Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Drain Right Angle Boot

J

Jon B

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I’ve been having water problems with my 14 plate Cali, narrowed it down to the front drivers side roof drain.
The drains aren’t blocked but instead are leaking at the bottom right angle, all the water from the drain is running down from the drivers footwell and pooling in between the seats.
I’ve located the right angle and found a split where a wire is runs through the middle.
The design makes no since to me, has anyone come across this before?
See pic

01B2FB4D-5F30-4896-AEE5-348E7805613C.jpeg

I’ve been having water problems with my 14 plate Cali, narrowed it down to the front drivers side roof drain.
The drains aren’t blocked but instead are leaking at the bottom right angle, all the water from the drain is running down from the drivers footwell and pooling in between the seats.
I’ve located the right angle and found a split where a wire is runs through the middle.
The design makes no since to me, has anyone come across this before?
See pic

View attachment 87870
My guess would be that someone has treated the angled drain as a grommet to run a cable from under the dash to the engine bay. Have you traced the cable?

this is the part from roof drain hole into the cabin above roof lining, again + 90' makes no sense. Had it replaced as had broken up into small pieces causing damage to roof lining

image001 copy.png

Last edited:
My guess would be that someone has treated the angled drain as a grommet to run a cable from under the dash to the engine bay. Have you traced the cable?
Thanks @ArunAlec, I’ve made a temporary repair with a lice of hose pipe. I’m trying to find this part I like to buy a replacement but so far no luck.
I’ve followed the cable and it runs into the dash under the steering wheel while the other end goes somewhere near the air filter.
Very odd.

Thanks @ArunAlec, I’ve made a temporary repair with a lice of hose pipe. I’m trying to find this part I like to buy a replacement but so far no luck.
I’ve followed the cable and it runs into the dash under the steering wheel while the other end goes somewhere near the air filter.
Very odd.
post 18

I have now have the new part so will take a look at where the cable is going.
Any idea why this would have been done? Surly not done by VW?

I have now have the new part so will take a look at where the cable is going.
Any idea why this would have been done? Surly not done by VW?

My guess is that it may be retrofit towbar wiring, using easiest route to get from inside to outside of van without drilling a hole.

My guess is that it may be retrofit towbar wiring, using easiest route to get from inside to outside of van without drilling a hole.
Sounds possible…… does he have a towbar though? From under the bonnet the outlet does look like a grommet complete with a slit to push a cable through!

I think the VW part no is 6X0877236A

From my understanding, those pieces don't generally have a wire punched through them! Their job seems to be to hold up the water from the roof drain in the vertical tube until such pressure is created that the valve releases and the whole pipe empties of water - presumably to stop it gunking up with a continual slow flow of water.

But that one seems to have had a 3rd party punch a wire through it, which would be an effective way to get a wire from the cab to the engine bay - but really bad for the water draining system which would then drain into your feet!

I don't think you have an option but to work out what that wire does and then reroute it (or cut it if no longer needed)