Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Burning RUBBER smell.

The 15 biggest ships produce more sulfur oxide pollutants than all the cars in the world, because they run on completely different fuels. A ship produces more carbon dioxide emission per mile and per gallon of fuel than a car. Ships in general, however, have the lowest emission levels of any other method of cargo transport , producing fewer emissions per ton of freight per mile than barges, trains or trucks.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-th...orld-produce-more-pollution-than-all-the-cars

Good article here.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ.../2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car[/QUOTE]

From Sunderland?
Didn't realise VW made their E/hybrid vehicles in the UK.

A bit of thread creep going on now, only a matter of time before the "B" word is mentioned... :)

Land Rovers have/had a fuel cooler which used the engine cooling water to do the job. Does VW have any such thing fitted on the T6?

Land Rovers have/had a fuel cooler which used the engine cooling water to do the job. Does VW have any such thing fitted on the T6?

No they don’t weirdly they removed the fuel coolers on T5gp all T5s had them now they have done away with them I have no idea why seems silly to me :headbang

No they don’t weirdly they removed the fuel coolers on T5gp all T5s had them now they have done away with them I have no idea why seems silly to me :headbang
Probably the accounting bean counters cutting production costs.

A bit of thread creep going on now, only a matter of time before the "B" word is mentioned... :)

A bit of thread creep !
The "B" word was in the thread title ----- Burning RUBBER smell.

The discussions on Regen and ocean going cargo ships is all very intresting but doesn't give me a satisfactory answer to the cause of the SMELL of burning rubber.
If food becomes overheated when cooking, it smells of burning food, resulting in damaged food and damaged cooking receptacle. Therefore, do I take it that when the Nox particles are burnt during regen they smell of burning rubber, but how does that smell emanate from under the bonnet? Is it because both the inlet and exhaust valves are slightly open and allowing the emissions to exit through the inlet tract into the engine bay rather than through the exhaust? I can't imagine that's possible, but perhaps it is. No, that's a silly idea!
To my mind the smell of burning rubber means that rubber somewhere is getting too hot and will result in it being damaged.

A bit of thread creep !

The discussions on Regen and ocean going cargo ships is all very intresting but doesn't give me a satisfactory answer to the cause of the SMELL of burning rubber.
If food becomes overheated when cooking, it smells of burning food, resulting in damaged food and damaged cooking receptacle. Therefore, do I take it that when the Nox particles are burnt during regen they smell of burning rubber, but how does that smell emanate from under the bonnet? Is it because both the inlet and exhaust valves are slightly open and allowing the emissions to exit through the inlet tract into the engine bay rather than through the exhaust? I can't imagine that's possible, but perhaps it is. No, that's a silly idea!
To my mind the smell of burning rubber means that rubber somewhere is getting too hot and will result in it being damaged.

Actually the smell you get is from two things one during the first few thousand miles the oil coating from the exhaust burns off this is just residue left from factory and 2 the transport wax and body wax gets hot creating that smell it’s all perfectly normal due to the 600degree plus temperatures during regen

VW have effectively reduced the range of the vehicle by a quarter with this instruction!

Er ... in what circumstances? Surely delaying regen until the fuel tank is sufficiently full is a very short temporary situation, except of course I guess for those who invariably run on relatively low fuel levels ... but that in itself reduces the range.

A bit of thread creep !

Yup ... that makes sense. Might be worth having the Cali up on a hoist & exploring where the “hot parts”are in proximity to rubber?

Actually the smell you get is from two things one during the first few thousand miles the oil coating from the exhaust burns off this is just residue left from factory and 2 the transport wax and body wax gets hot creating that smell it’s all perfectly normal due to the 600degree plus temperatures during regen
Actually still get the hot rubber smell 18 months down the line, probably don't notice it if regen takes place well before actually stopping. Only notice the smell when getting out never on the move. Instinct says worry about it but....'normal' characteristic!

I have had the burning smell several times, and it was because the alternator free wheel pulley was partially siezed The belt eventually broke.

