Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bird Poo and VW paintwork warranty

Matt Williams

Matt Williams

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, Washed my 2017 California Ocean this afternoon and was horrified to find paint lifting and undercoat exposed on a few places on the pop top under bird poo! Only noticeable because I was on the step ladder to reach top of roof. Does anyone know if this is covered by the VW bodywork warranty? Seems to me a fairly fundamental requirement of the paint system is to protect the bodywork against natural attack. Be grateful for any experience owners have had in this area.

D26771F9-4048-47CD-89BC-E4A7E0FFFB78.jpeg

I’m sure the VW paint warranty only lasts for 3 years. But I imagine even it was longer it would cover bird poo.

3 years and not cleaning it off quickly will be deemed as “insufficient care”.

1658766766444.png

I thought it was well known that bird poo should be washed off car paintwork asap!

It won't be covered, just cover it up with a surf sticker.

…The nitrogen in the bird dropping eats away at the paint and strips away the protective layers. If left untreated, it'll quickly corrode all the way to the base layer. Most modern vehicles are susceptible to this due to water-based paints (as opposed to the harmful lead-based paints from years ago)….

Thanks all for the replies. I have a 6 year bodywork warranty but looks like that isn’t going to help!

In denying a claim how would VW prove that the damage was caused by bird poo I wonder?
As @Ch1pbutty says no harm in trying a claim.

In denying a claim how would VW prove that the damage was caused by bird poo I wonder?
As @Ch1pbutty says no harm in trying a claim.
Easy enough, I would have thought, to prove chemical damage, unfortunately.

The defect must not be due to external influ-
ences such as accident damage, climatic, ther-
mal, chemical or industrial pollution, insuffi
cient care or maintenance.

Easy enough, I would have thought, to prove chemical damage, unfortunately.

The defect must not be due to external influ-
ences such as accident damage, climatic, ther-
mal, chemical or industrial pollution, insuffi
cient care or maintenance.
Yes, I guess they’ve covered themselves quite well there.

It’s bad enough when it’s caused by something like this but after 5 years the paint lifted off both bumpers at the same time VW refused to help. Now the paints blistering on the front roof panel. I’ve got no chance with that one. With VW you just have to accept they won’t help.

Back