Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servicing Brakes

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I had the brake wear warning light illuminate during the week. Knowing the rear pads were low & the disks quite badly lipped I've spent the morning replacing the lot.

However the Warning light is still on, is it supposed to be & needs reseting via computer?

Also just about to order new disks & pads for the front, 3 sizes of disk are given for a T5, 303mm, 333mm and 340mm. I presume being a 140Se its the 303mm that I need as it has the smaller brakes & the 340 is for the 180SE?

Two replies and one question...

No I don't think the warning has to be re-set with VCDS or similar.

Disc size is simply the diameter, either take a wheel off and measure or go to a van centre and let them tell you by entering the chassis number.

What mileage have you done to need new pads? I have had three T5s and now a T6 the T5s had done over 40,000 miles when I sold them and although getting low on the pads hadn't brought the warning on.

Rod

42,000 probably 4-5mm left on the rear pads. First time ever that I've admired defeat & had to use a special tool to push back the pistons. I've always managed without on every other vehicle.

There was a sensor on the rear but on one pad on drivers side only.

Europarts set of pagid pads & no-name disks for the rear came in at about £75 for the lot so not worth not doing the disks. I could have done more miles on the disks but when we are talking that sort of money I would rather do them now whilst its convenient.

I haven't got the energy to take another wheel off to measure the fronts hence the question.

Interesting. I’m now on 63,000 miles and the Pads, Front and Rear still had more than 50% of material left and disks were pristine. Confirmed at recent service.
Oh, and the sensors are only on the Front Pads as they tend to wear more than the Rear.

I had the brake wear warning light illuminate during the week. Knowing the rear pads were low & the disks quite badly lipped I've spent the morning replacing the lot.

However the Warning light is still on, is it supposed to be & needs reseting via computer?

Also just about to order new disks & pads for the front, 3 sizes of disk are given for a T5, 303mm, 333mm and 340mm. I presume being a 140Se its the 303mm that I need as it has the smaller brakes & the 340 is for the 180SE?
Warning light. Pads or fluid level? Check both?

Orange warning light with message "check brake wear"

If it was low fluid it would be a red light.

Warning light. Pads or fluid level? Check both?
Handbrake On or Low Fluid is a Red Warning Light.

Brake Pad Wear is a Yellow Warning Light.

I’ve just had new rear pads and discs. Vehicle has done 21000 in just over two years, the discs were in a bad way with a lot of wear and one of the pads was nearly warn through. Fronts are absolutely fine will over 60% left.

Did you also replace the wear sensor?
I didn’t do it, used local mechanic he never mentioned a sensor and he’s a very particular kind of guy. I wonder if there is one as one of the pads was so badly warn but no warning lights appeared on the dash. I’ve got to pick up his invoice in the next few days so I’ll check with him.

I’ve just had new rear pads and discs. Vehicle has done 21000 in just over two years, the discs were in a bad way with a lot of wear and one of the pads was nearly warn through. Fronts are absolutely fine will over 60% left.
I’m very surprised that the Rear Pads should wear so significantly compared with the Front. I would expect it to be the other way round.

Yes - replaced the sensor, quite strangely the pads without the sensors cost more than those with. If you buy the ones with the sensors the pads themselves are identical, but you get two sensors with the short cables & connectors to install yourself onto the pads

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m now on 63,000 miles and the Pads, Front and Rear still had more than 50% of material left and disks were pristine. Confirmed at recent service.
Oh, and the sensors are only on the Front Pads as they tend to wear more than the Rear.
Mine has sensor on offside rear. The rear will normally wear slower so odds on you’ll change front pads before the rear. Surely logic dictates should have sensors on both axels.l?

I’m very surprised that the Rear Pads should wear so significantly compared with the Front. I would expect it to be the other way round.

Smaller pads than the front doing almost as much work? more rust build up on the discs because of the handbrake? does the anti skid control stuff apply the rear brakes more than the front? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the anti roll back system only locks the rear brakes & when you pull away they are dragging? Don't know really.

Mine have worn just about evenly front to back.

The modern minis i've had always got through them quicker at the back as well.

Mine has sensor on offside rear. The rear will normally wear slower so odds on you’ll change front pads before the rear. Surely logic dictates should have sensors on both axels.l?

There are front & back on mine 2015model

Ione of the pads was so badly warn but no warning lights appeared on the dash.

It is only the inside pad on the drivers side that has a sensor, if any of the other 3 wore down more than that one you wouldn't get any warning light.

The type of brake callipers fitted are prone to sticking, when they stick the inside pad ends up doing more work than the outside ones. I would guess it was your passenger side inside pad that was badly worn.

Also feel there is something amiss. My rear discs where changed at over 60k miles. Fronts at 40k. Changing rear at 21k not normal. Worth a google .

He did say one pad badly worn more than the rest, sounds like a sticking calliper.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz

Re your warning light. After having rear pads and discs changed I had an intermittent flashing of the check pad warning. Found others on the T5 forum who had same with solutions. It could be of help to you. Took mine back and they said something about not pushed in properly. Not sure if connector or pin in pad.

Correct. Just re-checked the video.

FE06DD4A-8C7C-4BE5-ACAF-996923AEBAB5.jpeg

Yes - replaced the sensor, quite strangely the pads without the sensors cost more than those with. If you buy the ones with the sensors the pads themselves are identical, but you get two sensors with the short cables & connectors to install yourself onto the pads
I ask as the sensors are all wired in series and either a break in the circuit or the circuit going to ground(when the sensor wears through and exposes the wire) can cause the light, so I wonder if you have another sensor just wearing through?

Edit: if you have a spare sensor you could use it on each corner, one at a time, to find which one is causing the light?

Thanks, its helpful to know the way they are wired. The light was only intermittent before I changed the rears, & still only intermittent. Am guessing its the front brakes which weather permitting, I'll be doing this weekend.

Am hoping to go to Spain at Easter & wanted to do them all before then anyway so regard it as a bit of early preventative maintenance.

Our rears are wearing more than the fronts as well. 43k and still ok but odd.
Must stop doing handbrake turns.:headbang

Hi, just heard from the dealer that our 2016 California Ocean needs new discs and pads at the rear (95% worn and discs corroded and pitted) although at the front the pads are only 15% worn. This is all after just 21000 miles. BigMac (see in thread above) appears to have had similar issues.

Have any of you techies got any thoughts on why theh rear brakes have worn so much quicker than the front??

Thanks

Jonathan