Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bip and Go

gotat5cali

gotat5cali

PhillipR
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
has anyone used a Bip and Go transponder on a Cali to drive the French autoroutes? If so, where do you position it on your windscreen and, does it work?

Our daughter has just used one in their Citroen Piccasso and seems to have had all sorts of problems. They positioned it as instructed on their windscreen and it didn't work. So they moved it around, with variable success. On one occasion she had to hold it outside the side window and wave it around it made the barrier raise! We were going to use it in a few weeks when we have a round trip to Barcelona and Munich, and we're looking forward to sailing through the Autotoute Gares de Peage, but now I'm not so sure.

Ours has worked fine in all sorts of positions, stuck to the window near the mirror but mainly just sitting on the dashboard. There is often a heart stopping delay and this seems to vary quite a bit. We've also had the battery fail and it not work at all at an unmanned barrier. But generally works fine and is a real breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant device. Mine is stuck to the left of the rear view and works every time.

Ours has worked fine in all sorts of positions, stuck to the window near the mirror but mainly just sitting on the dashboard. There is often a heart stopping delay and this seems to vary quite a bit. We've also had the battery fail and it not work at all at an unmanned barrier. But generally works fine and is a real breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you replace the battery yourself?

John

John
They are sealed units. When the battery fails you have to send the whole thing back for replacement. I had this over half term.
As for fitting, ditto the others above. Full instructions are provided by Sanef

Same here no problems. Very occasionally had to open the window and wave it around.
The battery in our first one lasted about 6 years. I made the mistake of just ordering a new one without sending the old one back so you get a bill for the standing charge of about thirty euros.

Used one last year with no problems.
Ours is also to the right of the rain sensor on the black masking.

Alan

John

Yes...you just sent it back and they send out a replacement. En route it's not a major problem as the manned booths can scan the bar code on the device.

We had of course chosen an unmanned lane when ours failed and ended up having to reverse out of the lane (though you can press the voice button and someone will eventually come and rescue you).

Really like this thing. Ours is just to the left of the mirror, leaving room to fit the curtain.

It's curiously satisfying to go straight through without stopping, but be warned can end up feeling smug when driving past the queues. Works fine in the 30km per hour lane (which some seem to go through much faster . . . there could be a game to be payed here . . . maybe not)

Thanks for all the tips. Daughter now thinks problems were caused by roof box masking the signal. Looking forward to using ours now.

I have a Sanef one, mounted in the shaded area of the windscreen, to the right of the rear view mirror mount. It works fine but I did have to drive almost up to the barrier before it activated. The biggest shock was the cost of the tolls!

has anyone used a Bip and Go transponder on a Cali to drive the French autoroutes? If so, where do you position it on your windscreen and, does it work?

Our daughter has just used one in their Citroen Piccasso and seems to have had all sorts of problems. They positioned it as instructed on their windscreen and it didn't work. So they moved it around, with variable success. On one occasion she had to hold it outside the side window and wave it around it made the barrier raise! We were going to use it in a few weeks when we have a round trip to Barcelona and Munich, and we're looking forward to sailing through the Autotoute Gares de Peage, but now I'm not so sure.

I thought you could only use the French Bip and Go in France only and if you travelled to other countries you had to buy their own devices.

You are correct that each country has their own Bip and Go device. The French one is specific to their Autoroutes. We have a French SANEF device but last year travelled to Italy via Spain and Sardinia and had to use manual toll booths in Spain and Italy
We did meet a couple who had hired country specific Bip and Go devices for the duration of their trip. If I find the hire website I will post it here.

Have a look at Tolltickets.com. There is information and the option to hire a tag for each country.

We used a Sanef one in France, it worked really well. We did notice that we were incorrectly charged on 3 occassions, I emailed Sanef and they refunded the money - took a while - but was relatively easy.

Beats me why all the EU countries can't get one unit that could be used anywhere. As far as I know there are only certain frequencies that can be used under EU regs so you would think that it would be relatively straightforward.

Beats me why all the EU countries can't get one unit that could be used anywhere. As far as I know there are only certain frequencies that can be used under EU regs so you would think that it would be relatively straightforward.

That's the EU for you. Look at cucumbers, apples, etc, etc.

John

Back