Burning RUBBER smell.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Burning smells is a subject that has been posted on previously, but it's specifically the cause of the smell of burning rubber from under the bonnet that I'm trying to trace.

It has randomly occurred on our T6 ever since it was new, and now with 14000 miles on the clock it still happens. So far it hasn't burst into flames, and nothing has stopped working, but it just baffles me as to the cause. When it happens it is very strong smell. Has anyone got any ideas of the cause?

Burning smells is a subject that has been posted on previously, but it's specifically the cause of the smell of burning rubber from under the bonnet that I'm trying to trace.

It has randomly occurred on our T6 ever since it was new, and now with 14000 miles on the clock it still happens. So far it hasn't burst into flames, and nothing has stopped working, but it just baffles me as to the cause. When it happens it is very strong smell. Has anyone got any ideas of the cause?
We always have a problem when I'm wearing my wellies.

Usually the Euro6 system regenerating. Fans running and idle rev's higher than normal.

Did the VW suggested method of running a few miles in a low gear to clean the system and won't do it again as hot rubbery smell was quite alarming/worrying.

If the rad fan runs on when you stop it has been in regen mode. It can smell a bit like burning rubber as the engine runs hotter. You can watch the oil temperature. It usually rises by about 5 degrees when it happens. Other than that I'm stumped. Could be a pipe somewhere touching the engine or exhaust?

If it occurs after starting on cold mornings then it will be the aux water heater, ours does it.
Other times it’s usually the regeration as mentioned above.

If it occurs after starting on cold mornings then it will be the aux water heater, ours does it.
Other times it’s usually the regeration as mentioned above.
Good point. If its below 5 degrees that kicks in

Thanks for your imput.
Seems that regen mode is the most likely cause, but as all Cali's do this, I would have thought a lots more owners would complain of this burning Rubber smell, also if it is the regen mode that is responsible, why does it smell under the bonnet, surely any smell would be emitted out of the tailpipe!

Thanks for your imput.
Seems that regen mode is the most likely cause, but as all Cali's do this, I would have thought a lots more owners would complain of this burning Rubber smell, also if it is the regen mode that is responsible, why does it smell under the bonnet, surely any smell would be emitted out of the tailpipe!
All the components that get really hot are just behind the engine.

As already mentioned if it’s intermittent then it’s caused by dpf regent next time you get the smell when safe to do so stop with the vehicle in neutral and feet off the pedals if the engine rev’s are around the 1000rpm mark then the vehicle is in regen there is also normally a rushing air sound from the exhaust. Euro 6 engines regen a lot more than Euro 5 and will normally regen every 2 hours of an accumulative drive cycle ie drive 30 mins one day 30 mins the next an hour the next and it will go into regen. Also we have recently been advised to tell all customers not to let there t6 vehicles drop below a quarter of a tank as the vehicle will not regen correctly and will cause an engine light to come on there will be no dpf warning light if below a quarter of a tank. Hope that makes sense

Vw Guru thanks for your detailed imput as usual,

Whatever is causing the intense smell of burning Rubber, this indicates to me that something is not working as it should or in an undesirable way. Smells like this set alarm bells ringing to me.

Sorry but VW thinking letting the tank drop below a quarter full renders the regen not to function correctly doesn't make any sense to me. Oh the little foibles of owning a VW

Vw Guru thanks for your detailed imput as usual,

Whatever is causing the intense smell of burning Rubber, this indicates to me that something is not working as it should or in an undesirable way. Smells like this set alarm bells ringing to me.

Sorry but VW thinking letting the tank drop below a quarter full renders the regen not to function correctly doesn't make any sense to me. Oh the little foibles of owning a VW
Hi the reason for the vehicle not regenerating under halve a tank is due to.

1 the fuel will not sufficient cool enough going round the fuel system with less than 1/4 of a tank.

2 depending on how the vehicle is being driven with a 1/4 of a tank or less there is a possibility the vehicle could run out of fuel during the regen phase

2 depending on how the vehicle is being driven with a 1/4 of a tank or less there is a possibility the vehicle could run out of fuel during the regen phase
It is like 250-300km to go with quarter tank, which I mostly refill at red zone concerned only about heting not working.
Will we come to next suggestions to not drive slower than 30kmh, not less than 50km trip, open doors only 1 at a time.
VW was solving my whistling cold engine sounds recently for the 10th time and seeing a fridge in a beach and some cable extensions from cig sockets came up with another genius idea, that I might be loading the 180amps? alternator too much.

W
It is like 250-300km to go with quarter tank, which I mostly refill at red zone concerned only about heting not working.
Will we come to next suggestions to not drive slower than 30kmh, not less than 50km trip, open doors only 1 at a time.
VW was solving my whistling cold engine sounds recently for the 10th time and seeing a fridge in a beach and some cable extensions from cig sockets came up with another genius idea, that I might be loading the 180amps? alternator too much.

Which engine do you have ?

150kw 204hp one

So there are two technical bulletins on this one for unfavorable matching between the cambelt and tensioner and one for the alternator belt running off the edge of the tensioner. The load on the alternator is rubbish

Do these tech bulletins just apply to the 204hp engine, or all engine variants please?

Do these tech bulletins just apply to the 204hp engine, or all engine variants please?

Hi They apply to the 150 and 204 engines. For the cambelt and the auxiliary belt applies to all the euro 6 engines

Hi the reason for the vehicle not regenerating under halve a tank is due to.

1 the fuel will not sufficient cool enough going round the fuel system with less than 1/4 of a tank.

What happens to those T6 vans where the driver, to keep weight down for fuel economy, never refuels above 1/4 tank?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back