Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack protective stickers

simplybikes

simplybikes

Hi folks....a question for those with the VW bike rack. Last year for the first time I attached the VW bike rack to the back of the van and used the VW protective stickers. I put the stickers onto the van, adhesive side onto the paint. When I removed them in November I noticed that the paint had become very slightly discoloured in so far as it was marginally darker under the area where the adhesive was. I feel this marginal discolouring is caused by the adhesive on the metalic paint. This year I'm tempted to put the gloss side of the protective stickers onto the paint and the adhesive side onto the underside of the bike rack. Anybody any views on this?

It may rub against the paint and scratch it. Check the bike rack where it touches the van as it may show signs of wear.

If absolutely no movement what so ever then why not.

My stickers are almost black and been on the van 3 years
I mentioned this to my dealer and was told this will wipe off with the right solvent with no detriment to the paintwork
I will have to put a new set on and see!

Alan

The rack was supplied with the van
When the bikes are not used for a length of time the rack comes off (easier to clean the van)
Always presumed sticky side behind as I have not ever felt any tackiness

Alan

I have cut up and old bike inner tube and use it single ply to put between the rack feet and top hooks.
Cheap and cheerful solution.The rubber is thin but offers a good level of protection and does not affect paint work.
If they get lost when removing the rack they are easy to replace.

The above solution is the best in my mind, the stickers themselves discoloured twice and changed these for rubber as above! No likelihood of the adhesive affecting the paint then.
Incidentally, my Sand Beige never discoloured, so I wonder if certain paint colours are affected more than others?

Although the may discolour over time, this will easily polish out when removal in needed

Great shout Billy, I'll try that as waxing didn't work. I know it's a small area and not seen as it's hidden but we're a very anal bunch so I'll know it's there!

I have cut up and old bike inner tube and use it single ply to put between the rack feet and top hooks.
Cheap and cheerful solution.The rubber is thin but offers a good level of protection and does not affect paint work.
If they get lost when removing the rack they are easy to replace.
Removed the naff bike stickers today with the aid of my electric hot air gun (gentle heat), followed by application of some adhesive solvent remover,and polished the natural grey paint work after.
Continued with dfps's and calicas's inertube idea.....brilliant,all done and dusted :thumb Oh I also glued the rubber onto the appropriate areas of the bike rack so the rack can come on and off without fear of loosing the rubber strips

Alan

That's a great addition to the inner tube solution.Will try that myself.

Back