Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack - Practical advice on usage...

BigPritch

BigPritch

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,
we have enjoyed a number of trips away in our new (to us, 2007 T5 SE), which came with, a 4 bike rack installed.

Now, thus far (hence post), we have not used it, and in reality, think we wont use it much, but times we will, so....

Is there any 'real' benefit, to removing it full time, and re-attaching only on those times when we know we are going to take bikes (just 2) ?

Is this something people do, or is it just too big a faff, getting it on/off ?
Are there any 'real' benefits in travelling without one on, or is there no material difference ?

I'm guessing the fit/detach issue is probably the main drawback, but as still new to Cali life.....

Thanks

We will probably only use our rack 3 or 4 times a year, but I have no space to store it in, so it ‘stores’ on the van.
It does mean we can just mount the bikes and go if we get a sudden rush of blood, but at our age that isn’t often. ;)

Assuming the older style rack that I expect you have has the same mounting system as the new one, no it’s a doddle to take on and off. Minutes. So I don’t have mine on unless we’re on a cycling trip (minority of our holidays) as I like the lighter bootlid with it off. Only thing you have to watch is the paint protection stickers can get ruffled up each time it gets tightened into place so you might have to replace on a regular basis

Tried to find, but is there a YouTube vid on it ?
Thanks

For me , I think the Bike Rack enhances the appearance. It's supposed to reduce MPG slightly...but I do use it several times a year with bikes or a Fiamma Storage Bag.

We will probably only use our rack 3 or 4 times a year, but I have no space to store it in, so it ‘stores’ on the van.
It does mean we can just mount the bikes and go if we get a sudden rush of blood, but at our age that isn’t often. ;)
Agree. I have taken mine off to clean van - it’s blinking massive off the van. Suffice to say it went on again the next day. I prefer the look with it on tbh.

Hi all,
we have enjoyed a number of trips away in our new (to us, 2007 T5 SE), which came with, a 4 bike rack installed.

Now, thus far (hence post), we have not used it, and in reality, think we wont use it much, but times we will, so....

Is there any 'real' benefit, to removing it full time, and re-attaching only on those times when we know we are going to take bikes (just 2) ?

Are there any 'real' benefits in travelling without one on, or is there no material difference ?

I'm guessing the fit/detach issue is probably the main drawback, but as still new to Cali life.....

Thanks
I have one and I used to take it off all the time between trips, easy to get off, but it's a bit of a pain to store once off so I do leave it on now. The down side to leaving on is it knocks about 3 mpg off even with out bikes.

Hi all,

Thanks
I leave mine on all the time, looks good and provides somewhere to dry my towels, when parked obviously.

Leave it on…. Many uses including drying wet kit but as a bike rack best ever..