Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike stuck on VW Bike Rack

nknight

nknight

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
One of ourr bikes is stuck on the VW California bike Rack. The screw clamp on the arm turns without undoing so the bike is well and truly clamped. We are on the Santander ferry just leaving Portsmouth so if anyone has any ideas for how we might sort the problem we'd be very grateful.

Hi check its ulocked if its a locking one, also if it has been unscrewed alot to get the bike clamped, the nut on the end of arm where it connects to the rack may have come out of its slot and will just spin and not undo.

Its
Hi check its ulocked if its a locking one, also if it has been unscrewed alot to get the bike clamped, the nut on the end of arm where it connects to the rack may have come out of its slot and will just spin and not undo.
Thanks. It's not the locking arm. Also nut at end wasnt spinnnig. Is the nut used to detach the arm. Ifwe could get the bike off that would be great.

Hi nknight you will have to try and pull knock off the plastic knob and use a spanner on the nut as the nut is probably spinning inside the plastic knob or a mole grip to pinch the plastic against the nut to undo it,I had the same issue a while back a tin of copper slip and a new plastic knob sorted it

Someone had this problem recently damned if I can find the thread. It's there somewhere.

Found it

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/index.php?posts/162929/
Hi nknight you will have to try and pull knock off the plastic knob and use a spanner on the nut as the nut is probably spinning inside the plastic knob or a mole grip to pinch the plastic against the nut to undo it,I had the same issue a while back a tin of copper slip and a new plastic knob sorted it

Thats really helpful. I'd never have known there was a nut inside the knob. I will have a go when we get to the campsite in Salamanca tonight (we are still on the high seas). Thanks for your time. Nigel

Mike
Cheers Mike. That's a weird one. It's only one of the non key ones thats

Cheers Mike. That's a weird one. It's only one of the non key ones thats

All sorted thanks to mucksmuff in 3 mins. Pinched barrell of knob with fingers and all fine. And to think I spent an hour plus trying to sort it before catching ferry. Thanks again. Nigel

Back