Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bought an Ocean, have questions (Towbar, Wild Camping)

Hi, when I registered with VW Online I can see full specification of the vehicle - pre wiring is not mentioned in there, but I will double check. Don't know what VW Erwin is :)
There is a sticker in the Service/Handbook, under the Dashboard or on Drivers seat base that shows the Option Codes for all options fitted.
Google VW Transporter Option Codes and you can read the details for each code.
I can find nothing in writing to contradict the VW information that the OEM Westfalia Vertical loading , supported/unsupported is anything less than 100kgms.
The majority of towbar bicycle racks state a loading capacity of 60kgms or so, 2-4 bicycles, and the racks normally weigh about 20kgms, so a total weight of 80kgms. All are advertised for the Transporter with no additional qualification as to which towbar to use.

I've used these for cars (Cali was Factory fit) with good results. Don't know if your area covered as need a Postcode to check.

There is a sticker in the Service/Handbook, under the Dashboard or on Drivers seat base that shows the Option Codes for all options fitted.
Google VW Transporter Option Codes and you can read the details for each code.
I can find nothing in writing to contradict the VW information that the OEM Westfalia Vertical loading , supported/unsupported is anything less than 100kgms.
The majority of towbar bicycle racks state a loading capacity of 60kgms or so, 2-4 bicycles, and the racks normally weigh about 20kgms, so a total weight of 80kgms. All are advertised for the Transporter with no additional qualification as to which towbar to use.
Thanks for the info. Found the sticker, lots of codes on there, but def not all as many options I know it has aren't on there. None of them are for pre-wiring either.

I've used these for cars (Cali was Factory fit) with good results. Don't know if your area covered as need a Postcode to check.

Cheers, says they cover 85% of UK. Must be in population as don't do Scotland...

Thanks for the info. Found the sticker, lots of codes on there, but def not all as many options I know it has aren't on there. None of them are for pre-wiring either.
I think it may only include paid for Options.

Ta, don't see 1D7 on the sticker in my handbook, but then again there are options I know it has that aren't listed either.
Probably the sticker doesn't cover them all. Maybe erWin does, but I'm not sure. Things are changing from stickers to digital. The list of our Cali configuration is 9 pages long! I doubt they can fit that on 1 sticker.

Probably the sticker doesn't cover them all. Maybe erWin does, but I'm not sure. Things are changing from stickers to digital. The list of our Cali configuration is 9 pages long! I doubt they can fit that on 1 sticker.
Not sure how erWin works tbh, is this a paid for thing?

Not sure how erWin works tbh, is this a paid for thing?
Yes. You pay for timed access. But you can download pdf documents for your particular vehicle by VIN number.

Yes. You pay for timed access. But you can download pdf documents for your particular vehicle by VIN number.
Ok ta. Struggling to see where I download my info. Can see how to pay for things (repair guides etc).

Ok ta. Struggling to see where I download my info. Can see how to pay for things (repair guides etc).
I'm sorry I can't help as I've never used erWin.

We've found the SearchForSites app very useful

After looking at a Grand California we decided it was too large so took the plunge on an Ocean. Looking forward to getting a few nights in it soon.

I want to retrofit a tow bar, mainly so I can attach a tiltable bike carrier for 2 e-bikes. Vehicle does not have pre-wiring as far as I know. Got two quotes locally, one at £1,100, another at half the cost. Both detachable. Neither guarantees no issues with sensors. So confused reigns. Looking for advice and possible recommendations of supplier/fitter, West Scotland region (Ayrshire/Glasgow OK). Tried Lookers Baillieston, still waiting on a reply.

Wild camping - this is likely what we will do most, with only odd visit to campsites where necessary. Any recommendations on iOS Apps for good off grid stopover information?

