Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Britstop confrontation ... does size matter?

I was thinking why would I want a printer, expensive printer ink and a ream of paper and what would I do even if I printed something where would I put it
Mind you I do carry a nice bottle of wine in case I bump into Granny Jen and Albert

I got totally pissed off carrying 4 or 5 ordnance survey maps. My 2nd Lands end - John 'o'groats I was at times carrying 4 or 5 of the things. So, wanting to do the South West Coast path, something that would at times necessitate three maps in my rucksack, I took to printing out my own.

Equally running routes, especially 10 miles or over, to print large scale street-map legible, is invaluable.

I got totally pissed off carrying 4 or 5 ordnance survey maps. My 2nd Lands end - John 'o'groats I was at times carrying 4 or 5 of the things. So, wanting to do the South West Coast path, something that would at times necessitate three maps in my rucksack, I took to printing out my own.

Equally running routes, especially 10 miles or over, to print large scale street-map legible, is invaluable.
I've got a large plastic "really useful" box full of OS maps which I'm now wondering what to do with since I started using OS maps my smartphone for walking/cycling. But do you need to print them out? Can you carry a smartphone while running?

Since I started using the (much improved, although still flawed) OS mobile app recently, I'm thinking also of carrying a small printer for them in the van, eg the good old HP450 series, or whatever the current version of that is.

Meanwhile I'll keep on using the mobile app on my phone, and hope the battery keeps going until I get down off the hill or otherwise rely on Silva compass and dumb luck that it won't take me over a crag. Paper maps are for wimps :rolleyes:

Since I started using the (much improved, although still flawed) OS mobile app recently, I'm thinking also of carrying a small printer for them in the van, eg the good old HP450 series, or whatever the current version of that is.

Meanwhile I'll keep on using the mobile app on my phone, and hope the battery keeps going until I get down off the hill or otherwise rely on Silva compass and dumb luck that it won't take me over a crag. Paper maps are for wimps :rolleyes:
Never known a 'Paper' map to run out of battery or break if dropped.:D

I've got a large plastic "really useful" box full of OS maps which I'm now wondering what to do with since I started using OS maps my smartphone for walking/cycling. But do you need to print them out? Can you carry a smartphone while running?

I need to work out how to use a smartphone.If I say "give me directions from A to B" then it often wants to send me where I do not want to go.

I was thinking why would I want a printer, expensive printer ink and a ream of paper and what would I do even if I printed something where would I put it
Mind you I do carry a nice bottle of wine in case I bump into Granny Jen and Albert

A4 paper, folded in three, fits nicely over my Gel belt .... and of course I can lose a page every time I go on to the next one :)

The record for the John O Groats to lands end in 1928 was set at 28 1/2 hours by Richard Heart Davis on a belt driven Motor cycle he chose a full moon he had to carry all his spares was met at crossroads on the way for petrol stops no traffic lights and had to push his bike the last 3 miles as he had run out of exhaust valves I took 5 days riding my 1913 triumph but could not ride at night because of gas lights the route is now around 200 miles longer than the original route
The RAC banned the run as they considered too many people would try to break the record

I'm quite pleased that the vast majority of folk don't know the value of the Cali otherwise they would attract even more attention than they already do

True. Every time some one asks me the price of the van by guessing a price first they always seem to out by around twenty grand!!!!!!!

The record for the John O Groats to lands end in 1928 was set at 28 1/2 hours by Richard Heart Davis on a belt driven Motor cycle he chose a full moon he had to carry all his spares was met at crossroads on the way for petrol stops no traffic lights and had to push his bike the last 3 miles as he had run out of exhaust valves I took 5 days riding my 1913 triumph but could not ride at night because of gas lights the route is now around 200 miles longer than the original route
The RAC banned the run as they considered too many people would try to break the record

I took 35 days but I was on foot :)

Can't compare though, there is no official route, I wandered all over the place trying to avoid A Roads like the plague.

Never known a 'Paper' map to run out of battery or break if dropped.:D

Well okay yes that's true. And they have an intuitive image-rotate function (you put your head on one side while twisting arms the other way), and zoom (just hold it closer to your face and pop your reading glasses on).

Well okay yes that's true. And they have an intuitive image-rotate function (you put your head on one side while twisting arms the other way), and zoom (just hold it closer to your face and pop your reading glasses on).
Not prone to attack by viruses but can carry them.

A4 paper, folded in three, fits nicely over my Gel belt .... and of course I can lose a page every time I go on to the next one :)
I had a ring bound A3 map book of France, they are now about 15 quid...but covers the whole of France,,,would be a couple of hundred to buy each individual map....and a lot of space
I carefully tear out the page I want, use it, then put it back
Ideal if you are not really sure where you are going

Park sideways in aires, that stops em.
Oh Jen, well done! And you kept your cool enough to really show them up. I fear that i may have started shouting and being , well, you know, aggressive. But you did so well.

True. Every time some one asks me the price of the van by guessing a price first they always seem to out by around twenty grand!!!!!!!
Whenever I get talking to people about the van I always say, well, it is about the size of a big Merc. From there we go onto price...........

I hate talking price, it somehow cheapens the true value of a camper which is the freedom lifestyle. If asked I simply say think of a big modern van with 4wd and automatic, all the technology you would expect of a modern high spec car plus about £30k of camping equipment. Somehow £70k doesn't sound so much.

After long drive needed to stop and tried Chartres camping site which was full but was squeezed on with the tents in lovely dell. Can't do that in a big un.

After long drive needed to stop and tried Chartres camping site which was full but was squeezed on with the tents in lovely dell. Can't do that in a big un.

Lovely!

I had something similar on our next stop on this trip.

Pulled up at the Britstop, a pub with BnB, right on the pennine way. I did not want to park outside the pub, the busy A62, lots of road noise and did not want two excited dogs jumping out of the van on such a busy road, so asked was there anywhere behind? "Only the camping field, if you can get in it, tight turn, narrow gate and boggy track" .... no problem! Peace and quiet whilst anything bigger was parked in the roadside car park.

Our Cali is our car. Try nipping down to Tesco's every day in a big Hymer. Size does matter!

Back