Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken fixing for lock on water tank?

G

gateway77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi
looking for some advice on a broken lock mechanism for the fresh water fill up.
i.e. the lockable cap next to the external power socket, rear nearside of van.

It looks like the internal fixing ( black cylinder approx 30mm deep) that the cap locks into has been broken or just come loose, I'm not sure which.

The result is that once locked I can just turn the lockable cap around in any direction (which i think is normal) but I can also pull it straight out of the neck of the tank.

Has anyone had this happen and resolved it successfully?

I have done a search but maybe am not putting the correct terms in - so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

My assumption is that I can use some sealant to fix the gasket in place and then continue to be able to lock the cap.

Much obliged for any tips or advice.
:(

Last edited:
Are you sure you have locked it, from using mine I have know you can lock the cap in such a way that the lock has not engaged and it can be pulled off.
However if broken I would use the warranty given by VW.

Are you sure you putted the cap on correct , it is very common to put it on not correct and it can be locked turning the key but it is not locked on the fillelhole.
If you look carefull on the inside of the cap there are three marks , the need to be inline with the marks on the fillerhole when pushed on ....then turn the key in locked position .
Always check if putted on correct by pulling the cap .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

When I pull the cap straight out (after I think its locked) I can separate it into two parts.
The outer is the cap with lock and then there is the black cylinder that I can remove from the cap.
I'm pretty sure this bit should be fixed to the fill hole.

Warranty is the way to go I'm sure, but off to Glastonbury tomorrow so need a quick fix to make sure I don't loose it on the way.

Perhaps a cheap petrol filler cap would fit as a temporary measure.

Back