Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken headlight covers

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I bought these a couple of months ago just before a trip to France. No problems fitting them and attaching the blackout bits, so all good.
On my return the ther day from Normandy I noticed one of them was broken with only half of the cover remaining.
Thinking it was a fault I took thr Cali this morning to Heritage VW in Bristol where I was told the likely cause was someone trying to remove it!
I then placed my finger inside the good one and pulled quite gently trying to indicate to the parts manager that it should not break. But of course it did!
So now both broken.
Seems they are not too tough. I could order another set, they nly come in 2's but they are £60 ish o not cheap.

I was thinking of ordering these but now off put my your post and when thinking about it I have never broken a head light since 1978 when I rear ended a Hilman Imp soyou have made my mind up not to bother
Andy

I also bought a set before heading to the continent. One of them broke whilst driving along, I was just lucky it did not damage the paintwork!!

I've been meaning to try vw for a new pair but might not bother now...

Out of interest, did vw replace it or offer a refund?

CD

Just got a set via dealer with some other bits but they were Brandrup, about £30.......
Obviously not made to be pulled & tugged but to stop stones breaking headlamp units at £150 or so each. get another set for economy got to be VFM. Our local dealer is CityGate + Wooburn Green Nr High Wycome, really nice guys & Brandrup accessories under brochure, some more than others.

I was thinking of ordering a set of these so now I'm thinking, is it possible that the cheaper (£30pair) Brandup ones are stronger or better quality than the (£60pair) VW ones ??
has any one got the answer ? :?

Not seen the brandrup ones so cannot comment on their quality. I have the VW ones and have been on my cali since Nov 2010 and they are fine. They are very inconspicuous and I have to point them out if anyone asks. If you decide to buy the VW ones don't forget to ring SMG for a great discount! ;)

m18rus said:
Just got a set via dealer with some other bits but they were Brandrup, about £30.......
Obviously not made to be pulled & tugged but to stop stones breaking headlamp units at £150 or so each. get another set for economy got to be VFM. Our local dealer is CityGate + Wooburn Green Nr High Wycome, really nice guys & Brandrup accessories under brochure, some more than others.

How are you getting on with Those £30 Brandrup headlight covers.
Any breakages so far ? Do they look ok (compared to the VW ones) ?
Do they have the facility and come with the 'sticky tape kit' and info as to where to stick them ?

Answers from anyone much appreciated.
Cheers Eric.

I had a set of the VW ones for heading to France,(and general protection), but one broke in half while driving along. When we had the strong winds a couple of weeks ago, I came out in the morning to find the other one was hanging off by the metal fixing bracket! I know it was not vandalism.

Seriously unimpressed by this VW.

As mentioned above, I'll take my chances without them in future. Would not wish to lose one on the motorway and be responsible for an accident or get sued by someone whose windscreen/bonnet/face I hit with it as it flew off at 70mph...

CD

I have also just bought the VW light covers and when fitting could see that it is possible to have the wrap round bit flapping and not touching the headlight itself. This when driving will oscillate and weaken the plexiglas. I suggest a double check to make sure they are a snug fit.

Just a note to always ask for a discount on your VW sourced parts from your local dealer . I have never been refused and never got less than 10%. It would appear that the dealers don't have much profit in some items ( the bike rack being one ) but 10% on everything like SMG should be the norm. I would buy from SMG but living in North Lincs and addition of P&P it makes no sense. So don't want to step on the toes of the site sponsor but for us northern folk with short arms and long pockets every penny counts. :D

Back