Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit tow bar

• Thread starter Andrew Southall
  • Start date
A

Andrew Southall

VIP Member
I am looking at a California this weekend which looks great in all respects except that it has no tow bar. I know to retrofit a tow bar with 13 pin electrics is expensive since you have to remove the kitchen to fit it. I will only tow a small boat and a small trailer (neither of which have 13 pin electrics), so I will see no gain in having it.

Does anyone know if it is it possible to connect 7 pin electrics without taking out the kitchen?

Thanks for this

Andrew

Probably worth giving Mark a call at Volksvans

http://www.volksvans.co.uk/

Great auto electrician amongst other things and a California owner to boot.
Rgds
Mark

Thanks Mark - fantastically quick response from you! - I will ring him today.

Andrew

Where are you based? Our local towbar fitter has done this and very reasonably priced too.

We are in Bristol. A short journey would be preferable of course but to save a packet we could make the journey a holiday...

Andrew

The kitchen doesn't need to come out. I fitted my own for just over £300 all in and including OEM electrics.

I can get them fitted for £420+VAT

Thanks all for the useful thoughts and leads. Thanks to Mark I contacted the bloke at Volksvans. He seemed quite content that you don't need to remove the kitchen to do the remedial electrics. He even said that the OEC (?) is better protected if you connect the electrics via the leisure battery in any case because you can then put a fuse in the circuit. If your trailer board shorts (I have had problems before with these) you don't damage the vans main brain...

Costs seem to be a little less than half that of the main dealer.

Andrew

Andrew Southall said:
Thanks all for the useful thoughts and leads. Thanks to Mark I contacted the bloke at Volksvans. He seemed quite content that you don't need to remove the kitchen to do the remedial electrics. He even said that the OEC (?) is better protected if you connect the electrics via the leisure battery in any case because you can then put a fuse in the circuit. If your trailer board shorts (I have had problems before with these) you don't damage the vans main brain...

Costs seem to be a little less than half that of the main dealer.

Andrew

I would avoid that as it's clearly not OEM electrics. With OEM the Trailer Control Unit mounts under the passenger seat and you also need to wire into the Body Control Module under the dash as well as the Headlight Switch so no way you can save anything by using the leisure battery.

I've heard horror stories of non OEM not integrating with the brake controls, and ruining discs in 100s of miles.

Have heard of brakes being ruined in hundreds of miles by non-genuine tow bar and electrics being fitted and used at our other branch. Have also seen vans where people have had the electrics scotch-locked in which is no good either which can lead to problems with one side of the van having no operating lights for example...

If it were me I would go oem

cheers

And Im sure Alex will back me up that non OEM will effect warranty. The price I mentioned is all OEM kit :thumb

Oh... there is of course more to this than first meets the eye. I will give a lot of thought to the job before making any decisions. The last thing I want is to damage the new toy.

Thanks again for all the input

Use oe parts and do it properly. Get it wrong and there a stack of issues you might have. It also needs coding correctly so it works with the LCA, parking sensors, brakes and radio warning. Lots of stuff on the web about rear brakes. Also know a guy that toasted a Touran with a cheaper install, South of France and a caravan, all very bad and the VW added to the misery by refusing the two grand warranty claim. I had mine done from the supplying dealer for 450 quid. They absorbed the labour cost other wise it was a grand!

Andrew Southall said:
Oh... there is of course more to this than first meets the eye. I will give a lot of thought to the job before making any decisions. The last thing I want is to damage the new toy.

Thanks again for all the input

Very true Andrew... Decide what you want, then look for the best deal on a like for like basis.

Most operators can get access to OEM parts through TPS, so push for a deal.

Rgds
Mark

Back