Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Headlight Covers

SteveM

SteveM

VIP Member
I thought I would do the simple thing and buy the VW headlight covers that come with markings for deflectors for continental use. They are however not proving that simple at all. On fitting them they seem a pretty poor fit at the bottom where the light wraps around to the the side of the van (they are 1cm + clear of the light). At the top on the side they are also touching the bonnet ... with potential to rub and damage the paint. Does anyone have these covers? Is this normal or do I have a duff pair?

[album]1010[/album]
[album]1011[/album]

(click through on the second photo to see what I mean... made them a bit small for upload).

I was think of getting some strong double sided tape to stick them down... is this a bad idea? I do want to take them off when I return.

Thanks,

Steve

Mine are just the same I think it's normal. Mine were vw :thumb

Thanks for your responses.... makes you wonder why VW can't get this right! I have added double sided tape at the mid way point between the two 'bobbles' at the bottom where they are sticking out. Using extra strong 'servo' tape - holding so far! When the family get back I might file off the 'bobble' under the main beam light at the bottom to enable them to sit closer in naturally.

Steve

Tape did not hold... so filed down the middle bobble on the bottom and the bobble at the top which sits at the side.They are actually rubbery so reduced them to a couple mm's (carefully!). Both sides now sit much better. Well worth the couple minutes to achieve.

Steve.

I had a set of these included with my van but within a week of putting them back on someone stole them :( There appears to be no security fixing?

A worry for me as well - as people keep on having a go at getting bits off my van. There was a screw and bracket fixing with mine that attaches under the bonnet, but this is still not great security. I have not used it is meant for permanent fixing. We intend to use them only when abroad so push fix works for us - as long as they remain on!

Steve.

I have a set used for driving abroad and always fix them with the screw, washer & bracket. The rubberised bobble would seem to be for holding them slightly off the glass so as to not mark the glass or allow the screw to touch the headlamp glass. Fitting is a little awkward until you get used to it. Nothing on the fitting diagram I have indicated that the metal bracket is only for permanent fitting: I'd expect them to fall off without it. They're easy enough to take off, even though you need to be careful not to lose the scree, washer & bracket. The bracket ought to prevent casual removal without the bonnet up.

Currently working as expected 2000 miles & 2 weeks into current trip.

Chris

Interesting topic for me as I was just about to buy a set for my trip abroad. They certainly aren't cheap so maybe I should get some of those adhesive refractors? Any experience with them?
Cheers.
Pat

I had the same problem with the VW headlight covers. The dealer tried three sets and all fitted badly/differently. In the end we returned them for a refund as we could see damage to the paint on the edge of the bonnet being a problem.

We have just returned from France where we had fitted the latest Eurolites 'Anti Scorch' headlight deflectors. After 3 weeks, they were removed easily, and any glue residue cleaned off easily with VW screen wash. No problems with them at all.

Dave...

Back