Status
Not open for further replies.
GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Clearly someone quite ill, an illness possibly exacerbated by him working round the clock whilst infected.

I am sure many of us would want to post some sentiments wishing him well, for me he is no longer a tory prime minister but the leader of a country facing an immense challenge and someone who was demonstrating drive and energy.

Can we please leave old enmities and political diatribe to one side please. There are other threads for that.

Last edited:
Clearly someone quite ill, an illness possibly exacerbated by him working round the clock whilst infected.

I am sure many of us would want to post some sentiments wishing him well, for me he is no longer a tory prime minister but a leader of a country facing an immense challenge and someone who was demonstrating drive and energy.

Can we please leave old enmities and political diatribe to one side please.
Keep fighting Boris

Boris, you're at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers tonight along with all those suffering with this awful virus. Our prayers are also very much with all the brave devoted NHS staff who are risking their lives each day to give essential care and treatment. God bless you all.

Agree. Every day I despair at the loss of life but was shocked and saddened to hear about Boris tonight. Come on Boris! Fight this disease we're rooting for you, as is most of the nation.

Agree with the NHS sentiment, Borris.

Of the 51,608 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the UK, 89.5% have recovered and been discharged or are being treated in hospital.

A Guardian/Observer report of 29 March suggests that of 165 intensive care Covid-19 patients with an outcome, 86 (52%) recovered and were discharged and 79 (48%) died. However, that is somewhat misleading. The study was of 775 patients - 610 (79%) remain in intensive care.

I can't help but think of the Prime Minister's children, Lara, Milo, Cassie and Theodore at this time. I don't know what 11 year old Stephanie, who's paternity the Prime Minister denied for years, might think, but my thoughts are with her also. And there is also an unborn child to consider.

Godspeed Boris.

Boris, you're at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers tonight along with all those suffering with this awful virus. Our prayers are also very much with all the brave devoted NHS staff who are risking their lives each day to give essential care and treatment. God bless you all.

That‘s wot I said, allbeit less eloquently..........;)

Last edited:
Of the 51,608 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the UK, 89.5% have recovered and been discharged or are being treated in hospital.

A Guardian/Observer report of 29 March suggests that of 165 intensive care Covid-19 patients with an outcome, 86 (52%) recovered and were discharged and 79 (48%) died. However, that is somewhat misleading. The study was of 775 patients - 610 (79%) remain in intensive care.

I can't help but think of the Prime Minister's children, Lara, Milo, Cassie and Theodore at this time. I don't know what 11 year old Stephanie, who's paternity the Prime Minister denied for years, might think, but my thoughts are with her also. And there is also an unborn child to consider.

Godspeed Boris.

Also.....

The ~50% death rate in ITU is for those who are ventilated.

and 2/3 admissions to ITU with Covid get ventilated

At the time of writing this post Johnson is not yet being ventilated.

That‘s wot I said, allbeit less eloquently..........;)
Sorry, it was late and I didn't read everything before posting.
I'm sure most of us are having the same thoughts at the moment and there's only so many ways to express them.

Sorry, it was late and I didn't read everything before posting.
I'm sure most of us are having the same thoughts at the moment and there's only so many ways to express them.
No apology, please....Just wish I had your dictionary , :)

Boris will be okay, Mr Trump will save him...

(CNN, 7 Apr) "In one of the strangest moments of Monday's appearance in the White House Briefing Room, Trump seemed to suggest he had rushed an unspecified mystery therapy to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is battling Covid-19 in intensive care.

After meeting the heads of pharmaceutical companies, Trump said: "I've asked them to contact London immediately."

"They speak a language that most people don't even understand, but I understand something, that they've really advanced therapeutics and therapeutically, and they have arrived in London already," Trump said. "We've contacted all of Boris' doctors, and we'll see what is going to take place, but they are ready to go."

It was not clear which therapy Trump was referencing. And his offer would apparently involve the British Prime Minister's doctors handing over treatment decisions to American pharmaceutical companies. But in recent days he's been aggressively touting the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and dispensing medical advice that it should be given to coronavirus victims."

Also.....

The ~50% death rate in ITU is for those who are ventilated.

and 2/3 admissions to ITU with Covid get ventilated

At the time of writing this post Johnson is not yet being ventilated.
Have you a cite for that ~50% mortality on ventilation. The report I cited was 48% mortality admitted to intensive care where there had been an outcome.

Boris will be okay, Mr Trump will save him...

(CNN, 7 Apr) "In one of the strangest moments of Monday's appearance in the White House Briefing Room, Trump seemed to suggest he had rushed an unspecified mystery therapy to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is battling Covid-19 in intensive care.

After meeting the heads of pharmaceutical companies, Trump said: "I've asked them to contact London immediately."

"They speak a language that most people don't even understand, but I understand something, that they've really advanced therapeutics and therapeutically, and they have arrived in London already," Trump said. "We've contacted all of Boris' doctors, and we'll see what is going to take place, but they are ready to go."

It was not clear which therapy Trump was referencing. And his offer would apparently involve the British Prime Minister's doctors handing over treatment decisions to American pharmaceutical companies. But in recent days he's been aggressively touting the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and dispensing medical advice that it should be given to coronavirus victims."
I am speechless!

I didn't realise Trump was a very experienced doctor as well as the President of the US.

Alan

I was shocked when I heard the news last night, and found myself actually thinking about him when I woke during the night. It really seemed to hit home harder than I imagined it would.

I wish him all the best and hope to see him return to full health as soon as possible.

Have you a cite for that ~50% mortality on ventilation. The report I cited was 48% mortality admitted to intensive care where there had been an outcome.

OK - sorry my numbers were off -- anyway this will help...

https://www.icnarc.org/ is the national intensive care audit database

this file gives the situation as per 4th April

In summary from that document

overall survival ~49.9% (Table 3, page 10).

if advanced respiratory support -- survival 32.7% (Table 4 page 13)

'advanced respiratory support' defined broadly as "ventilated" (page 15)

Attachments

• ICNARC.pdf
    401 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back