Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Breakdown insurance

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Not sure where to post this one. I have almost finished my first three years of ownership and now need to work out who will provide the best breakdown insurance for me. I travel to Europe once or twice a year.
Grateful for any views, stories, things to watch out for etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where to post this one. I have almost finished my first three years of ownership and now need to work out who will provide the best breakdown insurance for me. I travel to Europe once or twice a year.
Grateful for any views, stories, things to watch out for etc.

On our T5 we went for Greenflag in year 4 but went back to VW assist year 5 you buy it 2 year blocks and I was thinking best way if say roof failedor something like that.
We sold van and had a hole year to run but they refunded the full year Can not recal full price but it was conpetative.

I'm with Brittania, I've got the basic package plus personal cover for around £96 which includes my CSMA membership (this gives various discounts and cheaper car insurance with LV . The main attraction for me was the multi car cover and any car I'm travelling in. Also the cover extends to my partner and any car she is in. So between us we have 4 cars covered and any car we are travelling in for £96.

I joined AA with new member discount, then cancelled auto renew and rejoined again. Far cheaper. Until I moved in with V then we joined our memberships. There are plenty of benefits like 20% in services (prices are almost normal with that added on) and a few other perks.

I think we paid about £125 for a year for both of us last year . However this year the renewal was £260!!! That was without any use of the service (no breakdowns etc). Suffice to say we phoned up to cancel. They just said it was an auto renew... Clearly trying to abuse customers who don't take time to read their renewals. Seriously dubious business practice imho but we just denied permission for auto renew going forward to stop that shenanigans. ;) It has seriously put me off the AA to be honest despite knowing its a good service.

They renewed us for £140 for both of us again and we cancelled any auto renewal.

I've just renewed with VW European Assistance. £165 for two years. Would have been £10 less if I'd gone for auto-renewal. Not transferable to a new owner if I sell the van, but I can take the policy with me if I buy another VW- unless I've had to call them out!

I've just renewed with VW European Assistance. £165 for two years. Would have been £10 less if I'd gone for auto-renewal. Not transferable to a new owner if I sell the van, but I can take the policy with me if I buy another VW- unless I've had to call them out!
I have today been quoted £96 for 1 year or £155 for 2 years. No mention of auto renewal.

I have today been quoted £96 for 1 year or £155 for 2 years. No mention of auto renewal.
I was told £155 would be for auto renewal which could be cancelled with a phonecall. I suppose I should have accepted it and made a note to cancel auto renewal before they take it out in two years time. Not sure how soon you can cancel it, but hey, I've done it now.

I was told £155 would be for auto renewal which could be cancelled with a phonecall. I suppose I should have accepted it and made a note to cancel auto renewal before they take it out in two years time. Not sure how soon you can cancel it, but hey, I've done it now.
I've done the £155 2 year autorenew deal. Didn't seem worth messing about to save a few pounds going elsewhere. I did call them out once, and the service was excellent.

Like with car insurance, but if anything, worse. You just can't trust any of the breakdown companies not to stiff you if you just accept their renewal without checking it through and shopping round.

The RAC has just been caught out by the FCA for not telling customers what they were paying last year, when they renew. Naughty naughty. But they're all at it, in various devious and shape-shifting ways.

I've stuck with RAC long term but got alternative quotes this time from Green Flag (who tend to be cheaper but their 'model' is different as they sub out the actual breakdown callout service to local garages, so you're taking pot luck). Then went back to RAC and got their price down substantially.

I'm paying £286 on an 'any car' basis, for three family members, full bells/whistles. Includes unlimited continental Europe. I could get something cheaper but aside from the van we have several cars, one a 1962 classic, and I like to know everything's covered when I need it.

Also worth mentioning some of the 'packaged' bank accounts offer breakdown insurance.

Nationwide FlexPlus includes this, travel insurance and mobile phone insurance for £13 per month. I've used the breakdown insurance on multiple occasions with different vehicles and found the service to be exceptional. They are similar to Green Flag in that they use local companies but I get the impression this enhances the service as they have multiple companies in any given area and these companies seem keen to get the business. Every time I've had them arrive within the hour even on the two occasions that it was for a puncture which might ordinarily get you a slower service or a bit of flak for not doing it yourself!