To Spain and Back

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We are planning (all borders being open) to travel from the UK to Spain (Estepona Nr Malaga) and back to the UK over the period October 2020 December 2020. 9 or 10 weeks in total. Back in the UK by Dec21st.
My route is expected to be:
Calais
Le Mans
Tours
Bordeaux
Biarritz
Burgos
Madrid
Granada
Malaga
Estepona
Having looked at the AA's "Compulsory Kit" list which lists all the usual things for driving abroad I was a little surprised not to see any ref to snow chains or winter tyres. I have GY 4 Season tyres on my cali right now which obviously carry the M & S mark and symbol. We don't plan to venture into the Pyrenees or Sierra Nevada so was thinking we would be OK without special tyres/chains.
Any thoughts anyone?

ACSI Guide states: "winter tyres not compulsory in winter conditions, but advised". No reference to chains except for towing caravans on mountain passes in winter. I have encountered snow in November between Burgos and Bilbao which was quite severe, but still passable without chains and no comment from officialdom. Tyres were Michelin Agelis M&S.

Thanks for reply. Was your experience with 2 or 4 wheel drive?

This trip sounds amazing please when you do go put some pictures on
Le Mans is Awsome the museum is well worth a visit

Thanks for reply. Was your experience with 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Two wheel drive. The experience was no worse than some winters here. I was using motorway and snowploughs were out, but struggling to keep the road clear.

We are planning (all borders being open) to travel from the UK to Spain (Estepona Nr Malaga) and back to the UK over the period October 2020 December 2020. 9 or 10 weeks in total. Back in the UK by Dec21st.
My route is expected to be:
Calais
Le Mans
Tours
Bordeaux
Biarritz
Burgos
Madrid
Granada
Malaga
Estepona
Having looked at the AA's "Compulsory Kit" list which lists all the usual things for driving abroad I was a little surprised not to see any ref to snow chains or winter tyres. I have GY 4 Season tyres on my cali right now which obviously carry the M & S mark and symbol. We don't plan to venture into the Pyrenees or Sierra Nevada so was thinking we would be OK without special tyres/chains.
Any thoughts anyone?
Sounds like an amazing trip.

I’d recommend visiting Dune Du Pilat nr Bordeaux if you get a chance.

I’d recommend visiting Dune Du Pilat nr Bordeaux if you get a chance.
I second that!!!

And I stayed at camping Le Pont Romain in Yvré-l'Évêque, near Le Mans.
A decent camping for a couple of nights. Very quiet and just a small trip to Le Mans.
Worth visiting near Tours: Château du Clos Lucé. An exposition with "all" the inventions of Leonardo Da Vinci. Very nice.