Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule EasyBase & Bike Rack

N

nickandemma

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello, has anyone fitted a Thule EasyBase with a VW Bike Rack - do they fit together? We are thinking of buying the EasyBase with the soft EasyBag but I'm worried that the metal loop bar at the back will clash with the bike rack. Have tried to phone Thule (engaged) so thought I'd put it out into Cali World....? :thanks

I've moved your topic to a more relevant location - Spotted in the South East might not have helped :laugh2

Re: Thule EasyBase & Bike Rack

Hi Nick

I think it doesnt, but not 100% sure in the case of the softbag

I think some of this may be done in this thread; http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/v...e&sid=fb3126b9f9fc120c9e3b5a256b875ce4#p23041

I did find one which looked like it fits, "Flexbag" on a German Brandrup retailer site (tho doesnt mention if this is Brandrup). It may be the one mentioned at the end of the above thread. I was thinking of something like this whilst our wee lad is too small for a bike and we need stroller/kiddie paraphenalia with us. Obviously not 100% secure, but depends on what you want to put in there? Havent asked if they will deliver to UK, shouldnt be a problem. Havent seen it at UK retailers, couldnt see it at Campervantasic http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/shop.php?cat=33 but it may be worth giving them a bell and seeing if they can get one in?

EDIT dunno why the forum is putting spaces in campervantasic it's one word, no spaces (delete the %20 in the URL linky) wierd!

72.jpg
https://shop.christl.de/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=30

The translation reads; "Stable and easy mounting with 2 rotting polyester straps and self-locking aluminum clamp locks. Easy loading through a concealed zipper, for example, for picnic table, tent, grill, surfing suits, the shopping at the resort, etc. Size: approx 120x35x65 cm (LxWxH). Weight: 2.3 kg. Material: double coated polyester fabric, washable. Made in Germany"

Not sure about the "rotting straps" :p

Thanks Andy for that info - looks interesting. But we were looking to use it as well as the bike rack for the bikes. ie. it would have the soft bag under the bike rack. Think I'm going to have to get out there in the cold and measure.

Fiamma have one which is quite well priced -

here

The one above looks like the Brandrup item which although quite a bit more expensive has VW in mind -

here

They also have a better one which looks like you can still carry two bikes -

1029.jpg

nickandemma said:
Thanks Andy for that info - looks interesting. But we were looking to use it as well as the bike rack for the bikes. ie. it would have the soft bag under the bike rack. Think I'm going to have to get out there in the cold and measure.

Hi,

Have you bought theThule Easybase and foldable bag to go under the VW bike carrier? I am thinking of doing the same and wonder what your experience has been.

Alas the lockable box is 70cm tall and my measuring suggests that it would interfere with the bike rack so is a non starter but I think the foldaway bag is OK.

Regards

Jonathan

I was thinking about if this would be possible. In the France meet photos there is a Silver Cali with a tow ball rack with an ali box on it. I was wondering what it was as it doesn't seem to have the metal loop.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4737&hilit=france

So we took a gamble and went ahead and bought the Thule EasyBase. It didn't look as though it would work as the bar at the back is taller than the lower part of the bike rack, however, when it's packed with a weight it is pulled forward of the bike rack and works brilliantly. We just drove the length of France in a day with four bikes on the rack and the massive Easy Base soft bag full of camping gear, oh and four surf boards on the roof. Obviously you can't open the boot with it installed but if you're after storage it's a brilliant solution. Easier than towing a trailer. If I could work out how to upload photos I can show you what it looked like fully loaded.

Updates - just worked out how to upload photo :clap

1.jpg

Hi

How you getting on with the easy back?

Could you take the forward metal loop off completely or get a smaller one fabricated?

Hi, does the Easy Bag fit on the genuine VW bike rack please?

Yes it does, in the summer I was able to get 1 bike on the rack and an easy bag on the T6 rack.

On the T6 rack you can simply slide out the wheel clamps.

On the T5 rack you can just sit the bag on top.

Hello, has anyone fitted a Thule EasyBase with a VW Bike Rack - do they fit together? We are thinking of buying the EasyBase with the soft EasyBag but I'm worried that the metal loop bar at the back will clash with the bike rack. Have tried to phone Thule (engaged) so thought I'd put it out into Cali World....? :thanks
You may have seen this but it shows how it is used. I've got one and use ratchet straps over the top of the bag when loaded, belt & braces. You could remove the bar completely or get a lower height one made up from alloy tube such as a TV aerial mast. Need a pipe bender to get it done properly.
Remember to keep to the 45kgs weight limit.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/cargo-carrier/towbar-cargo-carriers/thule-easybase-_-949000

A pic of my set up.
351ec172f96cb90c956185db373f0dcb.jpg

Back