Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Burnt out charging unit

N

Nobby.c

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Anyone know of someone that can revamp a burnt unit please before I shell out for a new one ? Would rather have an original one rather than a normal charger . Thanks in advance

Mine did the same, not sure how bad yours is but mine melted itself and was well beyond saving.

A new one is over £500 and Fraron do a westfalia kit which is plug and play more or less at £200.

Loads of threads on this, have a search.

Mine had melted too, doesn't matter, some parts were exchanged, everything cleaned toroughly, tested, and output voltage was increased. Paid 120 euro for that to a retired electrowizzard. I don't know what postage would cost you, the guy lives in The Netherlands, but if you would consider I could get you in touch.

Mine had melted too, doesn't matter, some parts were exchanged, everything cleaned toroughly, tested, and output voltage was increased. Paid 120 euro for that to a retired electrowizzard. I don't know what postage would cost you, the guy lives in The Netherlands, but if you would consider I could get you in touch.
If you could that would be great as not having much luck here in the uk

can't PM you, but it's no secret, Henk is famous over here: check out https://www.hrwerkplaats.nl/contact; a package can only be sent from abroad to this address (you can't send s'thing to a postbox):
Baden Powellweg 181
1069LG AMSTERDAM
Nederland

This is how mine looked :-(
lader_stuk.jpg

I replaced mine for the Fraron unit when I'd seen a spate of the original units bursting into smoke! It's not worth keeping onto original items just for the nostalgia. Its old tech and the new units are much better. The FraRon unit can charge the starter battery too. No brainer for me. It's not like you can see it either. Its tucked away and you'll never know.

I replaced mine for the Fraron unit when I'd seen a spate of the original units bursting into smoke! It's not worth keeping onto original items just for the nostalgia. Its old tech and the new units are much better. The FraRon unit can charge the starter battery too. No brainer for me. It's not like you can see it either. Its tucked away and you'll never know.
Whats the running noise like if u dobt mind me asking

I didn't find mine too bad. Iirc they have different levels, it was just when it was in full charge mode the fan would be going.
When it trips into float, the fan would go off.

A year since I sold my van however so my memories may be wrong.

Back