As already mentioned if it’s intermittent then it’s caused by dpf regent next time you get the smell when safe to do so stop with the vehicle in neutral and feet off the pedals if the engine rev’s are around the 1000rpm mark then the vehicle is in regen there is also normally a rushing air sound from the exhaust. Euro 6 engines regen a lot more than Euro 5 and will normally regen every 2 hours of an accumulative drive cycle ie drive 30 mins one day 30 mins the next an hour the next and it will go into regen. Also we have recently been advised to tell all customers not to let there t6 vehicles drop below a quarter of a tank as the vehicle will not regen correctly and will cause an engine light to come on there will be no dpf warning light if below a quarter of a tank. Hope that makes sense

Hi Vw guru . You mention a dpf warning light on a t6 . Is there a light on t5? I’ve never seen one and have only been aware of regen 3 or 4 times in 30k miles usually when I stop.

Another question . Is it my imagination but mpg seems to improve a lot on a long run . For instance Bournemouth to Maidenhead winter tyres some in snow and ice this weekend average 65/70 mph on motorway + traffic 34 mpg . Return journey same conditions but 55/60 mph and traffic 40.7 mpg . We also averaged 36.7 mpg towing approximately 3/4 ton for 7000 mls to Nordkapp through mountains and snow . Very pleased .

Last edited:
Hi Vw guru . You mention a dpf warning light on a t6 . Is there a light on t5? I’ve never seen one and have only been aware of regen 3 or 4 times in 30k miles squally when I stop.

Another question . Is it my imagination but mpg seems to improve a lot on a long run . For instance Bournemouth to Maidenhead winter tyres some in snow and ice this weekend average 65/70 mph on motorway + traffic 34 mpg . Return journey same conditions but 55/60 mph and traffic 40.7 mpg . We also averaged 36.7 mpg towing approximately 3/4 ton for 7000 mls to Nordkapp through mountains and snow . Very pleased .

Hi @Trebor yes your T5gp has a dpf light and it’s good that you have not seen it. The purpose of the dpf light (which looks like a rectangle with a lot of dots inside it) is to inform you that the particulate filter has not been able to enter regen by itself and needs your help to regenerate i.e. drive in 4th or 5th gear at a constant 2000 rpm. Not seeing the light means your driving the vehicle perfectly to allow the vehicle to get on with all the processes it needs to .:thumb

Yes you are correct the longer the journey the better the fuel economy gets a strange phenomenon happens with engines when they are constantly sat a a consistent speed on a motorway they get into a cycle where the fuel required becomes less and less to create the same power so the longer the time and the steadier the engine the better the economy.

Thanks @Vw guru . That’s very interesting . I sometimes drive around town in sports mode for a few minutes if I haven’t done a long journey for a while . My thinking is the slightly higher revs might help clear the dpf. Is that a good idea ?

Thanks @Vw guru . That’s very interesting . I sometimes drive around town in sports mode for a few minutes if I haven’t done a long journey for a while . My thinking is the slightly higher revs might help clear the dpf. Is that a good idea ?

Hi yes I see no reason why that would not help the harder a Diesel engine works the better it is and higher temperature will always help the dpf

Slipping or misaligned auxiliary drive belt ? though at mileage covered it would reasonably have been expected to fail by now.

Thanks, but this does not explain my 2018 Cali strong burning rubber smell when I started my engine in the morning after frosty night, my auxiliary heater was on level 2 over night, my Cali is approx 7000 miles? do you have another explaintion?

Thanks, but this does not explain my 2018 Cali strong burning rubber smell when I started my engine in the morning after frosty night, my auxiliary heater was on level 2 over night, my Cali is approx 7000 miles? do you have another explaintion?
There is a second heater that heats up the engine coolant on cold mornings. It will be that you can smell.

Thanks, Where does it located? is it at engine bay or under the the car?

Thanks, Where does it located? is it at engine bay or under the the car?
Passenger side engine bay with exhaust in the wheel arch front passenger side. RHD vehicle.

Thanks, Do I need to remove the splash guard underneath the car as well to check the coolant heater after this burning rubber smell I had after a frosty night?

Back