Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bit the bullett

• Thread starter wiltstocalifornia
  • Start date
W

wiltstocalifornia

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, after whittling down our family to 5 of us (older ones have left for uni), we have decided bought our first Cali (Beach). This was driven partly by the guy on the campsite on IoW who had a converted vw van but no kitchen inside just the 5 seats, pop top etc. So after tent camping for the last 10 years and towing trailers we sold the X5 and bought our cherry red 2018 Beach from the VW dealer.

Just need to upgrade the 16" wheels that it came with and sell trailers etc!!

Hi all, after whittling down our family to 5 of us (older ones have left for uni), we have decided bought our first Cali (Beach). This was driven partly by the guy on the campsite on IoW who had a converted vw van but no kitchen inside just the 5 seats, pop top etc. So after tent camping for the last 10 years and towing trailers we sold the X5 and bought our cherry red 2018 Beach from the VW dealer.

Just need to upgrade the 16" wheels that it came with and sell trailers etc!!
Welcome neighbour and enjoy the Cali

Some pics for us nosey lot?

Welcome.. We bought a set of 17” cascavel wheels on eBay Brand new for £500 but that was a few years ago. To tell the truth I prefer the feel of the 16” wheels as they seem to have a softer feel than the 17” but the bigger ones look nicer. It’s swings and roundabouts really. I’ve got the 2 sets and swop them around now and again when I change the brake fluid.

Thanks Ozzy. Good info, I'd really like black alloys (no visible brake dust) but your right if I were to have 18" I presume the ride would be to hard... ? Also go with the VW bike carrier or use the tow bar hitch and use our thule bike carriers... Decision, decision.

Thanks Ozzy. Good info, I'd really like black alloys (no visible brake dust) but your right if I were to have 18" I presume the ride would be to hard... ? Also go with the VW bike carrier or use the tow bar hitch and use our thule bike carriers... Decision, decision.
Going from 16” to 18” you would really feel the difference and the tyres are more expensive but has to be a matter of choice. We have the VW bike rack and have adapted the way we use the vehicle when the bikes are on the back. We never (Or very rarely) lift the back door when the bikes are on the rack just to stop the risk of a hernia and damaging anything. We have had it for 7 years and it works for us.
But if you have a tow hitch that’s another road you can go down.
If you don’t have a tow hitch it can be quite expensive to have one fitted if it’s only going to be used for a bike rack.

Lots of 17" wheels on Facebook Marketplace
Davenport are a good easy to clean style. 235/5517 tyres are harder to find than 215's. Option to buy as new tyres or worn ones so that you can fit your own preference.

Thanks for the advice guys. we have the towbar already on the van, but have decided to purchase the bike rack from the dealer. He gave me a price of £529. Part of the reason of going down the van route is I wanted my garage back, and free it up of trailer, camping kit and thule towball bike racks. Will wait and drive the cali for a month before deciding whether to change the size of the wheels.

Now to change all our camping trips to make sure they are ok with the Cali. I'd imagine the IoW sailing will be cheaper now with no trailer on the car!

I did notice that with the wider 235 17” tyres I was getting between 1and 2 mpg less than with the 16” 215 tyres

Sorry, Wife has commandeer her all week
ddc5d74b-f759-466e-a851-52fb10f382b8-jpeg.88913

DDC5D74B-F759-466E-A851-52FB10F382B8.jpeg

01F668FD-BB5B-4CEC-A6B0-BE23A4C2411D.jpeg

Back