Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blocked drain hole wet carpet

The probable source of leek is definitely left front pillar since I discovered water there, see pic. At least one of the leaks. I would believe some of the soak was from an older leak from the sliding window above the sink.
Thank you everyone for all the leads.

Now, next step is to remove the trim but where do I start? If I bend it open slightly I can see the drain hose. Where would the leak be, upper or lower connection?

image.jpg

Is it difficult to remove the trim with the windscreen curtain blinder?
Mine doesn’t have a windscreen blind (2012) so just removed the speaker cover (it unclips), and the pillar trim just levers off fairly easily. Can’t remember if i also needed to undo the grab handle near the drivers head to allow access behind the roof lining.

I manage to remove the speaker cover quite easy but after that it feels I would have to remove more of the “black” dashboard. The pillar trim seem to be tucked under everything, but maybe some gentle force and strong fingers will do it.

This might help you.

This might help you.
Perfect!…and it’s worth investing in a set of the below to save you fingers and reduces swearing:

48A30B36-13B0-4F4F-B803-622246DF1DD1.png

This might help you.
Very nice!! I don’t have the handles it now I know where to start. Tomorrow it has will keep you updated.
sorry for all the questions when most is found with google.
thank you again.

Very nice!! I don’t have the handles it now I know where to start. Tomorrow it has will keep you updated.
sorry for all the questions when most is found with google.
thank you again.
Here are some pics.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-5.jpg

(Sorry for my previous post. I don’t understand myself. Must have been late or autocorrect in the wrong language)
Thank You! They look the same as mine. With the blinders. And same old yellowish patina.

Ok. Day no 5 of leak control.
I have been able to dry out the carpet, take care of some minor rust around the chairs and dismount the left a-pillar trim. The brown drainage hose looks just fine under there. But feeling with my hand on the left front wheel arch under the dash I can feel moist. But finding out how to access the outlet of the drainage hose into the wheel arch is out of my capacity. Any ideas? With the help of a led lamp I can barely see the rubber damask and stick my hand behind the dashboard and feel around the hose and damask. It feels intact, so how does the water ingress? Is it because it’s plugged or a leak impossible to see without tearing everting apart? What have I missed?

Ok. Day no 5 of leak control.
I have been able to dry out the carpet, take care of some minor rust around the chairs and dismount the left a-pillar trim. The brown drainage hose looks just fine under there. But feeling with my hand on the left front wheel arch under the dash I can feel moist. But finding out how to access the outlet of the drainage hose into the wheel arch is out of my capacity. Any ideas? With the help of a led lamp I can barely see the rubber damask and stick my hand behind the dashboard and feel around the hose and damask. It feels intact, so how does the water ingress? Is it because it’s plugged or a leak impossible to see without tearing everting apart? What have I missed?
Have ruled out that the leak is not the drain pipe but water getting in around the large rubber grommet that it is fed from? Water can run down the A pillar and drip off of the brown pipe…. See my post #24 above.
I spent ages looking for my leak!

Have ruled out that the leak is not the drain pipe but water getting in around the large rubber grommet that it is fed from? Water can run down the A pillar and drip off of the brown pipe…. See my post #24 above.
I spent ages looking for my leak!
Ok, so the water runs down from the roof drain at the very beginning of the hose?

Ok, so the water runs down from the roof drain at the very beginning of the hose?
On mine it seemed to come in around the edge of the grommet and run along the inner roof body skin and drip from the top corner of the windscreen onto the brown drain pipe then run down the outside of the pipe and onto the carpet. Removing the end panel from the dash helps see the bottom of the A pillar.

Great @ArunAlec.
I have put everything back and reconnected power sources. All seem to work! Even the handbreak-on light.
I have also elevated the roof up and poured about 2 dl of water through the small drain holes. The good thing is that the water disappeares throughout the hole, and I can hear how it pours through the hose. Water is shown coming out from behind the wheel arches (see pics). The bad news however, I haven’t found an obvious leak.
My theory is, some water manage to ingress under the grommet and drain hole but the main cause of soaked carpets is probably an old issue with a leaking sliding window. And that water has been there for years. The window has been fixed.

I leave this for now but is watching what happens. Being a total kook in Cali problem solving at first I have now learnt a lot, and with more time coming winter I might dig deep behind the dashboard.
Thanks everyone for all support! This forum and you VIP members are fantastic. Tomorrow I’m going to test out new solar panels with a new controller. Next coming weeks Norwegian west coast for a surfing trip.
3AEF4037-C68B-4D33-8EE1-36F14D52654A.jpeg250A81C7-F370-444C-9D61-840F0D673938.jpeg

Back