Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Storage

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm interested in the correct way of storing the extra set of wheels, rims & tyres, when you put your Winter set on. I purchased 4 VW steel rims and Goodyear 4 season tyres which I have put onto the Cali after a bit of a scare on some slush in N Wales.
I removed the alloys with tyres and put them safely in the basement. I hadn't realised how large they were off the van. We finally cleared a space for them in an old coal hole, dry but humid with a stable temperature. Should they be stored upright or on their sides stacked up?
The advice on the web is conflicting; https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/how-to-properly-store-tyres This says upright if tyres only, but stacked on their sides if on rims.
What do other members do?

Mine stay on the rims , got two sets
Clean and dry them
Lower the pressure to the half
Store them on the sides in top of each other
In a dry and dark attic

Many thanks HC, it was the pressure reduction that I couldn't find any info about. My son, who is very informed about this type of thing, advised the tyre reduction as well. I've got them stacked on their sides at present.
I'll reduce the pressure a bit as soon as I get back from Snowdonia. Many thanks Simon

Also stack on rims although I can't imagine hanging them as on your link

A friend who owns a tyre centre told me to lower the pressure if wheels are stored .
Think you can leave them standing , but in the tyreshops they use special racks with round support ( am i saying it correct?)
If you leave them standing on the floor you might get flat spots they say but i would not worry to much , you could roll them arround every week:D
Got one of those racks from Lidl to put them in , just on and the tyers of the wife's renault are in thatone

http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Verktoy-og-verkstedutstyr/Hjul-og-Dekk/?page=2

I couldn't find what I was looking for on Halfords. If you check this link to Biltema and look at the dekkstativ and dekkhenger they store vertically or horizontally. Might give you some ideas to help save space...

Got one of these but from Lidl
http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Verktoy-og-verkstedutstyr/Hjul-og-Dekk/Dekkstativ-2000019270/
Put some wheels under it so the stand rolls arround
Need to by me a second one

As for creating flat spots , it is the same when you store any verhicle ( like campers or oldtimers) away for long times , they sell special round wheelsupports to ride on.
Or place the verhicles on studs so the wheels are not carrying the verhicle load.
All good but its better to use the verhicle and the tyres!

Mine stay on the rims , got two sets
Clean and dry them
Lower the pressure to the half
Store them on the sides in top of each other
In a dry and dark attic
I am also curious as to why you need to lower the pressure? After all, if they were on the vehicle instead of in storage over the winter, they would be at full working pressure and holding up three tonnes of Cali!

I am also curious as to why you need to lower the pressure? After all, if they were on the vehicle instead of in storage over the winter, they would be at full working pressure and holding up three tonnes of Cali!

Not a clue ,
guess to give them a break from all that pressure...
Don't think you "need to" just adviseble

Do no harm i think ...and less weight to carrry up the attic:headbang