Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bluetooth phone, no audio

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have RNS 510 with the VW bluetooth set up.
All has been working fine until recently when the phone audio has disappeared.
Telephone Volume is turned right up in settings so I'm a bit baffled by this.
Any ideas anyone please?

My phone has multiple volumes - music, phone calls, ringtones.

Do you get no audio when playing music, making phone calls or both?

Mine is an android BTW.

T

Try resetting the Bluetooth module under the driver’s seat, you do this by removing the block connector which goes into the side of the module. If that does not work get somebody with VCDS to do a fault check.

Ian

Thanks for the replies
Sound is ok with music, just the phone thats a problem
Ours must have been a retrofit as the bt module is under the glove box, not the seat and the gps aerial is stuck under the dash tray. At least I have the radio code noted so thats a plus.

Ian. Resetting the module, I have already unplugged and plugged back in with ignition off just to check the connection. Should this be done with the ignition on? Im a bit wary of doing this in case the canbus throws a wobbler which it did when I turned it on with diff lock switch disconnected.

Just for clarity I meant playing music from the phone.

My phone has a "Phone Call" volume as well as a "Media" volume.

T

Initiate a call with the bluetooth and then adjust the volume with the RNS510 or steering wheel controls :thumb

Turning the ignition off is not going to reset anything as the telephone unit will have a perm live. Unplugging it is unlikely to reset anything either.

Still no luck so I'll ask Hazzydayz to check it when they fit the steering wheel buttons.
Thanks for the suggestions.

If you want to pull the unit out you'll find there is a large connector known as the quad lock.

On that plug there should be a green plug. At some time in the last 2 years they changed to a slightly modified and usually black plug. It is possible to remove the coloured outer and use the inner part of the plug if you didn't have the correct outer so if this has been done there is a chance it has fallen out - the outer houses the retaining mechanism.

182db93a-a278-1562.jpg

One other thing to check, have you confirmed all the speakers are working in your van? I cannot 100% recall which way round it is but if I remember correctly the bluetooth will only use one speaker for phone function and if it is coded as the UK it should be the right hand side.

I've had the unit out a few times Stu. All the plugs are secure. If HazzyDayz can't sort it I'll take it back to the dealer.
Thanks for the help.

All sorted.
Had the steering wheel buttons fitted at Hazzy Dayz today (so much better) and they did a scan with VagCom which highlighted a fault. Martin there suggested a bad connection so on getting home I took the RNS and the BT module out, took all the plugs out, reconnected and now all working. :clap
Good lads there at Hazzy Dayz

Glad to hear it (pun intended). I'm also considering mfsw upgrade and really interested in whether i can just get the buttons done.

Ian

briwy said:
All sorted.
Had the steering wheel buttons fitted at Hazzy Dayz today (so much better) and they did a scan with VagCom which highlighted a fault. Martin there suggested a bad connection so on getting home I took the RNS and the BT module out, took all the plugs out, reconnected and now all working. :clap
Good lads there at Hazzy Dayz

Glad you have it sorted.

My money is on the plug I described above, that carries the audio connections.

If yours is connected by one of these so called Plug & Play waiting looms where you end up with two quad lock connectors these can be troublesome as the plug quality is not always VW quality.

Stu, yes I think you are right, the green plug. I reckon I must not have pushed it back into the RNS properly last time I had it out to wire it into the leisure battery. BTW HD say that the 20min period is fixed so it still means turning on again when it goes off. :thanks

Ian. Yes well worth doing. So much more convenient. All working fine and took them around an hour and half to do. I just had the buttons fitted to the existing wheel £295 +VAT.
Got the old bits back and left the original left hand stalk in, HD just disconnected it but it could all be reverted if we wanted to, can't see why we would but it's possible.
If yours is a recent Cali then I guess they will be able to it OK. I sent them a picture of the wheel to check before going ahead.

Brian

Back