Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bruges, Belgium in a Cali

Pro moochers

Pro moochers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
First instalment of our European road trip takes us to Bruges in Belgium and what a stunning place it is!
Just over an hour from Calais eurotunnel exit and we slept in an aire costing only €19.
More videos to come as we’ve stayed in numerous countries so far, currently in Switzerland…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful representation of our city; some explanation for your 'cardboard comment': the restoration and redesign of the Provincial Court (Proveniaal Hof) on the Brugse Markt. The neo-Gothic building will be under scaffolding until the end of 2021. The restoration works will take three years. A construction site cloth with a life-size facade print is attached to the scaffolding so that the building does not completely disappear from the street scene. In addition, gigantic yard panels with a total length of 52 meters provide information about the works, the history and the future of the building. The side panels will be adjusted regularly throughout the renovation period and will always provide an explanation of the current phase. It is the former seat of the provincial government of West Flanders and is located on the site where the Waterhalle, a harbor building, was erected in 1294.
About 'the people digging for bones': these are excavations of part of the 'Onze-Lieve-Vrouwkerkhof' near the church of the same name, where an underground pumping station will be built to make the water in the canals purer. Before these works start, archaeological research will take place and in the meantime they have come across about 50 graves and many skeletons; a beautifully painted burial vault from the 14th century was also found. Seven tombs have now been discovered that are more than 1000 years old. Now, wherever you put a spade in the ground in the center of Bruges, you will encounter something historic ;)
The next time you come, visit the church 'Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk' to admire the Madonna and Child/Madonna met kind (a marble sculpture by Michelangelo). This sculpture is also featured in the movie 'The Monuments Men'.

Have fun with your journey!
Greetings
Calibusje

On our last visit to Bruges we stumbled across a film set on the steps of Proveniaal Hof, of all things a Bollywood film was being filmed there.

I’m going to Bruges over the 2-5th December to visit the Christmas markets.

We spent Christmas in Bruges one year. Lovely Christmas Market, and the shops, restaurants and bars stay open on Christmas Day. Just a wonderful place to spend Christmas.

very kind - are the christmas markets worthy of a visit from the UK - thanks
I would think so, but covid is back again so we"ll have to see if new measurements will be taken... probably mouthmask + proof of vaccination

very kind - are the christmas markets worthy of a visit from the UK - thanks
hmm, until a few years ago I would say: not really, but the last one I experienced was very beautiful and atmospheric. As BrugseB says: due to covid there will be some restrictions to visit the Christmas market.
Greetings

I took a mini cruise to Bruges and fell in love with the place, so historic. Would love to do the trip in my new Cali Ocean

Maybe do Bruges and Ghent. I think they're only about 1hr apart

I’m going to Bruges over the 2-5th December to visit the Christmas markets.

We’re thinking of doing the same. Waiting to see how Covid pans out…
Not been for a few years

You’re all welcome, if you're staying at camping Memling and I know, I'll bring a beer. If you're not there, I'll put it at your sliding door. No stings attached.
If you come for the Christmas market, inform yourself about the corona measures that will probably come.
And if it has been a while since you came or have you never been there: every year it gets a little better. The last time was very nicely done and atmospheric.
Greetings
Calibusje

You’re all welcome, if you're staying at camping Memling and I know, I'll bring a beer.
It looks like we will be there next Thursday on our way to Gent en Aalst ;=)

We visited Bruges a few weeks ago and stayed at Camping Memling. Really nice site and around 3Km walk into the centre. Really enjoyed Bruges, beautiful place.

We’ve been back to Belgium as we love it.
This time was Ypres which was funny, VERY WEIRD and emotional all in one trip

Ypres is PERFECT! | 2021 Europe road trip finale | Vanlife Belgium

Hello everybody.
A few more facts and information for potential visitors to the Bruges Christmas market: No more chalets this winter on the Bruges Christmas market, but black containers. Bruges desires renewal and opted for a contemporary design (by Piet Bostoen). Together with the Wintergloed light trail - a light experience walk, what a name - it is especially beautiful at night. However: at the moment there are already traders who threaten to stop due to too few visitors (Corona safe ticket, mouth mask but certainly also the rain we've had for days). Now, we must stay positive and hope for drier weather and cooperating traders who are not so quick to decide to stop. It's definitely a much-discussed Christmas market this time, that's for sure, but be welcome.
Greetings
Calibusje

Hello everybody.
A few more facts and information for potential visitors to the Bruges Christmas market: No more chalets this winter on the Bruges Christmas market, but black containers. Bruges desires renewal and opted for a contemporary design (by Piet Bostoen). Together with the Wintergloed light trail - a light experience walk, what a name - it is especially beautiful at night. However: at the moment there are already traders who threaten to stop due to too few visitors (Corona safe ticket, mouth mask but certainly also the rain we've had for days). Now, we must stay positive and hope for drier weather and cooperating traders who are not so quick to decide to stop. It's definitely a much-discussed Christmas market this time, that's for sure, but be welcome.
Greetings
Calibusje

Hopefully things get better for Bruges

Hopefully things get better for Bruges

It does: put some stalls and hang some lights in Bruges and it is a Christmas market, some extra and there is a ‘Wintergloed’ light show :embarrased
Greetings and best wishes to you all.

7EA0474B-363A-4801-A790-5A2B0CB4021E.jpeg
3A072E62-E89F-4DC7-A779-5D67AC491F06.jpeg
A20017E0-B6E5-46CE-9731-C2A321EDC01C.jpeg
33D041B0-6E1B-4E8F-B346-FCCBEB7A9709.jpeg
6FD9D7EA-B96D-4D25-8918-D6BDD5E74D45.jpeg
12AEAC7C-2E89-48EA-AB33-8C9F265970CD.jpeg
9F26A0E8-28C5-4099-8AEF-3B46A218413D.jpeg

We had a good time in Brugge last weekend, ok the market wasn’t as big as normal but all the other shops in the city make up for it. We stayed at the aforementioned site and sit was super simple to check in and the site was clean and well serviced.
59f0e9fcae12e355557004fc35c977a2.jpg

Back