Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bordeaux, Biarritz and Arcachon help please

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Evening.

Planning a Sept 2 week jolly to the Bordeaux /Biarritz area. Having never been to the area before, please could you help with:

1. Campsite recommendations- already clocked Pavillion in Biarritz from another post

2. How best to split 2 weeks between the areas. We will probably overnight at an aire there/back to Calais, so we have 11 nights to play with. Was thinking maybe 4 nights Biarritz, 3 nights Arcachon, 4 nights Bordeaux?

3. Any must sees or dos- dune de pilat on the list!

We like exploring, patisserie and then walking, swimming, paddleboarding, cycling to burn off the patisserie.

Any help or recommendations much appreciated please.

Thanks fellow campers

Or could we do all three in a week and then spend a week elsewhere?

I'm not trying to put you off but we did the first 3 weeks in September between Bordeaux and Biarritz about 12 years ago.
It rained everyday & it appears that on the first of September that bit of France shuts. We really struggled to find places to eat out.
The only good bit that we remember from that trip is coming home early via a few days at Euro Disney.

We went a few years back, aswell as Dune du Pilat, we liked the beach at Biscarrosse Plage and Aquapark Biscarosse on the lake.

I’ve seen a few suggestions on here for camping overlooking the sea at Panorama du Pyla, wish I’d tried it.

We stayed at La Rive for the waterpark but it was really expensive and not worth the money.

(We went late August and it only rained at night)

709C3C80-7576-40DA-AA8A-681558248DC7.png

We're about 30 mins from Biarritz, and up in Bordeaux every couple of months. September will be great weather, it's a good time to go as the tourists leave in late Aug.
4 night in BDX seems a bit much unless you really need to be there - I'd spend an extra day or two on the coast.
Arcachon can feel a bit dead in late season.
Bayonne is good for a day, stay around Guethary, nice quiet beaches from Erromardie up to Cenitz - there's a dozen campsites around there or a few wild spots if you don't mind sharing with the surfers
Trip to San Sebastian via the Corniche coast road, Jaizkibel mountain road
Loads of nice villages inland like Sare
Plage de Senix

I'm not trying to put you off but we did the first 3 weeks in September between Bordeaux and Biarritz about 12 years ago.
It rained everyday & it appears that on the first of September that bit of France shuts. We really struggled to find places to eat out.
The only good bit that we remember from that trip is coming home early via a few days at Euro Disney.
All comments welcome! Thanks for the heads up. Might be worth having a fallback planned

We went a few years back, aswell as Dune du Pilat, we liked the beach at Biscarrosse Plage and Aquapark Biscarosse on the lake.

I’ve seen a few suggestions on here for camping overlooking the sea at Panorama du Pyla, wish I’d tried it.

We stayed at La Rive for the waterpark but it was really expensive and not worth the money.

(We went late August and it only rained at night)

View attachment 91506
Thank you - will look up the site and the beach

We're about 30 mins from Biarritz, and up in Bordeaux every couple of months. September will be great weather, it's a good time to go as the tourists leave in late Aug.
4 night in BDX seems a bit much unless you really need to be there - I'd spend an extra day or two on the coast.
Arcachon can feel a bit dead in late season.
Bayonne is good for a day, stay around Guethary, nice quiet beaches from Erromardie up to Cenitz - there's a dozen campsites around there or a few wild spots if you don't mind sharing with the surfers
Trip to San Sebastian via the Corniche coast road, Jaizkibel mountain road
Loads of nice villages inland like Sare
Plage de Senix
Super helpful. Thanks for the tips. We thought about San Sebastian. I fancy Bilbao too but might be too far

Having lived close to San Sebastián, I would say it’s a must see destination if you are planning on travelling as far as Biarritz, especially if you like amazing food and stunning beaches. It’s only an extra 30 miles away.

For paddle boarding, Biscarrosse lake would be ideal. The last camp site I stayed at was La Pinede… basic, but pretty relaxed, although if you are looking for somewhere with loads of extra facilities (eg a water park) , it may not be for you.

Having lived close to San Sebastián, I would say it’s a must see destination if you are planning on travelling as far as Biarritz, especially if you like amazing food and stunning beaches. It’s only an extra 30 miles away.

For paddle boarding, Biscarrosse lake would be ideal. The last camp site I stayed at was La Pinede… basic, but pretty relaxed, although if you are looking for somewhere with loads of extra facilities (eg a water park) , it may not be for you.
That sounds good. Thank you

After Late August, France is a different proposition to the main season, all French Kids will have gone back to school By late August, which reduces the load on campsite availability.

Campsites will be far less busy than in July & August.( and cheaper)

France is Huge and a totally different proposition to the U.K. it really is geared up for transient travelling (out of main season).

you can travel much easier than in The U.K., either use Motorways or back roads, both are excellent, it depends on you own preference And pace of life.

if I were you I would potentially book your first night or two at the first location, then decide from there as the mood takes you / weather / local interest etc.
you won’t struggle to find pitches available, you can ring ahead and book sites on your transient route, wherever you mood takes you.

There are some great apps that help you find campsite, Aires etc. (Some use offline maps etc)

Bon Voyage

using the search function on the forum may help give you inspiration
here is one to get you going

Camping Azu’Rivage on Lac Soustons 40 miles north of Biarritz …great for paddleboarding or cycling on the extensive network of cycle paths eg to the beach at Messanges, around the lake or down to Hossegor.