Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Booked in for some work...

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
just booked my 18 month old california in for some work.

Deep breath... here goes:
1. Airbag light is on.
2. The button on the camper control panel has stopped working, so you can't raise the roof etc. I'm glad I found this before I went awy with it.
3. The dreaded roof corrosion issue.
4. The steering clonk issue
5. Last, but not least, the reading light has snapped off

I don't think I forgot anything!

As I understand it, most of these are known issues!

I've booked it into the Chelmsford Van centre - hopefully they'll be able to sort all the problems out. I do worry about it going wrong after the warranty has expired...

That's not good. I hope you get it sorted. I had nothing but bad experiences with Chelmsford when I lived in Essex and I was trying to buy a Beach.

Hope it gets sorted.

James

James said:
I had nothing but bad experiences with Chelmsford when I lived in Essex and I was trying to buy a Beach.

Hopefully the service department will be better than sales!

Dave_T said:
James said:
I had nothing but bad experiences with Chelmsford when I lived in Essex and I was trying to buy a Beach.

Hopefully the service department will be better than sales!

No reason why not :).

When I lived in Southend I always made my way down to SMG in Cowfold. It's not that far and Alex is really helpful. Still a bit of a trek but if you get no joy might be worth considering.

James

When I lived in Southend I always made my way down to SMG in Cowfold. It's not that far and Alex is really helpful. Still a bit of a trek but if you get no joy might be worth considering
It sound like we all have to go to Cowfold!
But this really shouldn't be the case! :headbang

Come on VW Dealers start taking notice of the poor service we are receiving and investigate exactly whats going on with these quality vehicles . It appears their are a lot of us with problems with our vehicles.
Thank you for this forum for making us realise ….we are not the only one……which is what my dealership appears to think ! :D

Dave_T said:
1. Airbag light is on.
2. The button on the camper control panel has stopped working, so you can't raise the roof etc. I'm glad I found this before I went awy with it.
3. The dreaded roof corrosion issue.
4. The steering clonk issue
5. Last, but not least, the reading light has snapped off

So, how did we do?

Airbag light - now off
Control panel light - they need to order a new unit. That'll probably come in a few days. I found a really good thread on here earlier about this fault. If this happened out of warranty I think I'd order a separate knob as a replacement. Once they get a replacement unit, I'm going to see if I can keep the old unit as well, as it's just the button that's broken.
Roof corrosion - they're going to contact vw.
Clonk - greased
Light - they said they're not going to fix it under warranty. I've had a bit of a moan, and they're going to get back to me. Has anyone else had their light fixed under warranty?

Cheers
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave_T said:
Light - they said they're not going to fix it under warranty. I've had a bit of a moan, and they're going to get back to me. Has anyone else had their light fixed under warranty?

Yes - mine was replaced under warranty a few months into ownership. No quibbles from Leicester Van Centre.

Steve

While I wait for them to come back about the light... Does anyone know where you can buy these separately?

As I understand it, this light is a standard non-vw specific part (made by osram I believe). It looks like it would be pretty simple to buy and replace myself.

If my dealer replaces it (not in warranty) it will be £50 + vat!

Well, it looks like I'm going to need to pay for the replacement light myself. the garage are refusing to do it as a warranty job.

Unfortunately the only place I found that had them was conrad electronics, but they're out of stock. They were selling them for £14, so that's quite a markup from vw.

Oh well, never mind.

After a bit of discussion, they did eventually sort out the light under warranty. And the control panel has now been replaced.

I was a little confused when I first used it, as it was set to german. A quick look on the forum for how to change it sorted that problem out!

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the service I got from the dealer.

Back