Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake warning light

Larkrise

Larkrise

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Brake pad warning light is lighting up intermittently. We have the van booked for service for end of next week. Does this light up when it gets metal/metal contact- so not really a great idea to drive for fear of damaging disks? We have a couple of weekend trips planned, so not sure if we should not use the van. Haven't heard any grating...and don't really want to! Any words of wisdom?

Depending what wheels you have you should be able to see what the pads are like.

Well, I did have a look and there looks to be pad left, but the dealer did say when it was in a couple of months ago that they would need doing soon, and we've done 55k, and... is it metal/metal that triggers the light (apart from a fault)?

Well, I did have a look and there looks to be pad left, but the dealer did say when it was in a couple of months ago that they would need doing soon, and we've done 55k, and... is it metal/metal that triggers the light (apart from a fault)?
No. It is a soft metal plug , normally copper, within the brake pad material that closes a circuit with the disc and energises the Brake Pad Warning Light.
I would think you have a few thousand miles, but these sensors are only on the front brakes not the rear, but then they tend to wear quicker than the rear pads.

Ah good, thank you. If the light is only just showing then the chances seem to be that there will be enough for the relatively short trips we have planned.

Back