Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup flexbag cargo v Thule easy bag

S

ShmBK

Vehicle
Looking to buy
does anyone have experience comparing the two? Specifically in terms of water resistance and height.

I’m hoping to put our off road buggy (summit x3) in a bag and mount onto bike rack.

The Thule seems to have a nice strap for collapsing empty space.

Or can anyone suggest another way of transporting buggy outside of van?

I bought a 2nd hand Brandrup Flexbag through this forum (earlier T5 version as seems much bigger than the later T6 version) for use on my Atera tow bar rack with 1 or 2 bikes.
Have yet to use it in anger but it seems well made and should be pretty watertight. My only negative is that the zip seems to be under-specced and I would have preferred to see something chunkier. Otherwise it looks good

Big fan of the Thule base and bag, albeit slightly different usage than proposed

it’s well made, waterproof, tough zipped and packs down small

The straps pull everything tight and it’s fits extremely well to the base

DD5E67BF-1230-4DA8-8493-AAF869E7A9E6.jpeg

5455BB6F-ACF6-4B02-AB92-9D3A8E9424D0.jpeg

We use the Thule bag on the bike rack to carry our drive away awning. Works well for us.
9704C827-FF14-48AF-BE10-9DD73D181F1C.jpeg

Big fan of the Thule base and bag, albeit slightly different usage than proposed

it’s well made, waterproof, tough zipped and packs down small

The straps pull everything tight and it’s fits extremely well to the base

View attachment 52142

View attachment 52143

exactly what I’m hoping to do with mine in a few years. And from what you’ve described, the easy bag will tick all my boxes for now.

Are you using the easy base with easy bag there? Have you tried the easy bag on the bike rack?

exactly what I’m hoping to do with mine in a few years. And from what you’ve described, the easy bag will tick all my boxes for now.

Are you using the easy base with easy bag there? Have you tried the easy bag on the bike rack?
Yes, the bag is on the base....never tried it on the rack as it’s normally overloaded with bikes

pretty sure it would fit there with minimal effort

We fit ours on the bike rack (see picture in earlier post). We did have to buy an additional Thule strap which I wrap round the top bar of the bike rack and connects to the bag straps on the back of the bag. The straps at the bottom of the bag work fine.

I've been through lots of the considerations here. I bought the brandrup flexbag and it was OK but it's a bit saggy unless it is well filled up/padded out, and completely blocks the rear view when it is mounted on the tailgate bike rack, and is slow and fiddly to put on/take off. The zip is also a bit hard to use, but some silicone spray might have helped. By the look of the picture from @Nick.C above, the Thule bag looks a much better bet.

In the end, I found that the tailgate bike rack isn't ideal to use for bikes or bags because it prevents the boot lid staying open, unless you can mount/unmount the bikes/bag easily. So I sold the tailgate rack and the brandrup flexbag and bought an Atera Strada DL3 towbar bike rack, and with a little bit of modding, mounted a Thule rear cargo box onto it. This has the benefit of being able to easily slide out of the way to allow the boot to open, and the thule cargo box is massive - can pretty much put what you want in there!

2019-07-21 18.48.22.jpg

We fit ours on the bike rack (see picture in earlier post). We did have to buy an additional Thule strap which I wrap round the top bar of the bike rack and connects to the bag straps on the back of the bag. The straps at the bottom of the bag work fine.

i Assume you cant open the tailgate easily with this set up? I think the atera strada would have that advantage.

i Assume you cant open the tailgate easily with this set up? I think the atera strada would have that advantage.
Very true, but we don’t have a tow bar and the stuff comes off the bike rack as soon as we make base.

I bought a 2nd hand Brandrup Flexbag through this forum (earlier T5 version as seems much bigger than the later T6 version) for use on my Atera tow bar rack with 1 or 2 bikes.
Have yet to use it in anger but it seems well made and should be pretty watertight. My only negative is that the zip seems to be under-specced and I would have preferred to see something chunkier. Otherwise it looks good

@SailSki don't suppose you have tried to fit the T5 Brandrup Flexbag on the T6 style bike rack? Wondering if this would work as I would rather have the wider bag but have a T6 style rack and not sure if it would be secure?
Thanks

Sorry, can’t quite see from the pit... did you have to take the bike fittings off? Thx
Yes to give a reasonably flat base, but was easy to do. Also had to buy an additional strap to wrap round the top bar of bike rack and connect to the straps on the bag

How secure is the Thule bag?
It connects twice through the base and twice on the back bars of the base.....when connected it’s going nowhere if you fill the bag

i have never travelled with it half full but still feel it would be secure noting it is out of the wind.

i guess the box offers greater theft protection noting a knife would open it up, but if they really want my awning and have a knife, I’d probably help them lift it into their vehicle

There is another alternative to Thule/Brandrup and that is Fiamma. We’ve used the Fiamma Ultra 360 for years on our campers. It sits on the VW bike rack and is secured with stainless steel brackets to the frame. We fill it with bulky lightweight items to make more room on extended trips. Waterproof and secure and a good piece of kit at reasonable price, (got mine on eBay). Sorry if it’s slightly off topic.
68CBB28B-ECCA-48BB-899B-6EF4230202AC.png

I've been through lots of the considerations here. I bought the brandrup flexbag and it was OK but it's a bit saggy unless it is well filled up/padded out, and completely blocks the rear view when it is mounted on the tailgate bike rack, and is slow and fiddly to put on/take off. The zip is also a bit hard to use, but some silicone spray might have helped. By the look of the picture from @Nick.C above, the Thule bag looks a much better bet.

In the end, I found that the tailgate bike rack isn't ideal to use for bikes or bags because it prevents the boot lid staying open, unless you can mount/unmount the bikes/bag easily. So I sold the tailgate rack and the brandrup flexbag and bought an Atera Strada DL3 towbar bike rack, and with a little bit of modding, mounted a Thule rear cargo box onto it. This has the benefit of being able to easily slide out of the way to allow the boot to open, and the thule cargo box is massive - can pretty much put what you want in there!

View attachment 52232
We have just bought the Atera Strada DL3 and would like to attach the Thule back box on it much like you have done. Do you have some pictures of how you attached it successfully, be amazing if we could see how to do it

We have just bought the Atera Strada DL3 and would like to attach the Thule back box on it much like you have done. Do you have some pictures of how you attached it successfully, be amazing if we could see how to do it
Sent you a PM.

Sent you a PM.
Hi Degsy222, I'm thinking of doing the same and came across your post. Any chance you can share how you attached the Thule back box with the rest of us? It would be good to know how it's possible before buying all the gear. Thanks

Back