Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help !! Advice needed re paintwork warranty?

LongBay Beach

LongBay Beach

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just had an awful experience when getting the first service done on our T6 Beach and wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

Bought it exactly one year ago from VW Vans Liverpool as a 5 month old vehicle that had only been owned by VW (think it was ex demo). Took it in for first service yesterday (to JCT600 Sheffield) and one of the things I pointed out was a small 20p size area of peeling paintwork on the edge of the drivers side rear bumper.

Later that day when I went back I was told i'd need to take it to their bodyshop to assess, but that they thought it had previously been resprayed. So, I went off to their bodyshop who checked it and confirmed that the rear bumper had some paint runs underneath it, and so couldn't be original paint from the factory and thus had been resprayed at some point - meaning that it wouldn't be covered under warranty!!!

I pointed out that (a) nobody mentioned when I bought it that it had been resprayed, and (b) I bought it as a VW approved used vehicle, so surely it should be covered. All I got was a fob off and told to go back to VW Liverpool.

So, I phoned VW Liverpool who checked their systems and said that nothing was showing up re having had any paint work done on it. They are going to discuss it at managerial level today to see if they can do anything for me, but i'm really concerned that they too will just fob me off.

Surely, as I bought it in good faith as a VW approved used it should be covered? Or am I living in Lala Land and should accept that the warranty isn't worth jack.

Does anyone have any advice on what (if anything) I can do?

And, just to complicate matters further, it's on VW Finance so what would they make of it in two years time if I hand it back with paint dropping off it? They'd blame me for not maintaining it !!

They're just being stupid and not seeing the proper issue here.

Sometimes manufacturers do correction work at the factory before it comes to the dealer and they don't know, but if it was a demo vehicle I also wonder if someone has damaged it when they borrowed it and just sprayed it themselves?

Regardless, you weren't told and I would be pushing very hard back at Liverpool VW. Speak to the service manager and if you have no joy, escalate to VW Customer Services. It's a cheap and easy fix for them to do - even if they decided to do it as good will. With all that failing, try a smart repair company as they should only be charging £100-£200 for repairing it.

Back