Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blue smoke from under Cali

Topman

Topman

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Just wondered if anyone had experienced this:

Pulled over in the Cali today turned engine off as I walked around the vehicle , a large. Blue smoke cloud was appearing from under the vehicle from the passenger side , did it for about 20 seconds , I'd not driven through any puddles and has nt repeated since

Any ideas ??

Nope it's a Cali Beach so no heater

Oil leaking somewhere on a heated part and therefore being burned imidiatly?
Breaks...
Clutch.
If was a one timer no problem .

Is it brand new,first journey ? If so that could be exhaust paint burning off.

Nope it's done 11k on the clock So well worn in

Is it the engine coolant heater that helps the engine warm up quickly when the outside temperature is 5c or less. Is there a Webasto sticker on side of the drivers door?

Yes there is a Webasto sticker

Is it the engine coolant heater that helps the engine warm up quickly when the outside temperature is 5c or less. Is there a Webasto sticker on side of the drivers door?

Almost certainly this one... VW's well known for it, even some of the smaller passenger cars. Tends to be a bluish white and can be quite extreme.

Exhaust is quite near the front passenger wheel arch. (At least on older models... not sure about GP)

Brothers Touran gives off great clouds for a while. My Cali does it a little when cold, as does the T4 Multivan, although much less.

Rgds
Mark

Thankyou Everyone for your advice and help

Chris
Do we get to know where it came from , was it the coolwaterheater?

ooh, i had exactly the same thing happen to me this morning on the school run!! it gave me a bit of a panic...it didn't happen again on my way home though. hopefully it is as mentioned above, but I might mention to the garage when i go in for a slow puncture repair on Friday anyway...

If the white smoke is coming from your rear exhaust in cold weather, then the diesel is not being combusted properly. You are probably trying to start the engine without waiting for the glow plugs to warm the cylinders.

In the winter this takes a lot longer than you expect.

On my 2010 Facelift SE the on board computer takes care of this automatically, can't speak for the Beach but suspect it may the same as the 5.1 SE.

Alan

Hi Jane

After searching the net / (other forums) and getting advice from members on here , I wouldn't worry , but if you could feed back after your trip to the garage it would be appreciated

Chris

As said above white smoke is incorrectly burnt diesel. All the auxiliary diesel heaters, both the coolant heater & the parking heater, give a puff of white smoke as they start up & smell of half burnt diesel.
This is perfectly normal.

Back