Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boxdrive - do I belong here?

K

knwldgeseker

VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
Hi All,
Just signed up to the forum, but not sure if I'm in the right place - don't have a California but do have a Boxdrive 680 ME - see the photos. Kinda looks like a dolphin, doesn't it? With the snub nose?
First campervan, purchased following six months of detailed research. Bought it in Berlin as we wanted a First Edition model (lots of extras as standard) and LHD.
We drove it back two weeks ago, now going through the registration process.
But if this is not the right forum won't take offence, just be polite when telling me!
Have fun everyone..............

IMG-20191023-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20191023-WA0001.jpg

Hi, welcome, I’m sure the moderator will advise.
out of interest what do you use as a black out for the front and side cabin doors.

They come with a full black-out curtain Breeze1, in two halves that zip together in the centre

They come with a full black-out curtain Breeze1, in two halves that zip together in the centre
Hi Knwldgeseker
Sounds more sensible than the VW GC effort, in your estimation could the Boxdrive system work in the GC ?

Hi All,
Just signed up to the forum, but not sure if I'm in the right place - don't have a California but do have a Boxdrive 680 ME - see the photos. Kinda looks like a dolphin, doesn't it? With the snub nose?
First campervan, purchased following six months of detailed research. Bought it in Berlin as we wanted a First Edition model (lots of extras as standard) and LHD.
We drove it back two weeks ago, now going through the registration process.
But if this is not the right forum won't take offence, just be polite when telling me!
Have fun everyone..............

View attachment 52520

View attachment 52521

We are campervanners first and Cali owners second, or something like that .... so welcome fellow campervanner :D

We are all curious and nosey so please, lots of pics and stories, what does it drive like, what's it got in it, how do you think it compares to a Grand Cali..... ..

Hi Knwldgeseker
Sounds more sensible than the VW GC effort, in your estimation could the Boxdrive system work in the GC ?
Without having been inside a GC, as the Boxdrive is a standard Crafter cab difficult to see why it wouldn't

We are campervanners first and Cali owners second, or something like that .... so welcome fellow campervanner :D

We are all curious and nosey so please, lots of pics and stories, what does it drive like, what's it got in it, how do you think it compares to a Grand Cali..... ..

Thank you!

Well it's an auto, 170bhp, with all the toys as standard. The First Edition has many extras, such as detachable towbar, external shower, upgraded media etc. All lighting (in and out) is LED and all openings apart from rear doors have full mosquito nets. There is a fixed bed in the rear which, with scatter cushions etc, doubles up (get it?) as a lounging area and most importantly that sleeping area has a skylight, two side windows and two rear door windows, all of which open.

Great to drive, few rattles from cupboard doors that will need adjustment but very relaxing to drive. I drive cars one way, and then seem to automatically adopt a completely different persona when on my motorbike - well it turns out I adopt a veeery laid-back persona when driving this! But the power is still there if I wanted to - or needed to - use it.

We love the high seating position for the extra vision, and love the absolute freedom it gives when travelling. So far, that extends only to a two day trip back from Berlin (!) but early days yet.

I'd take pictures of the inside and the unique shower arrangements but it's off in storage at the moment but basically it has a 'marmite' shower system - you tend to either love it or hate it. The toilet has two concave doors and when you want to shower you lift a circular section in the middle of the walkway from front to back to reveal a shower tray. Then close the two concave doors around you and, voila, you have a larger shower cubicle.

Before we used it for the first time I was neutral on it (I know, ruins my marmite analogy.............) and my wife was definitely against it but accepted it because of other benefits in the van. After using it though, both converts, love it. Loads of room and easy to use.

Happy to (try to) answer any questions if there are any.

Without having been inside a GC, as the Boxdrive is a standard Crafter cab difficult to see why it wouldn't
Thanks, the GC has the standard Crafter cab sorry to ask when you have a moment and it’s not to much of a bother may you post a photo Of your system.
thanks in advance.
Will

Lovely van: that’s what we’d get if we were in the market for that class of van (not a Grand Cali). I’m sure you’ll be welcome especially if you pay your money! A few others here have them or have ordered one.

@DNR and @itscalledbob on here have them: read this post

I agree with @Quentin SF very friendly informative bunch on this forum.
I briefly flirted with idea of a jaguar f type and honestly the feedback I got on this forum reassured me that I was making the right decision with a Cali so a big :welcome

I’ve got a Cali, but also use another ‘motorhomer‘ forum website which has discussions on a wider set of campers than just VW’s. The clue is in the title name, with a dot com.
I will say 3 hail mary’s and repent all my sins for posting such infidelity ;-)

Much of the information and discussion on the site will be useful to most campervan users but some will be a bit more specific. However all are welcome and a little variety and other perspectives is great for us all.

Hi knwldgeseker

Good to see another Boxdrive owner in the UK. I’ve been using this site for some time, I find it very informative, check in regularly. I have been posting details of my Boxdrive on here and receive absolutely no criticism for doing so. Great bunch!

It is very unlikely we will see a Boxdrive club so this is a nice place to catch up...

Here is mine:

300DB3F7-C152-48F8-9605-BD550C9CBABB.jpeg

Ditto....I’ve been made very welcome too....and with the comments above, I might dare venture further south with club meets next year!

knwldgeseker, I wonder if you could help me.

I didn’t get an operators manual for the Dometic control panel with my Boxdrive, and having a play with it, I managed to activate the alarm clock. I don’t know how to turn the damn thing off, I can change the time, but not off completely, so it is going off daily.

I have noticed it is a similar system on the GC. Can anyone help? My dealer is no help and Knaus don't seem to want to help either...

F6DF552A-22FD-4CCF-B1E4-6113B1554D63.jpeg

5ADB28A2-EFA3-490A-BB72-DB706142FD89.jpeg

3E35396B-CE94-41C5-A270-0BE327D1C66F.jpeg

I’ve jyst bought a Cali. But was very impressed with the Box drive and the Westfalia Sven Hedin. Both much nicer options than the GC, so I would welcome your observations

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome! Glad I joined now.......:D

Thanks, the GC has the standard Crafter cab sorry to ask when you have a moment and it’s not to much of a bother may you post a photo Of your system.
thanks in advance.
Will
Hi Breeze1, sorry for the delay. I'm posting the pictures now, you'll have to zoom in to see the curtain rail though. The little cutout you'll see is to allow for the light unit in the centre of the windscreen and it's at that point it zips together with the other half.

Boxdrive Curtain cut-out.jpg

2019-11-12 14.55.37.jpg

Boxdrive curtain rail, view from lhs out windscreen.jpg

Back