Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First time hire of Cali Ocean

Hi everyone

Have been looking at this site for several months now, very envious of all your Calis, Beaches etc and the trips you have shared.

My wife and I have hired a Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, to go on a little tour of the UK. We are seriously considering buying one next year, but wanted to get a flavour of what it is like. We have much experience in camping. We normally use a Tent Teepee and wood burning stove, even in the winter, so winter trip is not an issue for us. We plan to take our electric bikes for days out or popping to shops or pub, therefore will need some sites with power hook up. We also plan to do some fell and mountain walking etc. if weather allows and it is safe.

We are getting our Cali from Ocean Mist, and it seems to be comprehensively kitted out. Plan on going to Northumbria, travelling down perhaps via Yorkshire, Cumbria, Wales to Gloucestershire over 10 days for Christmas with family, and then to Portreath for New Year with friends, where we will be in a house, yes with four walls. Then return back to Petersfield for 5th January.

With no experience of the Cali at all or any campervan / caravaning, could really do with some advice on what to take with us. Some questions we have been considering:

Recommendations for places to stay, wild camp, camp sites or pub car parks.
Book in advance or take a chance?
Sleeping bags or bedding?
Any other essentials that might not be provided with Cali?
Any other tips welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance

I remember reading a post which said something along the lines of “the first ten nights in your new van are about learning to be comfortable”.

I think that's a very good thing to keep in mind. Renting is absolutely the right thing to do, but our first four nights in a rented Cali in inclement British weather were not the most comfortable experience we’ve had (though they were probably better than a tent would have been). The other aspects of the trip were great, and that’s what kept us going in the campervan investigations, but it’s good to be prepared.

One of the biggest things for us was finding more comfortable mattresses. For the van we eventually bought, we got two self-inflating ones, which were not too bulky and Let us control the firmness individually. Sleeping bags which could unzip fully and be used as duvets. Etc.

A thermal topper for the roof, though bulky and a bit awkward when wet, makes for much cozier evenings in the winter. Many hire companies will have those available, and I’d take one of those and any mattress toppers they can offer :)

Almost everywhere we’ve ever stayed has had electric hookup. We find, therefore, that a small electric kettle saves a lot of fiddling with gas, and filling a flask in the morning before we leave the site makes coffee after lunch a lot easier.

A few other accessory ideas on my blog here:
https://statusq.org/archives/2018/10/13/8664/

On your route, we liked http://www.westfieldpaddock.co.uk/ Close to Seahouses - you can walk to the beach. Adults only. Very convenient for Lindisfarne and Bamburgh Castle. Well-maintained, but no loos or showers - we used a loo tent. It’s on the top of a rise so might be a bit windy at this time of the year!
There are one or two others on your route that we liked - we tend to go for small sites - but not open in December.

Finally, we’re members of both the big clubs, but my current favourite place for searching for campsites is ukcampsite.co.uk. Even though it looks like a website from the 90s, it has good search filtering options: we usually want showers and ‘dog-friendly’, for example, and it does list the club sites in its results.

Have fun!

Hi I noticed you mentioned you live near Petersfield. Did you know there's a very good camper hire company not far from you in Droxford. Kamper Hire. We used them 3 times before we bought an Ocean. Mark there is very accommodating.

Oh, and a follow-up; I agree with others that the big club sites can make life a lot more comfortable. We stay well clear of them when they’re full and crowded in midsummer - the Caravan & Motorhome Club ones can be particularly cramped - but off-peak they can be delightful, and you get a good shower and nice hot water for washing up! Our favourite is the Camping & Caravan Club one at Sandringham - not really on your route, though!

We found the Go Outdoors stores to be good & convenient places to stop after a few nights when you discover what you’re lacking in terms of equipment! As seasoned campers you may have less need of these, though!

Sounds exciting!

If you are choosing a camp site in the winter months, we always choose one with a heated shower block.We are wimps!

And we prefer duvets to sleeping bags. You can wrap them round you and if you need to get up in the night - so much easier. I told you that we were wimps.

Pubs are good - food, warmth and congenial company in the long winter evenings.

Have a wonderful Christmas - you will, I am sure, have a holiday to remember.