Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BMW Rims on California

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Since I sold our BMW 520D almost two years ago I have tried selling our BMW winter wheels. Not a serious answer.
I have found out that these rims will fit on our California. Obviously the tires are wrong so I will change to our existing tires on the steel rims. Any issues? I will most likely spray paint them matte black with plastidip.
IMG_5455-X3.jpg

What is the load rating on those rims?

They won’t have the required load rating. I’m in the same boat, have some left over RFT in the correct size on rims, but neither the wheel or the tyre are rated high enough to use with the van.

So they might fit and be work fine, but you could run into legality issues should anything go wrong.

Are they from an X5 ?

Tyre load ratings on an X5 go from 105 upwards which would lead me
to think that any car with a tyre rating higher than a Cali should
be okay, weight wise.

No BMW car, estate or otherwise, are suitable for VW T range due to insufficient load rating.
4x4 X5 wheels may be but ---

There could be both Insurance and legal implications as they are not designed for a commercial vehicle or a VW.

Legally you get into Construction and Use regulations which in the event of an accident (not necessarily your fault) the Police may home in on these as could the DVSA.

There are vans running around with these on but I wouldn't.

Since I sold our BMW 520D almost two years ago I have tried selling our BMW winter wheels. Not a serious answer.
I have found out that these rims will fit on our California. Obviously the tires are wrong so I will change to our existing tires on the steel rims. Any issues? I will most likely spray paint them matte black with plastidip.
IMG_5455-X3.jpg
Interesting, I will have a set of winter x5 wheels. Do you know the PCD and offset of the Cali as I may have a winter wheel solution already :)

X5 may have staggered rims, wider on rear. Offset varies with rim width, from ET37 to 48.. 18" x 8.5" ET46 looks ok. Centre bore is 74.1mm needing spigot rings to match 65.1mm of VW.

Insurance would need advising.

bandenmaten.jpg
255/45 R18 will need 8Jx18 ET50 to be road legal. At least on a T5.1.
But as the base of the van is the same from 2003 up to now, there will be nothing changed, apart maybe from different tyre sizes.

X5 may have staggered rims, wider on rear. Offset varies with rim width, from ET37 to 48.. 18" x 8.5" ET46 looks ok. Centre bore is 74.1mm needing spigot rings to match 65.1mm of VW.

Insurance would need advising.

I have 18” x 8.5” ET46 square for the winters. 255/55R18 109H so slightly too tall, but fine for load. I’ll consider it and see what the insurance co says.

ET value is a safety feature.
When hitting one wheel on something on the road (brick, bump, pothole, ...) with the right ET value, the wheel will be pushed up in line with the schock absorber. Positive or negative ET will cause the wheel to pull on the steering wheel, causing dangerous situations.
1603562550441.png
1603562631749.png

I don't like fiddling around with safety features on cars. Especially wheels and brakes.
Those are the only things that will try to keep you on the road.

I have 18” x 8.5” ET46 square for the winters. 255/55R18 109H so slightly too tall, but fine for load. I’ll consider it and see what the insurance co says.
I've seen that size on a converted van. Fills the arches on standard height. More of raised Swamper size tyre.

View attachment 68281
255/45 R18 will need 8Jx18 ET50 to be road legal. At least on a T5.1.
But as the base of the van is the same from 2003 up to now, there will be nothing changed, apart maybe from different tyre sizes.
In the UK there aren't as strict legal regulations as is found in other European Countries as to wheel and tyre changes from production spec..

Tyres must be suitable for the vehicle that they are fitted to as a basic start point. Racing tyres wouldn't be, for example, legal on the Public Highway.

Load rating must be sufficient to carry the Grosse vehicle weight. 101 + 1650kgs per axle is legal but has no safety margin. 103 being the VW minimum figure on factory supplied tyres.
My local VW dealer was suppling after sales 18" wheels with 235/50/18 101 tyres fitted.

Tyres/wheels must not rub on any body or suspension part nor must they protrude outside the bodywork.

Comparing a BMW 3 Series standard car to the M3 version shows how the bodywork is extended to cover the wider wheels/tyres.
The same would have to be done to a Cali with wide low offset wheels fitted. Ignoring any suspension geometry issues which would arise for now.