Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servicing Brakes

If you don't use it regularly the disks get a build up of rust, then when you go out most of the braking is at the front so they get cleaned off. The rears however don't get cleaned so well and rust persists, it builds up and the rough surface of the rear disks grinds away at the rear pads.
Mine is steadily going the same way..

I got my local mechanic to replace mine and I had a chat with him about why he thought they had worn so quickly. He said the caliper was fine and was in no way stuck or sticking, apart from the wear everything was mechanically sound and he basically said sometimes it happens. We have done 10000 miles since they were replaced and whilst putting my winter tyres on last weekend I had a good look at all the pads, the fronts are still looking very good and the rears have hardly worn so I’m happy. Poo happens.

If you don't use it regularly the disks get a build up of rust, then when you go out most of the braking is at the front so they get cleaned off. The rears however don't get cleaned so well and rust persists, it builds up and the rough surface of the rear disks grinds away at the rear pads.
Mine is steadily going the same way..

Thank you.....makes sense.

J

Our rears are wearing more than the fronts as well. 43k and still ok but odd.
Must stop doing handbrake turns.:headbang

I’d my T6 Beach serviced by VW today, 43,700 miles.... Front pads 70% and rears 75% worn according to them. I’ll be in the market for new pads in the next couple of months.

Just for other's reference, do you have 16" or 17" brakes?

Whilst my T6 Beach was ordered with 17" cascaval alloys from the factory, it's only the 150PS version and the "Gross Vehicle Weight" was not upgraded to 3080KG either (it's standard 3000KG GVW.) So, I've been told 16" brakes by my local van centre. I haven't measured myself tho, and this is the first time replacement pads have been fitted.

My T6 Ocean had its first MOT today and I booked a health check and MOT with a VW dealer. Won't name them just yet, but service was terrible with a 50 minute wait to finally pick up the van at the end.

I got a call saying that both rear disks needed replacing along with pads. Apparently the pads had worn to metal and scarred the disks. This ended up costing a lot of money.

I queried why I had not seen the warning lights for pad wear and was told there is only one sensor at the back and that "bad luck" meant the pad where the sensor was turned out to be just about OK but the rest were worn down.

Does this sound right? Not a lot I can do now as I had to get the MOT done as I needed the van but it seems like either really bad design on VW's part or some porkies from the dealer. They did offer to show me the offending disks, but how would I know whether or not they were the ones that came off my van?

How many miles have your rear pads done Dave ? I tend to inspect mine visually, annually, and your last main agent garage check should have drawn your attention to limited pad material left, if pads had insufficient life left in them to next service ..

29,000 miles but nothing mentioned at 12,500 interim service

My T6 Ocean had its first MOT today and I booked a health check and MOT with a VW dealer. Won't name them just yet, but service was terrible with a 50 minute wait to finally pick up the van at the end.

I got a call saying that both rear disks needed replacing along with pads. Apparently the pads had worn to metal and scarred the disks. This ended up costing a lot of money.

I queried why I had not seen the warning lights for pad wear and was told there is only one sensor at the back and that "bad luck" meant the pad where the sensor was turned out to be just about OK but the rest were worn down.

Does this sound right? Not a lot I can do now as I had to get the MOT done as I needed the van but it seems like either really bad design on VW's part or some porkies from the dealer. They did offer to show me the offending disks, but how would I know whether or not they were the ones that came off my van?
Others have had pads and discs changed at lower mileages. It really depends if the vehicle is laid up for prolonged periods. I had my pads, front & rear, and front discs changed at 77,000 miles. The rear discs were pristine and the front had some corrosion grooving on the inside face. I use mine daily averaging 20,000 miles/year.

I checked my rear discs during the week and they are slightly scored so will put new ones on in the summer. Fronts are still perfect.

I had a D2 Discovery from new that needed new disc and pads all round at 24k miles. I kept the vehicle to 66k miles and didn't undertake any further replacements.

I read this thread with interest as I need to do mine soon and here are my updated findings regarding the job (not the OP's original questions).

For reference,
The last 2 VW services have pointed out
corroded rear discs (not worn) but rear pad wear at 80-90%
front pad wear 60%
I have done a couple of K since then, so going for

Europarts still have a sale on (or more to the point another sale).
£92 for all 4 corners in terms of Brembo pads. Free delivery over £25.
Rear discs £54.

I have decided to get a rear calliper winder tool but gone for a kit rather than pay £23 + £5.99 for a T6 one from justtkampers.
So £20 on free delivery
ref=as_li_ss_tl

I'm leaving the front discs for now obviously and like @andyinluton I need to understand the diameter.
It's been years since I got my hands dirty with Jobs like this :Nailbiting:D

I read this thread with interest as I need to do mine soon and here are my updated findings regarding the job (not the OP's original questions).

For reference,
The last 2 VW services have pointed out
corroded rear discs (not worn) but rear pad wear at 80-90%
front pad wear 60%
I have done a couple of K since then, so going for

Europarts still have a sale on (or more to the point another sale).
£92 for all 4 corners in terms of Brembo pads. Free delivery over £25.
Rear discs £54.

I have decided to get a rear calliper winder tool but gone for a kit rather than pay £23 + £5.99 for a T6 one from justtkampers.
So £20 on free delivery
ref=as_li_ss_tl

I'm leaving the front discs for now obviously and like @andyinluton I need to understand the diameter.
It's been years since I got my hands dirty with Jobs like this :Nailbiting:D
ATE rear discs are £17.04 each from Euro Carparts.Bargain in my opinion for a quality disc.

ATE rear discs are £17.04 each from Euro Carparts.Bargain in my opinion for a quality disc.
I saw them but I'm pretty clueless with disc quality and had to go with something I have heard of with a generally good reputation.

What can be the downsides of really cheap discs? that is in addition to what any brand may typically suffer from.
It'll be handy in future :thumb.

I saw them but I'm pretty clueless with disc quality and had to go with something I have heard of with a generally good reputation.

What can be the downsides of really cheap discs? that is in addition to what any brand may typically suffer from.
Usually these discs are more expensive than Brembo when not on offer.

Unless you know exactly the material spec/manufacturing process then it’s a roll of the dice.
For me, it’s just that slightly better feeling knowing you gone with a reputed brand.

I’ve just done my front pads, went with Meyle.
They were down to the indication wires after 50k km. Discs were within allowed thickness.

…….avoiding anything from China obvs.

I have just been quoted £950 to have all four corners replaced, (discs and pads) from a VW Vancenter and £750 from an independent. Both seem a little steep so I will probably change them myself. It's been many years since I last did something like this so I'm not looking forward to it. Does anyone have any pointers that might make my life easier?

You will need a 9mm hex to get the calipers off, a wind back tool to push the pistons back. I usually get the replacements from EuroCarparts.

I got around to doing mine a few weeks back with a friend for some support (confidence has wained over the years)
But get the tools that @briwy mentions and you should have no real issues.
I was expecting the wheels to be stuck to the discs but they were all OK and came free easily.

Take notice of how the wear sensor is routed on the existing set up and understand how it fits before it's too late.
I also bought brake cleaner and copper grease to go with it having spent less than £30 on the piston wind back tool and 9mm hex.

If you are out of practise (as was I) expect the parts to feel bulky and stubborn during relocating the replacement parts.
Don't forget to remove the brake fluid reservoir lid before pushing back the pistons and be careful(ish) with the rubber gaiters they tend to twist but you can free them up first.
Finally if you order from euroarts I was initially given the wrong front pads (there are a number of alternatives apparently) but they can do the donkey work for you and tell which ones yours should have.

I basically followed this

Last edited: