test setup and if needed to get a 2nd holder for each bike to ensure they are really fixed well
  • We will get a 2x step ladder (as light as possible) to reach up to fix the holder at the handle bar
With this sturdy bike carrier and well attached bikes to the carrier I will feel happier traveling with the bikes. Motorways are no problem, but cobblestones in older villages could put a lot of strain onto the carrier and door. This year our tour through Europe will go to Romania and Turkey and I hope we will find some small roads which might be not that smooth.

I will attach some pictures of the bike carrier and our loaded e-bikes and I will update this posts as soon as we get our travel folding bikes.

Regards,
Eberhard

1706975608033.png

1706975629931.png

1706975664407.png

1706975694137.png

1706975716195.png

1706975754150.png

Back