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Forgot to say, my van has Discover Nav Pro and a WeConnect Plus subscription (active). My understanding is the navigation map should show traffic flow, i.e. roads in red/orange/green indicating the flow of traffic. It does not appear to be working, any menu options I've missed, been through them a few times but can't see anything?
good evening
After looking at a Grand California we decided it was too large so took the plunge on an Ocean. Looking forward to getting a few nights in it soon.

I want to retrofit a tow bar, mainly so I can attach a tiltable bike carrier for 2 e-bikes. Vehicle does not have pre-wiring as far as I know. Got two quotes locally, one at £1,100, another at half the cost. Both detachable. Neither guarantees no issues with sensors. So confused reigns. Looking for advice and possible recommendations of supplier/fitter, West Scotland region (Ayrshire/Glasgow OK). Tried Lookers Baillieston, still waiting on a reply.

Wild camping - this is likely what we will do most, with only odd visit to campsites where necessary. Any recommendations on iOS Apps for good off grid stopover information?

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Forgot to say, my van has Discover Nav Pro and a WeConnect Plus subscription (active). My understanding is the navigation map should show traffic flow, i.e. roads in red/orange/green indicating the flow of traffic. It does not appear to be working, any menu options I've missed, been through them a few times but can't see anything?
Good

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Hello williamd My first post as a new member but helpful hopefully. I sneaked into membership with a T6 T30 Reimo Trio style. I recently removed the tailgate mounted bike rack.The fitter recommended a TowTrust commercial fixed flange 4 hole bar and ALKO ball. The ball is on the lower set of holes. The bar replaces the crash beam behind the "plastic" bumper. Provided with 13 pin dedicated and coded wiring and with certification confirming rated at 120Kg vertical load on the ball. £650 fitted on the drive here in sheffield Used in combination with a Pro user Diamant SG2 Plus gives plenty of tailgate opening clearance . See Ultimate Towbars excellent website. Hope this helps
After looking at a Grand California we decided it was too large so took the pllent lunge on an Ocean. Looking forward to getting a few nights in it soon.

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

£1100 seems about right for supply and fit tow bar make sure it’s a tilting one so as to open the tail gate while bikes are still on (Altera strada ) the tow bar has to be intergrated into the electrics the sensors still work but you have to compensate for the tow bar hook but when rack is fitted won’t work for that extra length don’t forget bike racks have maximum weight so you will probably have to remove the batteries on e/bikes

I can’t help with towbar fitters in Scotland but some general comments on retrofitting a towbar which we have done.

A reputable local fitter I have used before has had quite a journey with our fitting. Initially, they had to rebook us in since the wiring in the 6.1 was different to T6 Californias they had done before and really hard to reach behind the dashboard. The wiring position apparently moves around a lot, so ours might have been a VW fitter having a bad day! Anyway, all successfully fitted and we bought a Thule tiltable rack from them at the same time.

We have just been back to them since it can be really difficult to take the rack off sometimes and is generally harder than it should be. Apparently, we had the rack too flat and it is designed to be tilted (back) up. This was demonstrated and I then said, “let's open the tailgate”. I did so carefully since I thought it wouldn’t open and it didn’t.

To cut a long story short(ish) it is going back next week to have the removable Westfalia towbar changed for a removable Towtrust. The Westfalia is very close (within legal limits but only just) to the bumper. The Towtrust should be further away and that should give enough room to open the tailgate!

The bike rack is going in with the van so that it can checked and everything sorted properly. Whilst, it has been a pain toing and froing, the fitters have been helpful and are doing everything within the original agreed price, so I can't complain.
Just a quick update. Tow-Trust towbar now fitted and it is about 25mm further away from the bumper than the Westfalia. It now clears easily even with a correctly aligned bike rack. It is slightly higher than the Westfalia, so the closest point to the tailgate is now the portion of the bike rack that locks onto the towbar. Still clears though.

If you are fitting a towbar with the Thule Velospace rack, I would recommend the Tow-Trust over the Westfalia, purely because of the extra space. And the fact that the electrics socket rotates out of view behind the bumper when not in use!

Back