Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

After market tow bar/bike rack

C

Campervan Ann

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I do not have a tow bar/tow bar prep on my 22 California Ocean. I have the VW bike rack already fitted but find it difficult to lift two electric bikes onto.
My questions are:
1) Can a satisfactory tow bar (preferably detachable) be fitted to my vehicle to enable a tow bar mounted bike rack to be fitted?
2) If so what bike rack is best suited to the Cali?
3) How easy is the bike rack fitted/detached?
Short of doing some serious weight training in the gym I need a solution.

I do not have a tow bar/tow bar prep on my 22 California Ocean. I have the VW bike rack already fitted but find it difficult to lift two electric bikes onto.
My questions are:
1) Can a satisfactory tow bar (preferably detachable) be fitted to my vehicle to enable a tow bar mounted bike rack to be fitted?
PF Jones is well known . They offer a National fitting service and mobile fitting at your home or place of work.
Westfalia removable Towbar with full wiring and coding to the vehicle..

As far as bike racks are concerned I have an Altera Strada rack that allows tailgate to open but there are newer ones that are setup for E bikes.

My questions are:
Can you remove the bike batteries to make them lighter and easier to lift ?

PF Jones is well known . They offer a National fitting service and mobile fitting at your home or place of work.
Westfalia removable Towbar with full wiring and coding to the vehicle..

As far as bike racks are concerned I have an Altera Strada rack that allows tailgate to open but there are newer ones that are setup for E bikes.
Thank you for this useful advice. I've looked at PF Jones 'instant quote' to get an idea of cost etc. but (not being technically savvy) am confused regarding 7 or 13 pin electrics option. Do you know which I would need - for bike rack only?
We went to the NEC MH&Caravan show last week and someone on the Thule stand told us about a bike rack that swings out away from the van to allow rear access. I'm not sure whether this was Thule or another brand though. If anyone has any knowledge I would be interested to find out more.

Can you remove the bike batteries to make them lighter and easier to lift ?
Yes we can remove batteries but bikes are still circa 21kg. can be lifted but a struggle due to the height of the VW bike rack.